Propane Gas Grill?

cyclops

Wondering how bad, good, or neutral cooking food on an outdoor gas grill is? What about compared to a charcoal grill?

Sepulchrave

Hasn't Peat said that AGEs are just as bad as PUFA? Maybe someone can post relevant quotes.

I don't even fry onions in oil. I cook everything in water. Read Seignalet's book.

jitsmonkey

that depends on how much you use it.
I don't eat a ton of meat and eat even less directly cooked meat (its usually in something else)
so if you're talking 1 or 2x a week I'm sure its fine
daily use? no clue.

J

jb116

Hasn't Peat said that AGEs are just as bad as PUFA? Maybe someone can post relevant quotes.

I don't even fry onions in oil. I cook everything in water. Read Seignalet's book.
Ray has spoken about the relative time of cooking. Of course you don't want to burn your food and eat it.
When he talked about baking salmon for example versus frying it, frying is better because it can be done faster without oxidizing
the cholesterol as much versus the long baking times that would damage the cholesterols, and in the case of that kind of fish, the unstable pufas as well.
Also overall, he has stated that pufas are much more responsible for AGEs than sugars are. So, once again, don't burn sugars and proteins first and foremost. I little bit of burnt corners or whatever is not going to kill you.
But secondly, don't prolong cooking, especially when they are unsaturated fats.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

Not sure what AGEs are. Could you tell me?

that depends on how much you use it.
I don't eat a ton of meat and eat even less directly cooked meat (its usually in something else)
so if you're talking 1 or 2x a week I'm sure its fine
daily use? no clue.

I use the grill allot. Really like the convenience and taste. Hoping its not harming me.

J

jb116

Not sure what AGEs are. Could you tell me?

I use the grill allot. Really like the convenience and taste. Hoping its not harming me.
Advanced Glycation End-product.
There is a sugar molecule bond to protein but enzymatic action is lost. Found in degenerative disease, such as diabetes.
Mainstream view is sugar is the culprit. Peat has mentioned several times, it's the unsaturated fats that cause this problem much
more in their instability.

Ell

But also note the statements of WF Koch on the way in which non-rancid fresh PUFA's are co-catalysts in re-establishing lost natural immunity. This is supported by the many reported positive results of th so-called Budwig diet employing flax as a primary source. Moreover, some PUFA's are essential by virtue of the anti-inflammatory action of certain prostaglandins made enzymatically, one example being gamma linolenic. My read is that PUFA's as a class cannot all be lumped together as being either good or bad, sort of like people. Each one is different and should be judged on the merits of their roles, some being more or less essential and/or beneficial than others. In fact, we know that we absolutely need some PUFA's, example being the absorption in the gut tract of beta carotene when even a tiny amount of oil is present. I believe the same holds for the ubiquinones and the menatetrenones, and likely to other oil-soluble substances which are essential to health. As for propane being employed as cooking gas for having the combustion vapors contact the food, the answer depends in part at least on the quality of the combustion. One way to judge it might be to place a plate of tempered glass above the flame at the approx. location of where the food would be, and look to see if soot deposits. If it does, then you know that you'll lkely be eating some of that soot, which may obviously contain polycyclic aromatics. If you actually try this, it is essential to wear gloves and safety glasses, and to expect that the glass will likely shatter at some point if held above the flame, I'd suggest the test be done quickly. Or alternately, a clean plate of polished stainless steel might be a safer way to observe the sooting. good luck

GelatinGoblin

But also note the statements of WF Koch on the way in which non-rancid fresh PUFA's are co-catalysts in re-establishing lost natural immunity. This is supported by the many reported positive results of th so-called Budwig diet employing flax as a primary source. Moreover, some PUFA's are essential by virtue of the anti-inflammatory action of certain prostaglandins made enzymatically, one example being gamma linolenic. My read is that PUFA's as a class cannot all be lumped together as being either good or bad, sort of like people. Each one is different and should be judged on the merits of their roles, some being more or less essential and/or beneficial than others. In fact, we know that we absolutely need some PUFA's, example being the absorption in the gut tract of beta carotene when even a tiny amount of oil is present. I believe the same holds for the ubiquinones and the menatetrenones, and likely to other oil-soluble substances which are essential to health. As for propane being employed as cooking gas for having the combustion vapors contact the food, the answer depends in part at least on the quality of the combustion. One way to judge it might be to place a plate of tempered glass above the flame at the approx. location of where the food would be, and look to see if soot deposits. If it does, then you know that you'll lkely be eating some of that soot, which may obviously contain polycyclic aromatics. If you actually try this, it is essential to wear gloves and safety glasses, and to expect that the glass will likely shatter at some point if held above the flame, I'd suggest the test be done quickly. Or alternately, a clean plate of polished stainless steel might be a safer way to observe the sooting. good luck

Fair advice.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals