Should Natural Aromatase-inhibitors That Reduce 5α-Reductase Be Avoided?

Repas du soir

Hey gang, this is my first post on this forum.

I only found out about aromatase-inhibiting compounds a little while ago, and I've been scouring the internet for foods, herbs, and liquids that inhibit aromatase activity.

Then I read this article, and it made me worry that I might be shooting myself in the foot by consuming certain aromatase-inhibitors that also reduce 5α-reductase, for example quercetin from onions, or DIM from cruciferous vegetables.

Is inhibiting 5α-reductase in any way really, really bad?

I read in some other thread on the forum that capers contain 4x the amount of quercetin found in onions, but if I were to start eating capers, would my 5α-reductase activity drop like a rock?

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about 5α-reductase inhibition, though it seems to be more in relation to drugs:

"Gynecomastia, erectile dysfunction, impaired cognitive function, fatigue, hypoglycemia, impaired liver function, constipation, and depression, are only a few of the possible side-effects of 5α-reductase inhibition. Long term side effects, that continued even after discontinuation of the drug have been reported.[16]"

I'm not an expert, but 5α-reductase inhibition seems bad.

What do you guys think? Can I eat my capers with good conscience?

Lurker

I wouldn’t worry about normal quantity whole food sources. Eat some capers if you like them. Have you heard well cooked white button mushrooms and fat soluble vitamins (ADEK) are a potent AI? Search the forum for more details.

RisingSun

Hey gang, this is my first post on this forum.

I only found out about aromatase-inhibiting compounds a little while ago, and I've been scouring the internet for foods, herbs, and liquids that inhibit aromatase activity.

Then I read this article, and it made me worry that I might be shooting myself in the foot by consuming certain aromatase-inhibitors that also reduce 5α-reductase, for example quercetin from onions, or DIM from cruciferous vegetables.

Is inhibiting 5α-reductase in any way really, really bad?

I read in some other thread on the forum that capers contain 4x the amount of quercetin found in onions, but if I were to start eating capers, would my 5α-reductase activity drop like a rock?

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about 5α-reductase inhibition, though it seems to be more in relation to drugs:

"Gynecomastia, erectile dysfunction, impaired cognitive function, fatigue, hypoglycemia, impaired liver function, constipation, and depression, are only a few of the possible side-effects of 5α-reductase inhibition. Long term side effects, that continued even after discontinuation of the drug have been reported.[16]"

I'm not an expert, but 5α-reductase inhibition seems bad.

What do you guys think? Can I eat my capers with good conscience?

Why do you want to consume aromatase inhibiting foods in the first place? Is your estrogen high? Did you assess it by lab work?

E2 is just as important as DHT for males, you don't want to reduce either other than by adjusting your lifestyle choices if warranted by high levels