Scalp Progesterone For Hair Loss Experiment

meatbag

Is it also increasing sebum for you? Interesting that it's increasing acne for you but also thickening your hairline. I've been shedding on prog for a few days now. Nothing crazy but I'm certainly shedding. I'm trying not to worry about sheds though cause they can be a good thing. Both finasteride and minoxidil cause sheds before things get better. Been taking 24 mg of topical midday, and then another 24mg topical + utrogestan before bed around midnight. I feel great: better mood, dryer skin, calmer. The positive sexual side effects continue. Sheds aren't always a bad thing though so I'm not sure what to do at this point lol I know that when I take a lower dose of progesterone, I have androgenic symptoms. Oily skin, acne, short temper. My hair sheds bad too. Did TJ mention any symptoms similar to ours he was having from the utrogestan?

estrogen atrophies the sebaceous glands. There are posts on the forum about it and d.roddy has some references on his site if interested, i recall reading/hearing about it

xetawaves

estrogen atrophies the sebaceous glands. There are posts on the forum about it and d.roddy has some references on his site if interested, i recall reading/hearing about it

Doesn’t progesterone counter estrogen’s effects on the body though?

xetawaves

yeah, it could be making your glands function again which would be good for hair

My hair falls out like crazy when my face is oily. Last year there was a phase of 3-4 months where it was oily as hell and my hair thinned out so bad.

Luckytype

My hair falls out like crazy when my face is oily. Last year there was a phase of 3-4 months where it was oily as hell and my hair thinned out so bad.
But what was happening in those months?

What happened in your life 90 days before that?

xetawaves

But what was happening in those months?

What happened in your life 90 days before that?

I don’t remember honestly, nothing crazy. I just remember doing nofap for a month which made my face super oily and hair fall out. I also lost a bit of weight and I’m sure that contributed.

Even now though if my face is covered in sebum, my hair sheds. Really bad actually. There’s definitely a connection there.

meatbag

I know what you mean but I think its slightly more complicated than if pimples appear than " what I'm doing is going to cause hair loss".
There are many layers in the physiology, hypothetically the progesterone could've allowed the sebaceous glands to begin functioning again but not done enough to over come something else that would cause pimples when the sebaceous glands are functional such as a lack of vitamin a, thyroid or zinc or an excess of factors causing proliferation
--
"
Josh Rubin: One of the things we do notice with people and this is quite common is when we use the fruits and veggies, all goes well, people feeling great. When we start to filter in the sugar and using the sugar syrup, you know, cooking it down in small amounts over time, but noticing that some people do get acne. What are your thoughts on the acne? Is it because of insulin, is it because of androgens? Is it a liver detox issue? Is it maybe a vitamin A deficiency?

Dr. Ray Peat: Yes, I think things that activate your skin cause it to produce more moisture and oil and make it more attractive for germs to grow, and vitamin A is essential for several defensive processes including immune system as all of your surfaces become susceptible to infection in the vitamin A deficiency but especially an increasingly warm moist functioning skin needs more vitamin A. The thyroid which uses vitamin A to make the steroids will make your skin moisture and oilier under most conditions, and so sugar activating your thyroid revs up your ability of your skin cells to produce what they should be producing except if you’re deficient in vitamin A or some other immune factor, then you're going to grow bacteria in your skin.

Josh Rubin: So it’s more of an immune system kind of inhibition that’s creating it?

Dr. Ray Peat: Yes.

Josh Rubin: And what would you recommend – would you recommend cutting out the sugar itself and using more of the fruits and vegetables until you kind of bring the system up a little bit more or – because I find with a lot of people this is quite common especially in women and I’m trying to figure out if it’s a detox liver issue, you know, adding in the vitamin A, it’s not really doing the trick or should we just cut out the actual sugar syrup, use the fruits and vegetables and then when we bring the body up to more of a homeostatic state, do we add in the sucrose?

Dr. Ray Peat: Well, eggs and shellfish and fruits and cheese and milk, all of these are very effective at improving your immune system.

Josh Rubin: Okay.

Dr. Ray Peat: And have you ever heard of Emanuel Cheraskin? He was a dentist who did nutrition research. In one of his surveys, he plotted the number of symptoms people chronically had against the amount of vitamin A in their diet or supplements and he found that from very low vitamin A intake all the way up to 100,000 units a day, the symptoms and complaints decreased very consistently as the vitamin A increased. And I think that's because of its role in making the anti-stress hormones and the immune factors.

Josh Rubin: Right.

Dr. Ray Peat: And if your thyroid is low, too much vitamin A will suppress your thyroid. They have to be exactly balanced. And so some people who take big doses of vitamin A get symptoms of vitamin A deficiency as well as thyroid deficiency and the higher your metabolic rate the more vitamin A you need and can use. Josh Rubin: So they are – sorry.

Dr. Ray Peat: Acne is a good indicator that you are doing something out of balance but it's hard to guess without blood tests.
-East West: Glycemia Starch And Sugar In Context

RAY PEAT: Thyroid and vitamin A are the basic things. But the skin and the intestine are very closely connected, so that you want to make sure you aren’t eating any foods that aren’t well-digested or that irritate your intestine because that can contribute to inflammatory and even problems with excretions of fats and sweat. And so, they can be influencedby irritation in the intestine.

One Radio Network - Patrick Timpone: Dr. Peat Answers Questions

xetawaves

I know what you mean but I think its slightly more complicated than if pimples appear than " what I'm doing is going to cause hair loss".
There are many layers in the physiology, hypothetically the progesterone could've allowed the sebaceous glands to begin functioning again but not done enough to over come something else that would cause pimples when the sebaceous glands are functional such as a lack of vitamin a, thyroid or zinc or an excess of factors causing proliferation
--
"
Josh Rubin: One of the things we do notice with people and this is quite common is when we use the fruits and veggies, all goes well, people feeling great. When we start to filter in the sugar and using the sugar syrup, you know, cooking it down in small amounts over time, but noticing that some people do get acne. What are your thoughts on the acne? Is it because of insulin, is it because of androgens? Is it a liver detox issue? Is it maybe a vitamin A deficiency?

Dr. Ray Peat: Yes, I think things that activate your skin cause it to produce more moisture and oil and make it more attractive for germs to grow, and vitamin A is essential for several defensive processes including immune system as all of your surfaces become susceptible to infection in the vitamin A deficiency but especially an increasingly warm moist functioning skin needs more vitamin A. The thyroid which uses vitamin A to make the steroids will make your skin moisture and oilier under most conditions, and so sugar activating your thyroid revs up your ability of your skin cells to produce what they should be producing except if you’re deficient in vitamin A or some other immune factor, then you're going to grow bacteria in your skin.

Josh Rubin: So it’s more of an immune system kind of inhibition that’s creating it?

Dr. Ray Peat: Yes.

Josh Rubin: And what would you recommend – would you recommend cutting out the sugar itself and using more of the fruits and vegetables until you kind of bring the system up a little bit more or – because I find with a lot of people this is quite common especially in women and I’m trying to figure out if it’s a detox liver issue, you know, adding in the vitamin A, it’s not really doing the trick or should we just cut out the actual sugar syrup, use the fruits and vegetables and then when we bring the body up to more of a homeostatic state, do we add in the sucrose?

Dr. Ray Peat: Well, eggs and shellfish and fruits and cheese and milk, all of these are very effective at improving your immune system.

Josh Rubin: Okay.

Dr. Ray Peat: And have you ever heard of Emanuel Cheraskin? He was a dentist who did nutrition research. In one of his surveys, he plotted the number of symptoms people chronically had against the amount of vitamin A in their diet or supplements and he found that from very low vitamin A intake all the way up to 100,000 units a day, the symptoms and complaints decreased very consistently as the vitamin A increased. And I think that's because of its role in making the anti-stress hormones and the immune factors.

Josh Rubin: Right.

Dr. Ray Peat: And if your thyroid is low, too much vitamin A will suppress your thyroid. They have to be exactly balanced. And so some people who take big doses of vitamin A get symptoms of vitamin A deficiency as well as thyroid deficiency and the higher your metabolic rate the more vitamin A you need and can use. Josh Rubin: So they are – sorry.

Dr. Ray Peat: Acne is a good indicator that you are doing something out of balance but it's hard to guess without blood tests.
-East West: Glycemia Starch And Sugar In Context

RAY PEAT: Thyroid and vitamin A are the basic things. But the skin and the intestine are very closely connected, so that you want to make sure you aren’t eating any foods that aren’t well-digested or that irritate your intestine because that can contribute to inflammatory and even problems with excretions of fats and sweat. And so, they can be influencedby irritation in the intestine.

One Radio Network - Patrick Timpone: Dr. Peat Answers Questions

Thank you for sharing that. Currently, I’m taking around 50mg of progesterone everyday and 10,000ius of vitamin A every other day. This is what seems to keep things balanced for me as it pretty much completely gets rid of my acne. I also make sure I get sunlight and if I’m unable to for a few days at a time due to work I’ll take a vitamin d supplement.

My grandmother told me that years ago when vitamin a became a fad, people started taking large doses of it. A lot of them experienced severe hair loss that never grew back. This explains why, their already underactive thyroids were being further suppressed.

xetawaves

You have given up on prog for hair? why? :(

Because I'm not getting any regrowth. My hair has gotten thinner since I started taking it. I don't think it has directly caused my hair to get thinner, but at this point I'm not even getting any maintenance.

Last edited:

Progesterone

Because I'm not getting any regrowth. My hair has gotten thinner since I started taking it. I don't think it has directly caused my hair to get thinner, but at this point I'm not even getting any maintenance.

I feel you...

ugh.

IDK man, it's tough.

I feel more docile on prog too, and more acne, but it seems to be helping hair a bit.

This ***t sucks.

I took 12mg last night instead of 100mg. I think the 100mg is too much.

I may try stopping it again and seeing, how I feel.

xetawaves

I feel you...

ugh.

IDK man, it's tough.

I feel more docile on prog too, and more acne, but it seems to be helping hair a bit.

This ***t sucks.

I took 12mg last night instead of 100mg. I think the 100mg is too much.

I may try stopping it again and seeing, how I feel.

You're right, this ***t does suck. Nobody realizes how bad it really does suck until they experience it for themselves. Slowly watching your hair fall out and your youth fade away. It ***** you up and there are guys killing themselves over this, yet nobody really seems to give a ***t. "Oh going bald if you're a guy isn't that bad" No, it is that bad. People have no right to speak out of both sides of their mouth on the topic. They say it's not a big deal, yet they'll throw bald jokes at you and bash bald people behind their backs. I've seen it so many times.

I just don't wanna be a bald guy..

Progesterone

You're right, this ***t does suck. Nobody realizes how bad it really does suck until they experience it for themselves. Slowly watching your hair fall out and your youth fade away. It ***** you up and there are guys killing themselves over this, yet nobody really seems to give a ***t. "Oh going bald if you're a guy isn't that bad" No, it is that bad. People have no right to speak out of both sides of their mouth on the topic. They say it's not a big deal, yet they'll throw bald jokes at you and bash bald people behind their backs. I've seen it so many times.

I just don't wanna be a bald guy..

Same, man. :(

Well said.

I got a HT, so you know how serious I am about this too.

I'm not going down without a fight.

Motif

Is your hair loss connected with dermatitis? In my case it is. And this is connected to histamine issues

xetawaves

Is your hair loss connected with dermatitis? In my case it is. And this is connected to histamine issues

yes, mine is. My scalp is almost always sensitive. What have you found that helps it? I used to take quercetin everyday, but not so much anymore. Maybe I should start buying it again.

Motif

yes, mine is. My scalp is almost always sensitive. What have you found that helps it? I used to take quercetin everyday, but not so much anymore. Maybe I should start buying it again.

What helped best was a really strict diet. I did an exception diet. There were like 5 foods that didn't make my scalp go crazy, but I couldn't stick to this.

There's some things that really help, but nothing cured it yet unfortunately.

I will try copper now, cause my copper is always low and it's really important for the DAO and could be the root for my histamine intolerance. Let's see.

Do you have neck or back tensions ?

xetawaves

What helped best was a really strict diet. I did an exception diet. There were like 5 foods that didn't make my scalp go crazy, but I couldn't stick to this.

There's some things that really help, but nothing cured it yet unfortunately.

I will try copper now, cause my copper is always low and it's really important for the DAO and could be the root for my histamine intolerance. Let's see.

Do you have neck or back tensions ?

Out of curiosity, what were those 5 foods? I had a few spoonfuls of honey the other night before bed and woke up with a super itchy scalp. The itchier my scalp, the more I shed.
Is your thinning mainly in the front?

I took copper for a couple months and it seemed to really help for a while, but lost its effect eventually.

I have always had bad posture. I'm currently working on fixing it, but posture is not an easy thing to fix at all. There always seems to be tension in my shoulders and neck.

Motif

Same here. More itching = more hair loss.

No itching = no hl

I think histamine and salicylates are my intolerances. I can't even tolerate oils and butter.

I can tolerate rice, potatoes, china cabbage, chicken, salt, and that's probably it. Everything else made my scalp itch.

Did you test copper before in your blood ? Did you have a deficiency?

My posture sucks too and the crazy thing is that I really think it's connected too.
Maybe a bloodflow thing. Or a cortisol thing. I don't know.

But everything that supports blood flow helps too with the itching.

For example a massage machine. These vibrating ones ...
or wimhof breathing pretty often over the day.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals