Ray Peat Diet / Body Recomp / Lean Body Mass

Hi everyone,

I would like to create an "updated" discussion on our experiences on the use of the Ray Peat diet with the aim of the much sought after "bodyrecomp" or a lean mass in a slow and clean way.

I think the mass and definition phases are only for very bodybuilders and "important" weights.

If you want long-term health and longevity you have to act on mitochondrial health and an efficient krebs cycle ... of course, metabolism.

My idea is also to do two three workouts a week so as not to create too much stress and inflammation.

What are your experiences? Can you get a bodyrecomp without consuming starches? At least for one or two months, then reintroduce them.

OP
Highserotonin90
Personally I had found myself very well consuming large quantities of fruit, limiting those rich in oxalates, honey, milk, yogurt in large quantities. Coconut fat, butter, eggs, cheese. (about 40gr per day).

I used the stopwatch to keep track of micronutrients, but I managed to cover almost anything.

I consider much more the number of macronutrients compared to calories since every day the needs of each individual change and the processes are so many involved.

Supplements?

Jon

@Highserotonin90

As long as you get enough protein (0.8g protein per lb of lean mass) then you can largely fill your other calories ad libitum and you'll still be able to gain lean mass as long as the stimulus of resistance training is there and the principle of progressive overload is abided by. There are studies that show you can even be in a slight calorie deficit and still gain lean mass as long as you eat enough protein.

As far as health, longevity, and physical performance are concerned I think starches are optimal for muscular performance and and optimal metabolism. I feel much better getting a bulk of my carbs from them and my blood work is better as well. Even still, if you're asking is it possible to gain lean mass without them? Absolutely. Is it good for you?...well...guess that depends on how you feel on that type of diet and who you're asking.

I personally don't feel good eating like that but it doesn't mean you won't :).

Supplements are unnecessary and possibly detrimental unless you've truly identified a lack of adequate representation in your diet of a particular nutrient.

OP
Highserotonin90
@Highserotonin90

As long as you get enough protein (0.8g protein per lb of lean mass) then you can largely fill your other calories ad libitum and you'll still be able to gain lean mass as long as the stimulus of resistance training is there and the principle of progressive overload is abided by. There are studies that show you can even be in a slight calorie deficit and still gain lean mass as long as you eat enough protein.

As far as health, longevity, and physical performance are concerned I think starches are optimal for muscular performance and and optimal metabolism. I feel much better getting a bulk of my carbs from them and my blood work is better as well. Even still, if you're asking is it possible to gain lean mass without them? Absolutely. Is it good for you?...well...guess that depends on how you feel on that type of diet and who you're asking.

I personally don't feel good eating like that but it doesn't mean you won't :).

Supplements are unnecessary and possibly detrimental unless you've truly identified a lack of adequate representation in your diet of a particular nutrient.

Hi Jon! sorry for the delay!
What would you recommend for long-term body composition work? then improve it! Is it worthwhile to stay for a short period in deficit and work hard on training avoiding cardio?

Jon

Hi Jon! sorry for the delay!
What would you recommend for long-term body composition work? then improve it! Is it worthwhile to stay for a short period in deficit and work hard on training avoiding cardio?

No worries :) This is a sucky answer to your questions, but “It depends”

How to go about a better body comp depends on your specific situation. Are you underweight? Well then you should focus on a moderate calorie surplus and adding more sets, reps, and eventually weight to the bar. Are you overweight? Then you should focus on losing 1-1.5lbs a week at most through a calorie deficit and if an experienced resistance trainee then focus on trying to progress with reps, sets, and weight or at the very least try to maintain the strength that you have.

If fatloss was the direction you went then it should be done in 4-6 week phases with 2 week breaks (where you just maintain weight) between 4-6 week stints to ameliorate stress hormone and fatigue accumulation.

This sort of fatloss phasing should only be done for about 8 months straight then a month long break should be taken to normalize leptin and grhelin levels completely and create a new bodyfat settling point.

Jon

And on the cardio question, I don’t think cardio should be used unless a person is very sedentary. 10,000 steps a day is a good baseline for health benefit, but beyond that I don’t think cardio is necessary for fatloss to healthy levels. If you’re competing in bodybuilding or the like, then cardio is necessary for most to get down past ~7% bf for men and ~9% for women (in my experience. I’ve yet to see scientific data supporting that though*)

Calorie deficits and strength training are your most powerful tools for sustainable fatloss and subsequent body recomp. I’m also of the opinion fatloss in it of itself is an unhealthy process, but it’s definitely a nessecary evil if once on the other side more optimal health parameters await :).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals