Stroke Recovery

Torito

Hello everybody. First post but have been reading the forum for years.

My grandfather recently had a stroke. He has survived but is recovering in hospital and has lost the use of his left side. He is on daily aspirin but has been told he cannot stay on this due to side effects (I have told him this is not true).

I have read a few studies on niacinamide having positive effect on brain recovery after a stroke but was wondering if anyone has any other ideas or studies to show pro metabolic drugs/ supplements having a positive effect on stroke recovery?

I'm quite inclined to give him niacinamide and maybe pregnenolone after he gets out of hospital to aid his recovery but need some ideas on dosage. I have used both before (and many other substances suggested on this forum) on myself with positive results so not a complete beginner with them.

Many thanks.

"A generous supply of glycine/gelatin, against a balanced background of amino acids, has a great variety of antistress actions. Glycine is recognized as an “inhibitory” neurotransmitter, and promotes natural sleep. Used as a supplement, it has helped to promote recovery from strokes and seizures, and to improve learning and memory." -Ray Peat

OP
T

Torito

"A generous supply of glycine/gelatin, against a balanced background of amino acids, has a great variety of antistress actions. Glycine is recognized as an “inhibitory” neurotransmitter, and promotes natural sleep. Used as a supplement, it has helped to promote recovery from strokes and seizures, and to improve learning and memory." -Ray Peat

Thanks. I might start making him some jelly/jello and taking it into hospital for him. He is having.trouble sleeping so may help.

HDD

This is an old post by Peatarian:

"In another interview RP talks about a young woman whose mother had suffered a stroke and was partially paralyzed. The young woman misunderstood something Peat had told her (he recommended soda, meaning Coca-Cola, she understood baking soda) and gave her mother baking soda. Her mother's paralysis was gone completely and never returned."
Do Things Sometimes Get Worse Before They Get Better?

Your grandfather is very fortunate to have you helping him.

zooma

Ray Peat said:
In a nutrition class, in the late 70s, I described the way metabolically produced carbon dioxide opens blood vessels in the brain, and mentioned that carbonated water, or “soda water,” should improve circulation to the brain when the brain’s production of carbon dioxide wasn’t adequate. A week later, a student said she had gone home that night and (interpreting soda water as bicarbonate of soda in water) given her stroke-paralyzed mother a glass of water with a spoonful of baking soda in it. Her mother had been hemiplegic for 6 months following a stroke, but 15 minutes after drinking the bicarbonate, the paralysis lifted, and she remained normal. Later, a man who had stroke-like symptoms when he drank alcohol late at night, found that drinking a glass of carbonated water caused the symptoms to stop within a few minutes.
The first thing I thought of as well @HDD

OP
T

Torito

Great stuff. He's been on blood pressure pills for years so lack of sodium and carbon dioxide probably played a part in his stroke. Along with the bad stomach he has had for years I feel serotonin from endotoxin will be involved. The day he had the stroke he had dreadful diarrhoea.

He has survived but is recovering in hospital and has lost the use of his left side. He is on daily aspirin but has been told he cannot stay on this due to side effects

I had this exact same situation but unfortunately he gave up after some weeks when he realized he couldn't use the left side anymore. However jello, thickened ice-cream and thickened coke were the most beneficial things in my opinion.

OP
T

Torito

I had this exact same situation but unfortunately he gave up after some weeks when he realized he couldn't use the left side anymore. However jello, thickened ice-cream and thickened coke were the most beneficial things in my opinion.

He's in very strong spirits at the moment and has told me he will walk again. I try and play on this as I believe and have experienced the effect of positive attitude on nerve damage recovery, I see stroke as no different.

He's in very strong spirits at the moment and has told me he will walk again. I try and play on this as I believe and have experienced the effect of positive attitude on nerve damage recovery, I see stroke as no different.

In that case you are much better off :ss

B

Braveheart

Had stroke 3 years ago and lost use of my right side. Immediate physical therapy and acupuncture would have brought me back to normal, I am sure of it...research it. Neither was available to me here in Belize and I lost my chance at full recovery.

burtlancast

@HDD I just remembered roughly how it was worded and pulled the quote from Stress and Water – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

I think the original source is the carbon dioxide video, which I don't think has been transcribed so I think someone must have just taken this one quote from it and its been passed around.

Well, you're all in luck, as this conference has been in the batch transcribing projects for some time already. I've just finished the section where Ray mentions it. Here it is:

RP: About 30 years ago, i was thinking about this carbon dioxide thing, and i had mentioned how it regulates brain circulation to one of my nutrition classes. And i had said “soda” (meaning soda pop, as a carbon dioxide source). And next week, a girl said that she had given her paralyzed mother, who was hemiplegic from a stroke (6 months she had been half-paralyzed) a spoonful of baking soda in a glass of water; and in 15 minutes, the paralysis lifted. So, then i started trying it every time i heard of someone who had a stroke. Recently, in Mexico, a guy had a [inaudible] wobbling, was bad for 3 weeks, after a stroke. And a guy gave him a spoonful of baking soda in a glass of water; within a few minutes, he could move his hand. And the next day, he could walk across the room with...[but] not very well. And dementia; i think i’ve told you before about the woman who had had epilepsy for 20 years. And her neurologist had documented her IQ decline (that was all they did on his annual check-ups) and said she was not to go out of the house by herself (she was so demented, she couldn’t find her way home). And she took progesterone; and 3 or 4 days later, she came back all by herself. And when she was recovered, and able to do everything on her own, she went to graduate school, got a masters degree – straight A’s – and...(chuckles)

