SIBO And Intestinal Infection

Philippe

Hello guys,

Anyone here that could help me out on recent stool analysis findings :

- no flukes, roundworms, tapeworms or protozoa found
- candida (lvl 2 out of 4) was present. Candida was dividing (active)
- mucus was present
- mid levels of SIBO (breath tested)
- normal Bacilli flora was acceptable (not optimal though)
- swab culture revealed bacterial agents : +e.coli and +enterobacter.sp

Antibiotics resistance was tested on these pathogens and reported pathogens are sensitive to (1 very sensitive, 4 slightly sensitive only)
Amikacin: 1 Cefotaxime: 2 Cefepime: 3 Cephalothin: 4
Ceftriaxone: 1 Chloramphenicol: 2 Levofloxacin: 3 Nitrofurantoin: 4
Cipro: 1 Gentamicin: 2
Trimeoprim-Sulfamethoxazole: 4
Fosfocil: 1 Netilmicin: 2

Reported pathogens are resistant to Ampicillin, Tetracycline

backgroung:
- intestines started to break down after acute gastro enteritis in 2009 and cat bite in 2010 (also had a root canal following dental infection and antibiotics in 2005)
- symptoms included only loose stools at the beginning and then transformed to right upper quadrant pain (like air was stuck around the area and below the sternum, though mostly on the right upper side i.i liver pinch/duodenum blockage) ; turned into yellowish matter with spongy/filament texture and undigested food pointing to a gallbladder or liver issue (abnormal microbial structure and fungus overgrowth). Heartburn also developed at the time. Diet was quite bad around that time.
- lab tests showed no parasites in stool, no abnormalities during ultrasound of the liver region.
- symptoms currently include after 6 months peating following 5 years low carbish paleo/PHD): RUQ pain, gas and bloating, sometimes spongy/oily stools).

>> tried many diets (PHD, Paleo FODMAP etc) and supplements to fix it including low carb, clean eating, paleo etc. and all possible antimicrobials (lauricidin, uva ursi, oregano, peppermint etc) and biofilm disruptors as well as probiotics (bacillus subtilis and other HSO).

Managed to suppress heartburn, brain fog and diminish IBS-D stools after multiple rounds of antimicrobials and a better hygiene in diet and exercise but gas and bloating are still there with candida (dividing) and a mid level SIBO (lab tested).

Even though symptoms improved, I managed to crash my thyroid and metabolism through low carb and calorie restriction. I have since adopted Peat principles after studying them since the last six months and feel much better (almost 98.6 temp, no more cold hands, healthy weight gain and better libido and sleep). However, my stomach symptoms are still there despite trying Flower of Sulphur, low dose antibiotics (tetracyclines which were apparently useless against the bacterial pathogens I have) and carrot salad on a daily basis. I am now in the process of trying Phages.

The only things I cannot explain are:
- Stomach discomforts below the right rib cage (maybe caused by fungus, bacteria and blocked gas etc) with sometimes gas felt in the right upper back, which makes me think the ascending right colon might be the problem.
- left neck strangulation feeling (thyroid related ?). It seems to be intermittent (comes and goes) and provoked by certain food (dairy) or stress.
- sometimes after eating, my heart pounds (not tachycardia, just my heart pumping harder) and I feel like lacking air/oxygen and a need to sleep right away (like a metabolic crash)

body structure and lab results:
- 172cm, 65kg, 35y/o, rarely sick (used to be sick all the time in childhood through anginas and sore throats, and was on many rounds of antibiotics like augmentin and amoxycyline)
- good metabolism in general (burn calories fast), low body fat and tight muscular mass (i do no cardio only concentric style occasionally)
- no sexual dysfunction or libido loss (despite orchydopexy from young age) ; no fertility issue.
- no skin problems apart from light acne from time to time (on the back only)
- lab results normal though they showed: a. slightly elevated HDL/LDL cholesterol b. sub-clinical TSH (=2, was > 3 before starting Peaing) and lower normal end range FT4/FT3 ; Anti thyroglobulin antibodies were negative but thyroid peroxidase antibodies of 68 iu/ml were considered borderline c. slightly lowish BP 11/70 (was 10/6 before peating) d. platelets and all types WBC normal but on the lower side of labs normal range (though I am rarely sick apart from a cold/year) e. low lab Alkaline Phosphatase (implying potential Zinc deficiency) f. Elevated FSH (13.56 vs lab max 12.4 iu/L); other hormones were fine vs lab with testosterone rather on the low side (especially free Test), low oestradiol (which i believe is good) and SHBG and Prolactin rather high on the normal range side (prolactin reached upper lab limit). N.B: sex hormones were tested after a 3month period of fasting for 16h/day, so I wonder if that was the problem and should try testing them back as I now favour sugar for energy metabolism and have stopped the daily fasting. My libido is much better and back again.

Diet (currently, after high fat low carb clean from PUFA oils for 4 years but not from PUFA natural foods such as nuts)
- no PUFA oils ; butter/CO/cacao as main fats
- meat, fish, eggs, cottage cheese (no fillers) and splash of milk in coffee.
- GL gelatin (collagen powder)
- fruits, orange juice, honey, occasional milk, sugar
- coke/coffee/carbonated water
- cooked vegetables
- spelt bread (no yeast or pufa, though it contains gluten), rice, corn and potatoes
- limited alcohol, cigarettes 2-5/day
- supp: aspirin/bicarbonate/epsom salts baths (1x week), occasional IR light, occasional K2 (MK4 1-5 mg), D3 in winter and pregnenolone every other day (50mg 2-3/times per week) ; 4-6 drops of Tyromax NDT every other day

Its a chicken/egg problem as thyroid won't resolve without eradicating SIBO but SIBO won t go away with poor metabolic state...

Do you think I should continue with random antimicrobial/ anti fungal rounds ?
What would you would use to annihilate e.coli and enterobacter sp. ?

Do you think I would need probiotics to rebalance the gut afterwards or do you see them as overrated ?

Peat seems to think Phages are a good starting point for dysbiosis and I started Floraphage since 1 week with no positive reaction for now.

I am now trying to increase and help out my metabolism as it is held back by pathogens (and I now believe any food will irritate my gut so juices sugar and dairy are back) and hope one day I can get rid of these pathogens.

Thanks to all for the feedback!

Orion

Another one to try is fine activated charcoal, 1 to 4 TBsp (15grams to 50grams) every night before bed, with lots of juice. It can lower blood sugar. Research the forum on AC, works well to clean out the gut.

Next is coffee and caffeine to clean out the liver and get it functioning at optimal levels:
Caffeine Reverses Stress, Insulin Resistance, Hypertension

Keep PUFA very low:
PUFA Depletion Can (probably) Be Accomplished In 30 Days!

Also Periactin (cyprohepdatine), sold over the counter at most pharmacies. Thought to be sfte 1st generation anti-histamine, works well to reduce serotonin and heal gut issues. Start low, .5 to 1mg, can really sedate you the first couple days.

OP
P

Philippe

Thanks Orion.
Coffee i no do 2 to 3 shots per day and tolerate them quite well. Doesn t bother my sleep at all. PUFA already in check.
Charcoal I have tried 1 to 2 TBS occasionally but (coconut charcoal activated powder) but it does not seem to do anything. Maybe I should try it more often but I was afraid of nutrients and minerals absorption by taking it too frequently.
I was wandering about Cypro but I m not sure I can get my hands on it in the UK without prescription...maybe I could try in France.

EIRE24

Yes, this is the first time I have seen someone share the strangulation feeling, I also wonder if this is thyroid related as I get it if I under eat on calories or am too stressed on certain days. It is extremely strange.

You say you have recovered from a crashed thyroid. How did you do so to gain the temperatures back that you now have? Did you gain lots of weight in the process and also did you take any thyroid supplements?

Thanks

The_xXx

I would try eat low fat....only eggs as fat source on daily basis and sometimes you can add cacao or dark chocolate for the copper. It helped my liver with recovering quite well . Also I would try to detox your body which means try to minimize the intake of toxin of all kinds and try to increase all liver supporting foods supplements or what ever .

OP
P

Philippe

Well i fell to the dumb trap of intermittent fasting and mild carving at night. I believed thats whats crashed my metabolism and libido.
Before this infection 8 years ago my thyroid and metabolism was good. I believed it was altered by SIBO and overgrowth of those enterobacter and e.coli species but only to some extent. The rest of damage, I didi it myself as low carb and FODMAP does not wok (symptoms are better but it down t solve anything longer term and just crashes you up by avoiding calories and food).

I gained by temp back to 36.8C (was 36.3-36.5), my libido and metabolism (sweating, feeling energetic) by supplementing pregnenolone 50mg 2/3 times/week (now only occasionally), Tyromax topically (4-6 drops), eating more and paying attention to calcium/phosphate (more dairy, less meat) and reintroducing OJ and coffee. Also supplemented magnesium oil and baths, adequate sunlight and red light in winter. Niacinamide 100mg occasionally and aspirin every now and then (it irritates my gut even with baking soda). I did not put on weight, I would say I had lost too much weight on IF and gained it back when peaking. now its steady and not moving I can even eat whatever I want (beside gut irritation due to fermentation) and not put weight as I burn it fast.

