Should One Avoid Foods That ‘apparently’ Lower DHT?

Steve123

Hey guys.. whats the deal with the foods that apparently lower dht, i'm talking about watermlon in particular, I've heard it can lower dht.. (Other foods like mangoes, Carrots, Papaya etc can do to APPARENTLY..), (If you search 'watermelon dht' you'll see the reasons apparently..

My question is how often should one eat Watermelon then? Would it have an effect on dht eating 1,2 maybe 3 a week? Is there a limit to avoid the lowering effect of DHT? Would it lower dht permanently?

Is the data on it sufficient? I hadn’t really looked into it a great deal ..

SOMO

Zinc supposedly lowers DHT, which would mean red meat is anti-anabolic, which kind of goes against common sense and many people's experience of red meat (that it is a highly anabolic food.)

It is impossible to lower DHT permanently because new DHT is made.
There are cancer drugs which block estrogen like Arimidex and these are considered "irreversible" estrogen inhibitors, which is to say that they inhibit estrogen UNTIL new estrogen is made. There are "irreversible" DHT inhibitors, but none of them are natural. In either case, there is no way to permanently shut off DHT.

Eat your watermelon and enjoy it. Even if you ate a whole watermelon, I doubt it would negatively affect your hormones.

benaoao

Arimidex is by no means an irreversible AI. It’s a 2” research my friend :)

Exemestane would qualify, as a suicidal AI. Although like you correctly said there’s no such thing as a permanent shut off.

Wagner83

You need to eat food and look at the bigger picture, digestion, nutrients, macro-nutrients. Ray said that the effects of the whole food should be considered (rather than particular compound identified and tested in high-concentration in vitro), he also said when the diet is consistent the organism adapts.

SOMO

Arimidex is by no means an irreversible AI. It’s a 2” research my friend :)

Exemestane would qualify, as a suicidal AI. Although like you correctly said there’s no such thing as a permanent shut off.

*Meant Aromasin not Arimidex

OP
S

Steve123

Zinc supposedly lowers DHT, which would mean red meat is anti-anabolic, which kind of goes against common sense and many people's experience of red meat (that it is a highly anabolic food.)

There are cancer drugs which block estrogen like Arimidex and these are considered "irreversible" estrogen inhibitors, which is to say that they inhibit estrogen UNTIL new estrogen is made. There are "irreversible" DHT inhibitors, but none of them are natural. In either case, there is no way to permanently shut off DHT.

Eat your watermelon and enjoy it. Even if you ate a whole watermelon, I doubt it would negatively affect your hormones.

Oh very interesting.. Oh thats great, thanks a lot Somo, i've actually eat tons of it in a day at times..

Travis

@Travis @haidut Do you have an opinion on this guys?

I haven't looking into watermelon specifically, but I cannot think of anything inside that would lower DHT. After all, the watermelon is mostly water—and monosaccharides. It does appear to have higher-than-normal levels of citrulline, but I can't see that having much effect on anything besides urea.

I wouldn't worry about it, and focus instead on the copper∶zinc ratio. There are some good articles on how the copper∶zinc ratio influences steroids.

OP
S

Steve123

I haven't looking into watermelon specifically, but I cannot think of anything inside that would lower DHT. After all, the watermelon is mostly water—and monosaccharides. It does appear to have higher-than-normal levels of citrulline, but I can't see that having much effect on anything besides urea.

I wouldn't worry about it, and focus instead on the copper∶zinc ratio. There are some good articles on how the copper∶zinc ratio influences steroids.

I think the mention was the lycopene that causes the lowered DHT, carrots mangoes etc apparently have the same effect due to the Lycopene? Still no problem?

Ok thanks Travis, i’ll Look into the copper zinc ratio thing!

Aymen

I think the mention was the lycopene that causes the lowered DHT, carrots mangoes etc apparently have the same effect due to the Lycopene? Still no problem?

Ok thanks Travis, i’ll Look into the copper zinc ratio thing!
yes lycopene is found in tomatoes , carrots , peppers , watermelon .
concentrated tomatoes have much higher lycopene than regular ones and cooking increase lycopene .
with that being said i didn't stop eating those foods but i limited them and about DHT the best thing is to stay away from potents 5-alpha inhibitors (rice bran , PUFA, etc)

Josh

yes lycopene is found in tomatoes , carrots , peppers , watermelon .
concentrated tomatoes have much higher lycopene than regular ones and cooking increase lycopene .
with that being said i didn't stop eating those foods but i limited them and about DHT the best thing is to stay away from potents 5-alpha inhibitors (rice bran , PUFA, etc)
White rice is okay though right?

Aymen

zinc lowers DHT only in high doses !

benaoao

If it lowers dht through a healthier metabolism into 3B-Diol I don’t see any problem with it

Coincidentally that’s what zinc does: modulate the enzymes that transform DHT into its sub metabolites

So if a food lowers dht and that’s not some weird alien/industrial grown food, it’s probably a very good thing

haidut

Forum Supporter
@Travis @haidut Do you have an opinion on this guys?

The only foods that I find are highly anti-androgenic are legumes (especially soy), PUFA, and starch. Alcohol too, but I would not consider it food. Coincidentally, those are the ones that I consciously try to avoid. Watermelon, melon, and other sweet fruit is probably OK.

MatheusPN

Basically I negatively rate foods like this (I love 5ar reduced steroids):

PUFA> MUFA> Almost all teas or herbs, licorice, mint> DIM> Turmeric> Fish (principally because of contaminants)> Alcohol> Estrogenic foods (yeast> milk> soy> etc)> Legumes (except lentils)> Starch> Lycopene> Meat muscle

Only parsley, celery, pine pollen seems good as herbs and others more unowned

It would be interesting if Travis had a strong affinity for increasing androgens

Ron J

If it lowers dht through a healthier metabolism into 3B-Diol I don’t see any problem with it

Coincidentally that’s what zinc does: modulate the enzymes that transform DHT into its sub metabolites

So if a food lowers dht and that’s not some weird alien/industrial grown food, it’s probably a very good thing
Would you expand on that? What are the benefits of those sub metabolites?

Cameron

Is it worth eating carrots if they lower dht its hard to see how effective in studies things like Melon carrots coconut oil lavender lower dht and by how much i eat meat dairy eggs white rice potatoes and coke and coffee Witch are very pro dht recently stopped wheat as it seemed to lower libido a bit but would love to add carrot for digestion

LukasWood

I am not sure about carrots lower DHT because a orange carrot has like 1mcg lycopene while watermelon or tomatoes have a few 100mcg.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals