Plant Based Diet Was Best For Me. Is Ray Peat A Bunch Of Bs?

Kt400

I was on a plant based diet in 2017 for about 8 months. I never had dhiarrea and my poops were the best.

Ever since I switched back to eating meat I would have dhiarrea once in a while.

Ever since I found out about Ray peat diet I have dhiarrea every week.

I came on here to learn. The only thing I've learned is a lot of the advice given on here is b.s. People say stuff without empirical evidence all the time.

Not too long ago I posted about me being diagnosed with arterial thoracic outlet syndrome, back pain, and eczyma. A majority of responses had to do with me possibly having a low thyroid. How the hell does having a low thyroid have anything to do with said symptoms? I even had tests done checking my t3 and 4 levels which were all fine and people still said I could have a low thyroid. Makes no sense.

If anything at least let this be a reminder to trust no one. Maybe it's just me but the whole Ray peat stuff just ain't working. I showed much more energy and pooped much better while on plant based diet.

I think Ray has said that truly healthy bowel movements would seem like diarrhea to most westerners.

OP
K

Kt400

I think Ray has said that truly healthy bowel movements would seem like diarrhea to most westerners.
I think peat is full of crap. Having dhiarrea with cramps and loss of energy is not a good thing

Runenight201

Peats main deal is thyroid function and PUFA. If you feel worse peating than stop peating. Peat himself doesn’t even recommend muscle meat, noting numerous problems with it. Dairy can be hard in a compromised metabolism, so you could always try plant based + eggs and gelatin.

There’s a reason why we all ended up here and trying his ideas, and that’s because we didn’t feel like we had optimal health. Why would you try Peating if you felt like plant based was the best, unless despite being plant based, you still had health problems, leaving the conclusion that perhaps plant based isn’t the best...

OP
K

Kt400

Peats main deal is thyroid function and PUFA. If you feel worse peating than stop peating. Peat himself doesn’t even recommend muscle meat, noting numerous problems with it. Dairy can be hard in a compromised metabolism, so you could always try plant based + eggs and gelatin.

There’s a reason why we all ended up here and trying his ideas, and that’s because we didn’t feel like we had optimal health. Why would you try Peating if you felt like plant based was the best, unless despite being plant based, you still had health problems, leaving the conclusion that perhaps plant based isn’t the best...
Being on the road a lot it was extremely inconvenient and very hard to bulk while on plant based diet

Soundios

I was on a plant based diet in 2017 for about 8 months. I never had dhiarrea and my poops were the best.

Ever since I switched back to eating meat I would have dhiarrea once in a while.

I came on here to learn. The only thing I've learned is a lot of the advice given on here is b.s. People say stuff without empirical evidence all the time.

Not too long ago I posted about me being diagnosed with arterial thoracic outlet syndrome, back pain, and eczyma. A majority of responses had to do with me possibly having a low thyroid. How the hell does having a low thyroid have anything to do with said symptoms? I even had tests done checking my t3 and 4 levels which were all fine and people still said I could have a low thyroid. Makes no sense.

If anything at least let this be a reminder to trust no one. Maybe it's just me but the whole Ray peat stuff just ain't working. I showed much more energy and pooped much better while on plant based diet.

Much of the advice given here that is accepted as the general consensus on Peat's work is at the very least wrong and in some instances dangerous. I would go as far to say a lot of the people giving advice are just parroting what they've seen from others on this forum.
If a plant based diet puts you in good health then it makes sense to continue and make adjustments based on your own understanding and experience. Avoid too much in the way of unsaturated vegetable/seeds oils is all I'd say.

Kartoffel

So, just finding out about Ray Peat and thinking about his ideas gave you diarrhea? Gods help you, if you ever put some of his dietary recommendations into practice.

YourUniverse

Are you sure to wash your hands and utensils, and being careful not to cross-contaminate raw meat with things in your kitchen, when you do your cooking?

schultz

Ray has articles on his site. There are also a bunch of podcasts. If you want answers then start reading and listening to the podcasts. If that sounds too hard then I suggest you go back to your old diet that was working for you.

Mary Lyn

@Kt400

I came here from plant based no sos, just before you and am extremely grateful I found this place and the extremely clever helpful people here. One thing I am thankful for is in discovering just how sick I am. I was plant based for a year, then before that, AIP paleo and both eating plans did my health in further, AIP by giving me insulin resistence and gall bladder plus pancreas problems, and plant based by doing a number on my thyroid.

I was in the iThrive community, and was seeing them shed weight and diabetes , but I was stalling and know now it was because my main problem was thyroid and not obesity and diabetes from eating wrong. Boy did they not like it when I said it was not working for me and I got assinine comments.

You need to know what your main problem is and it could be thyroid, you have to find out. Blood tests are meaningless. They often do not correlate. And anyway, you have hardly been here 5 mins before you start to complain. You need to do a lot more reading first. I am working out and experimenting with the best diet for me and it looks like it will be plant based, minus grains nuts and seeds, with aminos, some cheese, broth and gelatin. Already I am feeling warmer.

Douglas Ek

Being on the road a lot it was extremely inconvenient and very hard to bulk while on plant based diet

Just because you had diarreah doesnt mean everyone else who eats meat has diarreah. Everyones different you gave it a try and it wasnt for you. Kinda silly to go on a rant how it’s all lies and that vegan is the best. For me it’s the opposite sad for you that it didn’t work if you wanted it to work. Vegan seems to be the best for you. No need to call the rest of us liars.

Douglas Ek

@Kt400

I came here from plant based no sos, just before you and am extremely grateful I found this place and the extremely clever helpful people here. One thing I am thankful for is in discovering just how sick I am. I was plant based for a year, then before that, AIP paleo and both eating plans did my health in further, AIP by giving me insulin resistence and gall bladder plus pancreas problems, and plant based by doing a number on my thyroid.

I was in the iThrive community, and was seeing them shed weight and diabetes , but I was stalling and know now it was because my main problem was thyroid and not obesity and diabetes from eating wrong. Boy did they not like it when I said it was not working for me and I got assinine comments.

You need to know what your main problem is and it could be thyroid, you have to find out. Blood tests are meaningless. They often do not correlate. And anyway, you have hardly been here 5 mins before you start to complain. You need to do a lot more reading first. I am working out and experimenting with the best diet for me and it looks like it will be plant based, minus grains nuts and seeds, with aminos, some cheese, broth and gelatin. Already I am feeling warmer.

My recommendation would be to eat a diversity of foods. Eat the foods you love eating and enjoy. And make sure you eat enough kcals for your metabolism. For a woman 1500-2000 kcals should be the aim even higher if your tall, young and exercise a lot. You can’t burn fuel if you don’t supply it. And mixing upp specific diets will just throw your bodies balance off and give you digestion problems etc...
Ps you might do but I can’t stress cooking your own food. An example is Americans. If you are a cook and make your own food your sort of a wizard. They always have the nicest kitchens but still u see them eating Cheerios for breakfast and always ask what we wanna eat Chinese or Italian? Like ordering hole food even when they have the most modern kitchen to cook in. They don’t even know how to use it.

Last edited:

Mary Lyn

Hi Douglas Ek

I consider myself transitioning at the moment and am going slowly because I know my biochemistry is very messed up and doing those two massive changes before will not have help me. I am listening to my body atm and avoiding putting too much weight on - 8 lbs is my limit. I am eating cheese now whereas before I thought I was casein intolerant so that is progress. I am eating whole oranges, carrot salad and the mushroom dish, while avoiding muscle meat and having liver weekly.

I don't think I will ever do the basic peat diet though of mostly liquids, and although I know that vegetables contain certain toxic substances, I believe that we were created to live off fruit and vegatables, nuts seeds etc basically plant based no SOS with some milk and honey. However our bodies might need adjusting to the perfect diet for us but the toxic substances are needed to stress the system and for micronutrients.

I see the plant based doctors still working in their 80's and looking and sounding much better than Peat. I do acknowledge that we all come into this from different illnesses and as far as I know Peat may have been very ill. But he sounds fragile now. So I will work my way through what my body tells me with hopefully some advice on the way.

I will increase my calories when my motabolism revs up and obesity is not good. But thank you for your imput.

Douglas Ek

Hi Douglas Ek

I consider myself transitioning at the moment and am going slowly because I know my biochemistry is very messed up and doing those two massive changes before will not have help me. I am listening to my body atm and avoiding putting too much weight on - 8 lbs is my limit. I am eating cheese now whereas before I thought I was casein intolerant so that is progress. I am eating whole oranges, carrot salad and the mushroom dish, while avoiding muscle meat and having liver weekly.

I don't think I will ever do the basic peat diet though of mostly liquids, and although I know that vegetables contain certain toxic substances, I believe that we were created to live off fruit and vegatables, nuts seeds etc basically plant based no SOS with some milk and honey. However our bodies might need adjusting to the perfect diet for us but the toxic substances are needed to stress the system and for micronutrients.

I see the plant based doctors still working in their 80's and looking and sounding much better than Peat. I do acknowledge that we all come into this from different illnesses and as far as I know Peat may have been very ill. But he sounds fragile now. So I will work my way through what my body tells me with hopefully some advice on the way.

I will increase my calories when my motabolism revs up and obesity is not good. But thank you for your imput.

Hi!
My bad my post was actually towards Kt400 dunno why I quoted your comment. Any way though eating around the number of kcals your burn will not make you obese. All you need to do is google calculate your basal metabolic rate. get the numbers then count the calories you eat and youll find out how much you should eat and not to eat to be able to have great energy but not gain weight.

Kartoffel

I don't think I will ever do the basic peat diet though of mostly liquids

There is no such thing as a basic Peat diet. His diet is what people make out of his recommendations.

My recommendation is to eat to increase the metabolic rate (usually temperature and heart rate), rather than any particular foods.” — Ray Peat
I see the plant based doctors still working in their 80's and looking and sounding much better than Peat.

Can you name a few?

Douglas Ek

There is no such thing as a basic Peat diet. His diet is what people make out of his recommendations.

My recommendation is to eat to increase the metabolic rate (usually temperature and heart rate), rather than any particular foods.” — Ray Peat

Can you name a few?

exactly eat to increase the metabolic rate number one here is to eat enough kcals. Kcals means the energy content of food supplied to your body and thyroid is the adjustor of metabolism burning energy so it can sense when there's enough energy supplied or not. The thyroid is most sensitive to sugar which is the simplest form of energy so that's why ray recommends it.

Mary Lyn

Last one was a bit older, I know.

@Kartoffel

The fact that Peat himself lives mainly off milk and orange juice says a lot but yes I know that he does not say that his diet is for everyone.

I do wish that Peaterians would go on YouTube like athletic and body building vegans and plant based do. Anyone have any clips? And yes I do know that it is difficult to judge entirely by how someone looks because of the stage of illness they were in and how old before quitting SAD.

I also want to add that it is the no sugar salt or oil plant based that has the best results. There are many versions of plant based.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals