Slight Sunburn Even Behind Glass

somuch4food

At the office, my desk basks in the morning sun. I keep the blind open to get the red light goodness on my skin. Yesterday, I observed that my skin had reddened a bit. I'm a type-2 complexion BTW.

Does this mean that my body produced vitamin D?

The glass seems to intensify the sun power. It feels a lot warmer in the office than when I am outside.

fradon

At the office, my desk basks in the morning sun. I keep the blind open to get the red light goodness on my skin. Yesterday, I observed that my skin had reddened a bit. I'm a type-2 complexion BTW.

Does this mean that my body produced vitamin D?

The glass seems to intensify the sun power. It feels a lot warmer in the office than when I am outside.

yes it mean you might have made vitamin D and it pulled calcium out of your soft tissue leading to inflammation or red skin. vitamin pulls calcium into the blood from where ever it can get it.

vitamin F puts the calcium back into the soft tissue here is a better explanation on vitmain F

jitsmonkey

yes it mean you might have made vitamin D and it pulled calcium out of your soft tissue leading to inflammation or red skin. vitamin pulls calcium into the blood from where ever it can get it.

vitamin F puts the calcium back into the soft tissue here is a better explanation on vitmain F

Lol I get it.
Vitamin F = Funny
good one.

Amazoniac

I have some doubts about safetyness.

Clear ordinary glass filters UVb but not so much UVa, especially the longer UVa1 that knocks on violet's doors, it trespasses the outer layers of skin to deeper levels and is damaging. It's also possible that your window glass absorbs some of the wavelengths that are responsible for warmth (including infrared), therefore you can spend more time without noticing anything and getting the damaging radiation that later appears as irritation of your skin. Michael Holick even suggests people to sunbathe when UVb radiation peaks to minimize the time needed exposing yourself to UV in general.

All this makes us wonder if Raj is sponsored by the silica industry.

I suspect people in cold climates have more difficulty in judging how long is enough to expose themselves judging by discomfort, so they tend to spend more time without realizing how it's affecting them.

But if I'm not wrong, some glasses have a plastic film in between that are capable of deterring UVa. I guess you can buy these online and apply on your widow.
I should disclose that I'm actually getting paid by 3M to say this.

Last edited: