Persistently Low Pregnenolone Level

DarkRiver

May 2017

21 ng/dL (one day after I took a 10mg pregnenolone pill)

Reference Range: 22-237 (ng/dL)

Feb 2017

<5 ng/dL (I was on testosterone replacement therapy + HCG at the time)

Reference Range: 13-208 (ng/dL)

Nov 2016

23 ng/dL

Reference Range: 13-208 (ng/dL)

I have been suffering from major depressive disorder for over a year...could this condition have anything to my low pregnenolone? Anyone know of any related risks or symptoms?

What is the ideal supplementation dosage...the PureE capsules I have are 10 mg each. Thanks.

OP
D

DarkRiver

What's interesting is that when I was on TRT + HCG, both my DHEA and pregnenolone levels crashed.

DHEA - Nov. 2016
1099 ng/dL (61 - 1636)

Pregnenolone - Nov. 2016
23 ng/dL (13 - 208)

***STARTED TRT + HCG***

DHEA - Feb. 2017
255 ng/dL (61 - 1636)

Pregnenolone - Feb. 2017
<5 ng/dL (13 - 208)

***STOPPED TRT + HCG***

DHEA - May. 2017
414 ng/dL (61 - 1636)

Pregnenolone - May 2017
21 ng/dL (13 - 208)

Looks like my DHEA is still trying to recover and get back to 1000+ where it was originally. Is it common for DHEA and pregnenolone to plummet when on TRT?

SQu

I don't know about blood levels or any of the other things you mention; and couldn't recommend a dose; but for me, pregnenolone is crucial for keeping depression at bay. I take more than 10mg though. It's not like I think I have an ideal dose, I just take what's available to me, that's why I wouldn't recommend an exact amount but for what it's worth I take 100mg a day. I also credit theanine and magnesium for dealing with the depression and anxiety and these things are working for other family members too.

Wagner83

Correct if I'm wrong, but a lot of dhea and pregnenolone benefits come from their downstream conversion into various hormones. If you are on TRT it makes sense to me the body would produce way less of those.

OP
D

DarkRiver

I don't know about blood levels or any of the other things you mention; and couldn't recommend a dose; but for me, pregnenolone is crucial for keeping depression at bay. I take more than 10mg though. It's not like I think I have an ideal dose, I just take what's available to me, that's why I wouldn't recommend an exact amount but for what it's worth I take 100mg a day. I also credit theanine and magnesium for dealing with the depression and anxiety and these things are working for other family members too.

Wow, this guy here says not to take more than 5 mg of pregnenolone a day:

Pregnenolone side effects, benefit, dosage danger supplement

Correct if I'm wrong, but a lot of dhea and pregnenolone benefits come from their downstream conversion into various hormones. If you are on TRT it makes sense to me the body would produce way less of those.

That's a valid point; however, even before I went on TRT my pregnenolone was really low:

DHEA - Nov. 2016
1099 ng/dL (61 - 1636)

Pregnenolone - Nov. 2016
23 ng/dL (13 - 208)

As you can see, my DHEA was very healthy at 1099, but pregnenolone was a dismal 23. Since DHEA supposedly comes from pregnenolone, don't ask me how this is possible...

SQu

not recommending my dose AT ALL!
just what happens to work for me
I believe the range can be wide

Dave Clark

I know everybody is biologically different, but didn't Ray Peat take four digit doses of pregnenolone for a year without complications? I see most recommended doses between 30 and 50 mg/day, although others say lower than that is optimal. These precursor hormones sure have different effects on different people. I guess judging between your blood tests and your symptoms is all you can really do to get a dose that works for you.