Safe Solid Food Recommendations?

Ryan

I've been looking into Peat stuff for a few years now, and started "peating" nov 2017. This forum has been a great tool, but I can't seem to answer this question. (If it has been answered, send a link please?)

Considering the following:
1) Limit meat to avoid inflammatory amino acid ratio
2) Shellfish and Liver only once a week for minerals
3) Limit starches for better digestion and blood sugar control
4) Cheese commonly has irritating cultures/enzymes
5) Fruits like berries, bananas, grapefruits and more are limited/avoided for various reasons
6) Veggies are limited to avoid plant toxins and goitrogens

I suspect many of you are eating more liberally from one or more of the categories above because my local grocery store is still stocked with cherries and melons. So guys and gals, what solid foods do you eat regularly? Please help me before a chew my fingers off. I'm not stressed of course, I just really miss using my teeth for things.

KimmyG

This should be of some help:

ray-peat-final-food-choices-jpg.112

MoonDay

How do i convince someone close tome to stop eating nuts and peanut butter and protein bars with lots of nuts? When i tell her about this forum and food she should avoid. she thinks i am getting tricked by very sophisticated psyops.

KimmyG

How do i convince someone close tome to stop eating nuts and peanut butter and protein bars with lots of nuts? When i tell her about this forum and food she should avoid. she thinks i am getting tricked by very sophisticated psyops.

Have you sent her proven, scientific sources?

L

lollipop

she thinks i am getting tricked by very sophisticated psyops.
Totally hilarious :): Never imagined myself as a sophisticated psyops - lol. Maybe start cooking the food both of you eat and slowly wean her off.

MoonDay

Totally hilarious :): Never imagined myself as a sophisticated psyops - lol. Maybe start cooking the food both of you eat and slowly wean her off.
We don't live in the same household so it is little harder for that. :) Any recommendations for an article i could send her?

Last edited:
L

lollipop

No

We don't live in the same household so it is little harder for that. :) Any recommendations for an article i could send her?
:confused2 Thinking thinking. How about Kate Deering’s Book?

How to Heal Your Metabolism: Learn How the Right Foods, Sleep, the Right Amount of Exercise, and Happiness Can Increase Your Metabolic Rate and Help Heal Your Broken Metabolism https://www.amazon.com/dp/1511585625/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vGBhBbYZEGJKD

She based it on Ray’s ideas. Awesome book for a beginner.

MoonDay

:confused2 Thinking thinking. How about Kate Deering’s Book?

How to Heal Your Metabolism: Learn How the Right Foods, Sleep, the Right Amount of Exercise, and Happiness Can Increase Your Metabolic Rate and Help Heal Your Broken Metabolism https://www.amazon.com/dp/1511585625/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vGBhBbYZEGJKD

She based it on Ray’s ideas. Awesome book for a beginner.
Thanks! I will insist her to read this book but i bet she won't buy it. Does Ray have an article about nuts? I think i read it somewhere recently on his site but i can't remember it my brain is so foggy. I feel that it was mentioned in one of his article...

OP
Ryan

Ryan

I liked Kate Deering's book, it contains concise practical information; making it a good guideline for beginners like myself, and a great nutritional reference. This way you don't spend so much time trying to find that "article about nuts" by Ray Peat.

Btw, if you wanted a Ray Peat article for your friend, this one is about PUFA
Unsaturated fatty acids: Nutritionally essential, or toxic?

I understand PUFA to be the primary reason people here avoid nuts and seeds.

A. squamosa

I just stewed up some under-ripe nectarines - if you're having trouble getting your hands on ripe fruit then get yourself any fruit that improves on cooking and eat that, it's good solid food (e.g. apples, pineapple, stone fruits, pears, persimmons, berries, the list goes on) - you can grill, bake and stew them - add flavours like vanilla, honey, cinnamon, whatever. Otherwise tropical fruit like custard apple, watermelon, papaya, mangosteen, etc is always good. Capsicum, cucumber, squash, zucchini, etc, all good.
Parmiggiano reggiano, any cheese without vegetarian or microbial rennet, greek yoghurt
Bamboo, mushrooms, carrot
and plenty more!

OP
Ryan

Ryan

Cooked fruit with vanilla/cinnamon sounds like a really delicious combination; I'm definitely trying that next time I go to the store
I wish cheese was easier to find without rennet/enzymes, Parmiggiano reggiano is worse than my electric bill during the summer months

A. squamosa

:) my favourite at the moment is cherries and nectarines stewed with vanilla and honey (and a bit of water so there's syrup left at the end).
I get avoiding berries because of the lignans, but cherries don't have that problem.

have you tried amino pro? good, non-inflammatory protein supplement, can pop some of those and eat some fruit, you're golden.

Try making custards and jellies - obviously not things that really require chewing (unless you make super firm jellies), but still not liquids.

Personally, I think it's safe to have red meat up to four times a week, and white fish/shellfish up to two or three times a week - there's still plenty to chew on if you live that way. Just try to have some bone broth or gelatin in a drink when you have the meat (easiest thing to do is stew meat on the bone).

In terms of starches, you don't have to completely avoid them if you do okay on them digestively - just have them with plenty of fat and something sucrose-y on the side (and keep to root vegies and masa harina as much as possible.)

*edit: you have fat and something sucrose-y with starches to limit their impact on blood sugar, just btw

Last edited:
OP
Ryan

Ryan

Just added cherry/nectarine stew to my little (but growing) list of recipes, fortunately my store just started selling fresh cherries again. I still eat some berries because I love them (blueberries) but I don't eat strawberries. I honestly would have never considered cooking fruit at home until starting this diet, and now I am in love with my warm cooked fruit meals :)

I haven't tried amino pro, is that maybe a solidified supp of BCAAs? As of a few days ago I began doing a liver/digestive detox regimen that has been giving me really great results after so many experiments haven't. One thing I almost added was BCAA, or easy to digest protein aside from gelatin, still considering it for future n=1

A. squamosa

Here's the amino pro website if you want to check it out: AMINO PRO®

I just get frozen cherries, their season is so short here (NSW, Australia) - if I'm not careful I can get orthorexic, and it's far healthier just to eat (especially things you enjoy) than to not eat because nothing is perfect enough