Someone Please Help Me With My Life Long Appeptite Problem

GorillaHead

For as long as I can remember I have always been a skinny guy. But honestly it’s sickly skinny

I am 5,10 and 139 pounds. I used 125 at that height. On average I consume 1600 calories a day and I find myself fine.

I am like never hungry.

The only time I have ever been able to achieve a much higher weight was when I force fed myself and I hated it.

When I did a cycle my hunger ramped up and it was amazing. I tried mk677 and the hunger never lasted. I tried ghrp6 also the hunger never lasted. I feel like everyone around me is normally hungry and I am eating 1500 calories a day. Wtf. What hormones are off? Insulin? Serotonin?

Anyone with experiences or solid advice please ! Thank you

A. squamosa

Sometimes appetite starts in the mind! is there anything you love to eat? encourage appetite by looking at the sorts of recipes that include food you like, and cooking those things yourself, so that you have to smell it, build up anticipation etc.
Starches with plenty of butter or coconut oil might help, so can full-fat dairy. Also getting plenty of sunshine could help.

olive

Just eat. I don’t have a large appetite either. I forced myself to consume 4000 cals a day for two years after habitually under eating all my life. I put on 30kg - about half muscle. It gets a little easier over time but honestly I still find myself having to force down calories here and there. But it’s no big deal. Don’t make it one. Just eat.

Otterbutt

as much as I’d like to believe the body regulates itself (cravings, appetite levels, etc) I think situations of undernourishment really can mess things up, and 1600 calories doesn’t sound like enough for a robust male.
Lack of zinc can create lack of appetite, perpetuating the cycle of undereating (sometimes seen in those with anorexia). If your diet is low in calories, I’d try to aim for nutrient density any time you have appetite and supplement on top of that with easily digestible and palatable treats to get extra calories in if you feel you need them.

Personally, I am high strung and don’t feel my appetite until I relax - in the evenings, after a hot shower/bath, after meditation, or after massage. I always get ravenous when something winds me down. So check in with your emotions too.

Luckytype

Definitely need to consider grazing all day and perhaps just eating through no appetite. 1600 isnt enough to sustain or feel decent at your size.

Cirion

+1 on cortisol decrease. I have the opposite problem these days. I can eat and eat and eat... 4x the calories you do lol (6000 on some days)

sleeping more, relying less on caffeine, de-stressing yourself.... and eating metabolically stimulating foods like fruit, saturated fats...

Endotoxin can reduce hunger:
"Activation of the innate immune system with endotoxin leads to a constellation of behaviors similar to depression in humans: anhedonia, decreases in novelty-induced and social behaviors, reduced food intake, and sleep disturbance (Larson et al. 2001)"
A critical review of human endotoxin administration as an experimental paradigm of depression

I noticed an immediate increase in hunger after I had experimented with minocycline (at a fairly low dose too -- 50mg).

Cyproheptadine is also typically used to help people gain weight.

It can also just be a habituation to a certain calorie intake. I was pretty low calorie for most of my life, then once I forced myself to start eating at least 3000 calories everyday, my hunger was greatly increased, and then eventually normalized around 3000 on average.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

Endotoxin can reduce hunger:
"Activation of the innate immune system with endotoxin leads to a constellation of behaviors similar to depression in humans: anhedonia, decreases in novelty-induced and social behaviors, reduced food intake, and sleep disturbance (Larson et al. 2001)"
A critical review of human endotoxin administration as an experimental paradigm of depression

I noticed an immediate increase in hunger after I had experimented with minocycline (at a fairly low dose too -- 50mg).

Cyproheptadine is also typically used to help people gain weight.

It can also just be a habituation to a certain calorie intake. I was pretty low calorie for most of my life, then once I forced myself to start eating at least 3000 calories everyday, my hunger was greatly increased, and then eventually normalized around 3000 on average.
Thank you!

And thank you all for the input. I will explore each route.

Cypriot I hear works but the moment u get off the hunger obviously goes away

Nick W.

Hi GorillaHead, here's my experience with the same issue.

A physical therapist helped me see how much I unconsciously put pressure on and physically hold in my belly, to silence it and keep from feeling hungry. The most common ways were:
-Resting my arms across the stomach, to put pressure on it.
-SLEEPING ON MY STOMACH (insofar as I did this for comfort, it was to breathe less, and avoid hunger)
-Shallow breathing pattern. Again, to keep still and avoid stirring hunger.
-Holding my ribcage in a way that as I slouched, my lower ribs would press down and slightly into my belly.

For me, it boiled down to the posture and breath. Deeper default breathing will stir hunger, I 100% assure you. A couple books I work from help me increase the lung capacity: Kit Laughlin's has some stretches for the spine, pectorals, and intracostals, (no's 1, 4, and 14 are great). An old book, Yoga Self-Taught by Lysebeth has you tighten a belt around the lowest ribs (after exhaling) while lying on the back w/ knees raised, and breathing gently and fully into the belly for a while. The best bang for your buck might be Lowen's "The Way to Vibrant Health", which defies easy description, but in short is all about increasing capacity for breathing, while also getting you grounded. Of the 3, this one is the most comprehensive.