Q: And her doctor ? (chuckles)

RP: Her doctor fired her (laughter). I’ve tried to get her to go back and talk to him; but in general, these people who have these sudden, total recoveries, embarrass their doctors i think. The doctor just doesn’t want to...Like a guy with Lou Gehrig disease (ALS) had a doctor that said he would work with him, but that involved just watching him, rather than actually participating and prescribing. But anyway, this guy was declining along with the other patients in the waiting room, that he saw every week. And when he started using niacin, progesterone, infra-red light on his head for a couple of hours every day, after a few months of declining, [he] started improving. And i think it was 6 or 8 months after he started. He sent his toilet equipment, wheelchair, and all these things back to the store (laughter) and showed off that he could do light lifts, went back to work at his company and had no more Lou Gehrig disease (awe in the audience). And sugar is another thing. Sugar stops the excitotoxic process; it works with niacin to stop the lipolysis that produces the fatty acids that activate the excitotoxic process. And so, sugar and salt, and baking soda, and breathing in a paper bag, and getting a lot of light, and taking thyroid and progesterone...The only thing wrong with it is that some of the people recover so fast that no one believes it (chuckles). [They say]“It couldn't have been terminal...”.

So, Ray recommends niacin, progesterone, red light for neurological problems.

Another thing for stroke recovery is drinking DMSO in OJ at regular intervals the soonest possible.
Here's a true case told by Stanley Jacobs, the discoverer of DMSO:

If given soon after a stroke, DMSO has been shown to dissolve the stroke-causing clot, restore circulation and prevent paralysis. It is best to start DMSO therapy within a few hours. In one reported case a male with a stroke refused to go to hospital and waited for 11 hours until his wife had talked to Dr Jacob. Then she gave him one ounce of 50% DMSO in orange juice every 15 minutes for two hours and afterwards every half hour for two hours. The next day, he was better and soon returned to normal.

In another case a 16-year-old girl broke her neck while diving into a pool. and became a complete quadriplegic. She was on DMSO for an entire year and gradually her organs began to function again until finally she could also walk. Another quadriplegic did not start DMSO therapy until two years after his accident. Six months later he could lift both arms over his head, and sensation began to return to his lower chest and right hip. Later he also learned to move both of his legs. Dr Jacob helped two other quadriplegics recover completely when DMSO was started within one hour after the accident.

Incidently, i've googled "DMSO and stroke" and found this:
Ischemic stroke in elderly patients treated with a free radical scavenger-glycolytic intermediate solution: a preliminary pilot trial. - PubMed - NCBI

bodacious

This book is amazing: The Brain That Changes Itself

The general subject is neuroplasticity, but it's packed with stories about different people, many of them "Peatesque" in their counter-dogmatic views, who are helping people recover from all sorts of traumatic episodes.

According to the book, the prognosis for recovery can be quite positive if it's approached with the right mindset.

I've linked to the Audiobook. Maybe if your grandfather hears how other people have managed to recover, he'll be inspired to make a better recovery himself.

Good luck!

ampersand

Hi everyone, I'm in a similar situation with my mother, she had an ischemic stroke and is currently in hospital. She has an unrelated brain aneurysm, so can't be on heavy duty blood thinners. There has been significant damage to the left side of the brain, with some resultant paralysis on the right side. She also has atrial fibrillation.

I'm limited in what I can give her while she's still in hospital, but I'm currently rubbing progest-e on her skin, as well as progestene (I'm trying to get as much progesterone into her as possible). I've given her tiny amounts of pansterone and stressnon topically, as well as magnesium oil, tiny amounts of energin (I'd give her much more except I don't want the nurses asking about the yellow skin). I also mixed some estroban in with my progest-e/olive oil massage mixture.

I recently ordered 5a-DHP, Cyproheptadine and Lisuride. Any advice? I'm a little nervous about potential adverse drug interactions or dmso making drugs more potent. She's only on a single antibiotic, a beta blocker, very low doses of fentanyl for pain, and heparin shots to prevent blood clotting. Thank you all for any advice or ideas you may have.

ampersand

Sorry, forgot to mention that obviously some of the substances that I mentioned were purchased for use on my rats, not on my mom. I just brought them up to indicate that I am familiar with the research.

burtlancast

"
PQQ protects brain cells against oxidative damage following ischemia-reperfusion injury—the inflammation and oxidative damage that result from the sudden return of blood and nutrients to tissues deprived of them by stroke.[17] Reactive nitrogen species (RNS) arise spontaneously following stroke and spinal cord injuries and impose severe stresses on damaged neurons, contributing to subsequent long-term neurological damage.[18] PQQ suppresses RNS in experimentally induced strokes,[19] and provides additional protection following spinal cord injury by blocking inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), a major source of RNS.[20]

In animal models, administration of PQQ immediately prior to induction of stroke significantly reduces the size of the damaged brain area.[21] These observations have been compounded by the observation in vivo that PQQ protects against the likelihood of severe stroke in an experimental animal model for stroke and brain hypoxia.[17]"

Pyrroloquinoline quinone - Wikipedia