OP
P

Philippe

@The_xXx thanks for the input. Yes i reduced my fats to egg yolks, coconut oil for cooking, butter on toasts, chocolate and meat fat from whatever I eat. i don't do avocados or put oils in everything anymore but I reduced them naturally through upping the sugar on this diet.

@BenjaminBullock thanks

OP
P

Philippe

any suggestion on getting rid of e.coli and enterobacter sp. with specific antibacterials ? I m back on Lauricidin, oil of oregano and introduced phages right now. Will see what happens in 2-4 weeks time.

Orion

any suggestion on getting rid of e.coli and enterobacter sp. with specific antibacterials ? I m back on Lauricidin, oil of oregano and introduced phages right now. Will see what happens in 2-4 weeks time.

Spirits of Turpentine, search forum, some info and anecdotal posts. 1tsp few times a week to start.

OP
P

Philippe

No definitely not. I think I got the gut infection through a cat bite or a root canal 8 years ago. i have been doing better avoiding PUFA and paying attention to diet, reduce alcohol etc...but i m still bloated and have digestion symptoms.
I just said that IF and low/mild carb reduced my gut symptoms but diminished my immune system, energy metabolism and sexual hormones.

Not saying IF is bad if you are in good health, Just not believe anymore in it for people like me.

Queequeg

herbal treatment for SIBO Herbal Antibiotics
has been shown in a double blind to be just as effective as the $1,000 antibiotic they currently use

The_xXx

its because you get too much toxins released if you fast toxins comes out from stored fat . If you your liver is strong enough you can defuse the harmful effects of toxins easily. But if you chronically release toxin in long period of time you will suffer really hard and open the gate for all kinds of infections by bacteria, funfus. viruses etc. Believe me ive experienced this shi.t. My temperature dropped really my level of androgen dropped really hard. I was or im actually my whole life hyperthyroid. I cant put easy on weight espiacilly my upper body impossible to put weight on and if im put weight, after a good sleep over night fat is away. Had highiest libido ever, body temperature too high for this world , i was really aggresive ,nice focus everything i felt like im king of this world. But then i started to drink coffe. I felt much mooore better damn it was so cruel i had really ****** libido i cant even learn or study because i must think whole time who i will fuc.k next. But the problem which i had for ever was that i had stored a huge amout of fat around my as.s. My legs were ripped not like my ****. as you would think you could see easy the muscle group. Only my ****** **** were has huge amout of fat. I think because i had/have really high metabolism my body just saves the fat in this area, because he puts there the toxins, in order not to harm my body. But after i started to drink coffe i really lost this ****** as.s fat really fast for first time of life felt like im superman. But then after a peroid of time i felt weird after drinking coffe i got brain fogg and other ***t. It felt like sth. went into my brain and ****88 it up and i believe its 100 % toxins stored in my as.s fat for whole life. After a while i started to get problems my right kidney felt clogged i dont have libido my temperature and my appetite went down even my right ball started to itch and hurt me. All signs of hypothyroid like you would suggest, but its not i still have high thyroid even higher but i dont get the effects from it like before i lost my as.s fat. I dont have high temperature but still really high focus aggressiveness still there but not like before. But after i started to eat regularly eggs and coffe and keep pufas really down and support liver i think i can eliminate all toxins and feel like superman again. I maybe need to increase salt. My whole life i avoided salt and i still was hyperthyroid. But i think due the bacterias and all ***t which comes now due the toxins i need to increase salt. I also noticed some increase of temperature after i ate salt. I think its not because it increased metabolism what raypeat haidcut and all other suggest i think in my case its like naturall antibiotics against bacteries. Also if i eat things high in sulfur like raw garlic onion, horseradish i really feel sth. in my head starts to change think they help eliminate the ****** toxins and the bacterias will go away from head. Some times i have pressure in my head i red in article its due the waste products of those ****** bacterias in my head or fungus. I also red somewhere that those fungus canddida what ever they re called help to eliminate those toxin like Heavy metals. But the bad side of this is they make waste products which inhib my brain to produce hormones or keep body temperature high.

I hope i could help you with my experience because now, i really know how it feels if you dont have high libido. Not funny at all .

B

Braveheart

4 days on 3 off....leukemia in remission and absolutely no gut problems....will take forever as preventative for all its benefits inc cancer.