In one of my therapy sessions, I noticed myself getting hungry, despite that I had another 45 minutes to endure before I could eat. I kept winding up in that exact situation, week after week. A voice in my head said "What's so dangerous about being hungry?" which is how I realized it had a lot to do w/ psychology, and not just physiology.

T

TheBeard

Lugol’s iodine application on forearms increases my appetite

Jing

I've had appetite problems all my life still do, so I use mk677 which gives me a good appetite gained lots of weight since using mk677 ran out of it the other day and appetite is back to be terrible can hardly eat just feel sick and stomach doesn't feel good, I'm waiting on my mk677 to arrive so I can get back to eating. Cyproheptadine also gave me an appetite but caused sexual problems and to much tiredness.

Motif

Just eat. I don’t have a large appetite either. I forced myself to consume 4000 cals a day for two years after habitually under eating all my life. I put on 30kg - about half muscle. It gets a little easier over time but honestly I still find myself having to force down calories here and there. But it’s no big deal. Don’t make it one. Just eat.

I would be interested in what you are eating to get 4000 calories daily

lampofred

Sleeping less and a daily raw carrot (I really underestimated how effective this is at lowering cortisol, estrogen, serotonin) have increased my appetite in a stable, non-ravenous way.

Max23

Bile stimulates appetite. I would try to stimulate bile with bitter things. Like consuming wormwood, ginger drinks, dandelion root extract before meals or others. I have cravings for bitter things, but don´t need to stimulate appetite. Coffee enemas have been the most powerful appetite stimulators and have made food taste amazing. Sports also increases appetite. Matt Stone´s diet, high calories also stimulated my appetite. Things that speed metabolism also would help. Vitamin C and thyroid have worked for me also.

redsun

For as long as I can remember I have always been a skinny guy. But honestly it’s sickly skinny

I am 5,10 and 139 pounds. I used 125 at that height. On average I consume 1600 calories a day and I find myself fine.

I am like never hungry.

The only time I have ever been able to achieve a much higher weight was when I force fed myself and I hated it.

When I did a cycle my hunger ramped up and it was amazing. I tried mk677 and the hunger never lasted. I tried ghrp6 also the hunger never lasted. I feel like everyone around me is normally hungry and I am eating 1500 calories a day. Wtf. What hormones are off? Insulin? Serotonin?

Anyone with experiences or solid advice please ! Thank you

I dont even know if the OP is still lurking around for answers to this appetite problem. Iron, zinc, B-vitamins, and just plain good tasting food. If you want to gain weight you need to do heavy strength training. If you arent doing strength training while trying to gain weight you will end up fat. Animal foods like milk, eggs, and beef are great for gaining weight(the right kind of weight).

There was a time I supplemented with iron glycinate pills just to see what would happen, iron immediately upped my appetite, relieved anhedonia, made me feel alive, increased vitality and zest, which is funny because blood is considered the essence of life, with iron being the primary component of blood. Zinc actually reduces my appetite but likely because im not deficient. If you are deficient it will improve appetite.

Jing

I dont even know if the OP is still lurking around for answers to this appetite problem. Iron, zinc, B-vitamins, and just plain good tasting food. If you want to gain weight you need to do heavy strength training. If you arent doing strength training while trying to gain weight you will end up fat. Animal foods like milk, eggs, and beef are great for gaining weight(the right kind of weight).

There was a time I supplemented with iron glycinate pills just to see what would happen, iron immediately upped my appetite, relieved anhedonia, made me feel alive, increased vitality and zest, which is funny because blood is considered the essence of life, with iron being the primary component of blood. Zinc actually reduces my appetite but likely because im not deficient. If you are deficient it will improve appetite.
Op sounds like me with appetite problems, vitamins never do anything for me and strength training can actually make it worse .. some people have terrible appetites where the normal stuff that is advised just don't work, even force feeding doesn't eventually increase appetite, it's just constant agony to eat loads never gets better. In a normal person force feeding should eventually make your appetite bigger for me and it sounds like it for op it just doesn't work.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

Thank you all for your replies! I recently had gynecomastia surgery one more week before I can be active in the gym and 2 weeks before heavy lifting. I will take all this and let you guys know what works. Iron may be a good option I am currently 140 pounds at 5,10. I want to be 170.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

Op sounds like me with appetite problems, vitamins never do anything for me and strength training can actually make it worse .. some people have terrible appetites where the normal stuff that is advised just don't work, even force feeding doesn't eventually increase appetite, it's just constant agony to eat loads never gets better. In a normal person force feeding should eventually make your appetite bigger for me and it sounds like it for op it just doesn't work.
Ya forcefeeding didn’t work for me. It was just suffering. Food became just necessary rather than enjoyable. I would get heartburn going to bed form all the food backed up in my stomach