Scalp Progesterone For Hair Loss Experiment

Sheik

Hey guys, I've been using Progest-e on my scalp to see if i can regrow some hair that I've lost. I've had some bad sexual side effects from it (only one drop of progest-e per day, but I've got PFS). I've read that the vitamin E makes it absorb more efficiently into all tissues so I wonder if a different topical progesterone might stay more in the scalp instead of getting into my bloodstream?

I'd ultimately like to have a liquid progesterone that's weaker so i can put it all over my scalp. If progesterone works out for me, that is.

Newbophyte

Why not dilute it yourself? It's in an oil base, right? You could perhaps dilute by 20-100x and use a teaspoon or something like that over your whole scalp.

OP
S

Sheik

Newbophyte said:
Why not dilute it yourself? It's in an oil base, right? You could perhaps dilute by 20-100x and use a teaspoon or something like that over your whole scalp.
That's probably what I'd end up doing. But the main thing I'm wondering is how not to get too much progesterone in my bloodstream.

Is there reason to think a cream without vitamin E would be better for me?

OP
S

Sheik

Does anyone know of a good progesterone cream that's around 2%? All the ones I've found have a ton of other ingredients.

Newbophyte

Beats me, but I would venture a guess that the more cofactors in there the better, as they are synergistic. Isolating the cause if you have any improvemnet will be more difficult, but it's not like your sample size of one and lack of a double-blind trial makes this anything more than tinkering anyway. I'd just go for a mix! Throw spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks.

OP
S

Sheik

The problem is that all of the creams have ingredients that are bad, from what I've read. Like Propylene Glycol and Methylparaben.

I squeezed out the contents of one vitamin E capsule and mixed in a drop of progest-E. I used maybe half of the mixture and it made me feel pretty bad. I don't know if it's the progesterone itself or if it's psychological. I'm always afraid when I put a drug in my body, especially when it has noticeable effects.

EnoreeG

Sheik said:
The problem is that all of the creams have ingredients that are bad, from what I've read. Like Propylene Glycol and Methylparaben.

I squeezed out the contents of one vitamin E capsule and mixed in a drop of progest-E. I used maybe half of the mixture and it made me feel pretty bad. I don't know if it's the progesterone itself or if it's psychological. I'm always afraid when I put a drug in my body, especially when it has noticeable effects.

Regarding ingredients, I did a study and wrote down some notes a month ago before I made a purchase, because this time I wanted to get as healthy and effective a product as I could find, and also look at costs. As you'll see, I included the suggested application amount (for men, as that's a simple number) and also computed the cost per application. My final choice was "Natpro" (and I'm very happy with it after 3 weeks use) based on ingredients, cost, and that it WASN'T formulated from wild yam. Here's my notes, in case they can save you some time:

- - - -

From the Emerita site, I get these ingredients from their Pro-gest: 2 oz. cream derived from wild yam $30.39
45 applications of 1/8 tsp. with 10 mg. per application
cost is 67 cents / application of 10 mg.

Water (Purified), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit E), Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Carthamus Tinctorius (Hybrid Safflower) Seed Oil, Panthenol, Glycerin, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Sodium Behenoyl Lactylate, Stearic Acid, USP Progesterone, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbic Acid, Carbomer, Potassium Hydroxide

- - - -

From Peat's product page, (I like this because it doesn't have added oils other than vitamin E): 1 oz. liquid $32.00
10% solution
3 mg. / drop
suggested 3 drops (9 mg) application, 300 applications / bottle
cost is 10 cents / application of 9 mg.
Dr. Peat's Progest E Complex contains the following:

Supplement Facts: Serving Size 3 drops, Servings per Container about 300
Natural d-alpha tocopherol &/or mixed tocopherols (vitamin E) 4-22 mg per drop; 12-66 mg per serving
Natural progesterone derived from wild yam 3 mg per drop; 9 mg per serving
Other Ingredients: Vegetable triglycerides (plant-based, sourced from either olive or coconut)

- - - -

From the Pure Progesterone page of DocsPrefer.com: 2 oz. creme derived from wild yam $28.50
56 applications of 1 gm. (1/4 tsp.) yields 25 mg of progesterone which would be 112 applications at 1/8 tsp. yielding 12.5 mg.
cost is 25 cents / application of 12.5 mg.

Purified water, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Aloe Leaf extract, Organic Shea Butter,
Cetyl Alcohol (coconut oil derived), Stearic acid (palm kernel derived thickener),
USP progesterone derived from Wild Yam (Discorea Villosa) Root extract,
Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Disodium Edetate, Potassium Sorbate,
Xanthan Gum, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E).

- - - -

Progesterone Therapy's Natpro product, is $25.70 for a 2 oz. tube:

3.3% solution of bio-identical progesterone
tube contains 2000 mg. progesterone
200 applications of 1/3 gm. yields 10 mg of progesterone each. This is about 1/8 tsp. per application
cost is 13 cents / application of 10 mg.

Each tube contains :
de-ionised water
caprylic/capric triglyceride
cetearyl olivate/sorbitan olivate
progesterone Ph. Eur. USP. JP.
Aspen bark extract
dehydroxanthan gum
vitamin E described here:
http://www.progesteronetherapy.com/progesterone-cream.html#axzz3WjNs3gii

- - - -

Sarati International makes "Nature's Precise Cream" or NPC Progesterone Cream is $17.85 for a 2 oz. tube
46 1/4 teaspoon applications per tube.
21 mg progesterone / application
(one user suggested changing to 1/8 tsp. application - so there are then 92 10.5 mg applications per tube)
cost is 20 cents / application of 10.5 mg.

Ingredients: Deionized Water, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides (purified coconut oil), Polyacrylamide, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Laureth-7 (plant derived emulsifier), Progesterone (approx. 480mg/oz), Phenoxyethanol (food grade preservative), Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbic Acid, Grapefruit Seed Extract, SD Alcohol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E).

Final note: I leave it to you to check the facts currently on each product. Ingredients and prices may have change.

Brandon

Hey guys, I've been using Progest-e on my scalp to see if i can regrow some hair that I've lost. I've had some bad sexual side effects from it (only one drop of progest-e per day, but I've got PFS). I've read that the vitamin E makes it absorb more efficiently into all tissues so I wonder if a different topical progesterone might stay more in the scalp instead of getting into my bloodstream?

I'd ultimately like to have a liquid progesterone that's weaker so i can put it all over my scalp. If progesterone works out for me, that is.

Do you mind if I ask what were the side effects ? I am asking because I just bought too bottles of progest e.

OP
S

Sheik

Do you mind if I ask what were the side effects ? I am asking because I just bought too bottles of progest e.
Have you used Finasteride? Progest-e made my Finasteride side effects worse for a short time. I'm pretty much back to normal and I don't have any major issues when I use progest-e.

Brandon

Have you used Finasteride? Progest-e made my Finasteride side effects worse for a short time. I'm pretty much back to normal and I don't have any major issues when I use progest-e.
No I don't use finasteride cuz I'm scared of the side effects.

OP
S

Sheik

No, but I also didn't use it long enough on my scalp to know if it would work topically. I used it on my wrists for a good while, which didn't have any effect on my hair.

If you haven't used Finasteride then you shouldn't have the problems I had. It might temporarily lower your libido; for some men it does and for some it doesn't. But it's not going to screw you up long term like Finasteride.

TubZy

Or just use health naturas progesterone in MCT/vit E and add the amount of drops you want into olive oil or coconut oil base. I have done it with pregnenolone and DHEA but progesterone should work the same way.

johnwester130

Or just use health naturas progesterone in MCT/vit E and add the amount of drops you want into olive oil or coconut oil base. I have done it with pregnenolone and DHEA but progesterone should work the same way.

1 )the dose is nowhere near high enough

www.progesteronetherapy.com/ suggest 100mg-200mg a day

2) you will have undissolved oil in your hair

TubZy

1 )the dose is nowhere near high enough

www.progesteronetherapy.com/ suggest 100mg-200mg a day

2) you will have undissolved oil in your hair

Based off of what though? That link doesn't really say anything. We don't we really know what dose will work since there are no studies on progesterone and hair just like there are not studies on DHEA and hair. From my experience and many others on this forum, topical DHEA in the range of ~10mg improved my scalp hair and skin so it didn't take much.

I have an email from Peat saying progesterone and dhea should be at equal ratios so if one was going to try to replicate what he has seen when people regrew hair. You need to remember that topically the dose can be way less since the tissue will get much heavily saturated.

What do you mean undissolved "oil"? Oil doesn't dissolve or do you mean progesterone? Progesterone dissolves in oil fine. Same with DHEA and preg.

johnwester130

Based off of what though? That link doesn't really say anything. We don't we really know what dose will work since there are no studies on progesterone and hair just like there are not studies on DHEA and hair. From my experience and many others on this forum, topical DHEA in the range of ~10mg improved my scalp hair and skin so it didn't take much.

I have an email from Peat saying progesterone and dhea should be at equal ratios so if one was going to try to replicate what he has seen when people regrew hair. You need to remember that topically the dose can be way less since the tissue will get much heavily saturated.

What do you mean undissolved "oil"? Oil doesn't dissolve or do you mean progesterone? Progesterone dissolves in oil fine. Same with DHEA and preg.

1) I meant you would have oil in your hair and head and it will be uncomfortable

2) i don't know why they reccomend 200mg progesterone a day
Man on Natural Progesterone Cream 8-10 mg a day
Taking 200 mg of progesterone
How to use progesterone cream

TubZy

1) I meant you would have oil in your hair and head and it will be uncomfortable

2) i don't know why they reccomend 200mg progesterone a day
Man on Natural Progesterone Cream 8-10 mg a day
Taking 200 mg of progesterone
How to use progesterone cream

The only oil that is uncomfortable is castor oil, stuff is so viscous and causes fat pimples if not washed off enough- I hate that stuff. It was so thick they used it during WWII to lubricate the planes. Olive oil and coconut oil feel soothing for me, I have slept with coconut oil and olive oil on my face and hair before- no issues. Oil does not "dissolve" or evaporate, and I know this from personal experience too, I think you are thinking of like a water or alcohol solution where once you apply it, it can dry. Oils don't do that really, you put it on your hair and you wait and hour the oil is still going to be the same texture and consistency really.

I think those are product testimonials, a bit sketchy, but I guess to not totally ignore. You do know the first link you suggest mentions that 8-10mg of progesterone where the person mentioned hair growth (not 100-200mg like you said?), which is almost identical to what I was saying to how the 10mg of DHEA was sufficient enough and falls into line what Peat was saying about being the same ratio 1:1 progesterone:dhea.