Powdered Gelatins Make Me Ill - Homemade Makes Me Healthy - Why/How?

DMF

Homemade bone broth gelatin does so much for my health, but instant causes sluggishness, headaches,
overall unwell feelings even at low dosages. Why should that be? I asked if the two were so different from one another in another post but didn't get much information.

fradon

Homemade bone broth gelatin does so much for my health, but instant causes sluggishness, headaches,
overall unwell feelings even at low dosages. Why should that be? I asked if the two were so different from one another in another post but didn't get much information.

from what i read instant has sulfites or sulphites while home made does not. many people have sulphites sensitivity and it can land you in the hospital. there are a lot of undeclared sulphites in a lot of manufactured foods. i've had issues with sulfites and salycylates and both problems go hand in hand and one increases the other.

GOOGLE: THE SULPHITE CONNECTION

LUH 3417

Great Lakes gelatin made me sick as a dog. Homemade bone broth makes me happy and healthy.

Luckytype

For those that feel sick - are you otherwise what you would consider to "good health"?

Have you tried something like the hydrolyzed version? I love the broken down stuff from nu naturals

LUH 3417

For those that feel sick - are you otherwise what you would consider to "good health"?

Have you tried something like the hydrolyzed version? I love the broken down stuff from nu naturals
I’m very sensitive, especially to food I eat alone. If I eat with other people I can handle lots of different food, but gelatin isn’t really one of those things you go out and meet a friend for.

LUH 3417

Roger that, the guy who carries salted collagen peptided OJ in a "bro" shaker cup
Lol. I also don’t like the consistency of gelatin in drinks. I grew up drinking a lot of chicken bone broth so it’s probably psychological too.

Luckytype

I found i could never get enough in the drink but still have it drinkable. I would always need a spoon once mixed(which was a task in itself) the collagen peptides are nice for that

OP
D

DMF

Sulfites - I see them on wine labels, but just what are they?

LUH 3417

How does eating alone vs. with others change your food sensitivities?
Sometimes when I eat alone I’ll read or use my phone while I’m eating which probably means I’m inhaling my food rather than chewing it.

I think you get social cues from people to chew and take breaks to speak or tell a joke when you’re eating with others and it helps with digestion.

When I eat with others I’m not hyper focused on what I’m eating and all the bad things I’ve read about the food in question. When I eat alone I turn my meals into a science project and it’s not always conducive to appetite or salivation.

Aleeri

Interesting, I always wondered why I can eat like 100g fried pork rinds in one sitting and feel great but 1 tablespoon of gelatin powder or 2 tablespoons of hydrolyzed collagen gives me brain fog and a very weird wired but sedated feeling.

However, there are sulphites in many things I don't react to and people with sulphite sensitivity can react to aspirin, so how come I don't?

cyclops

I guess it might be better to just go with glycine (and maybe proline) if you dont have access to homemade broth.

Evgenius

I took 10 g of cooking gelatin for a few days and realized it made me very constipated. It improved after I stopped it.

Kartoffel

Gelatine is very likely to contain significant amounts of endotoxin that can cause hypoglycemia, inflammation and strong mental irritation within minutes, if the intestinal wall is already somewhat leaky.

theLaw

Dissolved this type in boiling juice, but still experienced pretty nasty endotoxin symptoms. Never had this issue with the green can.

81Incz25nIL._SY355AA355_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_AA355_SH20_.jpg

Vinero

I don't think gelatin contains endotoxin, otherwise Ray would have mentioned that.
It's more likely a quality issue.
Just like the quality of most commercial vitamin supplements is dangerously low and likely to cause allergic reactions.
Most commercial gelatin that is sold is also unfortunately contaminated with allergens.

LUH 3417

I don't think gelatin contains endotoxin, otherwise Ray would have mentioned that.
It's more likely a quality issue.
Just like the quality of most commercial vitamin supplements, gelatin is unfortunately contaminated with allergens.
RPs article on meat physiology and stress creates a strong case against powdered gelatin if you peel away the ideology of his thinking. So his recommending gelatin seems quite contradictory. If frozen and tortured animals create allergenic responses in the body, how would one live with that assessment and still recommend powdered gelatin? I can’t imagine Great Lakes Gelatin producers name the cows they slaughter and put flowers in their ears.

Mossy

Interesting, I always wondered why I can eat like 100g fried pork rinds in one sitting and feel great but 1 tablespoon of gelatin powder or 2 tablespoons of hydrolyzed collagen gives me brain fog and a very weird wired but sedated feeling.

However, there are sulphites in many things I don't react to and people with sulphite sensitivity can react to aspirin, so how come I don't?
This is definitely me as well--gelatin powder or hydrolyzed collagen really bog down my system. Mission pork rinds are so tasty; I eat 3-4 servings a day.