People Who Wake Up And Drink Black Coffee - Why No Stress Reactions?

is it that they already are high cortisol and that prevents a reaction because they already are experiencing hypoglycemia and high cortisol?

I'm talking about people who wake up, drink black coffee, then go to work and don't eat until later.

paymanz

Yes it must be high stress hormones, and probably their respiratory quotient is low , they must be running on fat. like everyone else with high stress hormone level.

opson123

This is me. I eat once a day in the morning, so I'm basically running on stress hormones and burning fat the whole day. If I wake up too early, I could drink a cup of coffee and go back to sleep. If I add some sugar or eat carbs before coffee, I get jitters.

I don't drink coffee though, because gut.

lampofred

Or maybe they have good glycogen storage?

Waremu

I think in general, people who are already hypothyroid are less sensitive to adrenaline and are more 'numb' to it. This is why when thyroid is normalized and one is on thyroid medication, they become more sensitive to adrenaline effects once again, for example. So if someone is low thyroid and is in a high cortisol and adrenaline state, they are very used to operating in 'fight or flight' mode and often at times feel good, and coffee can even increase those effects. So a stressed metabolism will use more adrenaline and other stress hormones as a driver. This is why often people who lower adrenaline and cortisol can feel calm and sleepy at first, until their metabolism and thyroid normalizes and they burn glucose more efficiently for energy and are not overproducing lactic acid, etc. So those who drink coffee and have stressed metabolisms will likely see short term benefit from it at the expense of more efficient or 'healthy' metabolism. I was a huge coffee and tea drinker in the mornings and the adrenaline boost acted like an efficient driver for me with regards to energy. But it came at a cost, which was often many nights of adrenaline-induced insomnia, etc.

TeaRex14

Probably related to them already using stress metabolism frequently. The weird thing with me, I can drink coffee with 3-5 tbsps of sugar and still get a adrenaline response. The only way I don't get the adrenaline response is if I take around 250mgs of theanine at the same time, that blunts it. Coffee's GABA antagonism is a huge problem for me evidently.

Jsaute21

Great question. I think there are several potential factors and it is highly individual. I do think low thyroid/high stress hormone people certainly make up a quota of these people. I do however think that very healthy people can tolerate almost anything to their system without a stress response. I am a fairly naturally healthy person that in college or even a couple years out could drink black coffee and not encounter a stress response. I could also drink a very unhealthy quantity of alcohol and experience a limited hangover the next day. Ray has often said that very healthy livers can filter out PUFA's and feel limited effects from their intake, which is why healthy high schoolers can eat a tub of peanut butter and feel great. As we get older, and years of unhealthy dietary and lifestyle habits accumulate, we all become vulnerable so to speak. However, I have noticed that my unhealthy friends don't seem bothered by stress responses, hangovers, etc. as much as my healthier friends now that we are 30 or so years old.

My wife is extremely healthy and naturally has a pulse rate of 90 or so BPM without avoiding PUFAS. She listens to her body excellently, has never engaged in food restriction, over exercise, extreme diets etc. which I think has allowed her liver to function excellently.

Very interesting debate though. Good thread.

OP
ecstatichamster
how very interesting. When I was still hypothyroid and PUFA laden I would also get sleepy after eating, which doesn't happen anymore. I guess it's kind of related to the initial question...

Hairfedup

I believe there is a gene responsible for this....actually I know there is. I can't tell you which exact variant it is right now, but if you've ever had your autosomal DNA tested, companies like Wegene can tell you. Although their physical characteristics section is horrible (tried to tell me I have no variants in explosive power but I've been tested repeatedly and have almost every variant lol). Health and eccentricities are decent though.

Cirion

Glycogen can sustain that long, unless your run on fats,stress hormones.

Which isn't very many people, certainly not me, lol.

Ray does say a healthy individual can go something like 12 hrs without food, but I would wager the average joe can't even last the night (8 hr) without food, let alone 12. I know I can't even last 8 hr yet.

paymanz

Which isn't very many people, certainly not me, lol.

Ray does say a healthy individual can go something like 12 hrs without food, but I would wager the average joe can't even last the night (8 hr) without food, let alone 12. I know I can't even last 8 hr yet.
Sorry i meant "can't".

Corrected it.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I went 16 hours just fine after dinner last night until my lunch break today. I woke up and drank some black coffee and started driving to work. At one point I felt hungry but didn’t have the time or opportunity to eat and it passed. I was able to do that just fine when I was younger and I’ve been doing it again at times when necessary over the last couple years. I think glycogen storage might be part of it. Maybe part of it’s inherited too? My dad is the same and he’s doing great at 73.

Hairfedup

I believe there is a gene responsible for this....actually I know there is. I can't tell you which exact variant it is right now, but if you've ever had your autosomal DNA tested, companies like Wegene can tell you. Although their physical characteristics section is horrible (tried to tell me I have no variants in explosive power but I've been tested repeatedly and have almost every variant lol). Health and eccentricities are decent though.

Here it is for anyone that cares:

CYP1A2

Located on chromosome 15, mainly expressed in the liver, encoding a metabolic enzyme in the No. 2 subfamily of the No. 1 family of cytochrome P450. Studies have shown that CYP1A2 gene rs762551 locus genotype AA individuals, CYP1A2 enzyme activity is higher, so caffeine is metabolized faster in the body. Therefore, caffeine has a limited duration of action and is less sensitive to caffeine. In individuals with a genotype of CC, CYP1A2 is less active and therefore more sensitive to caffeine.

I'm AA, so I can and do wake up and drink black coffee with very little stress response, as far as I know.

olive

Healthy people can get away with more; good liver function, high muscle glycogen, low cortisol, low adipose tissue, etc

Negative reactions to coffee seems to be related to poor liver function and high cortisol, from what I’ve experienced

Personally, I periodically fast on nothing but caffeine for days at a time with zero ‘stress’ reaction

DavidGardner

Experience with caffeine plays a role too. I think you can become so adapted to caffeine after years of usage that it becomes less stressful to have coffee without food in the morning than to have food without coffee. I have gotten to this point, though I was not always there.

paymanz

or maybe its something related to lymphatic system. which also explains good experience of some people with fasting.

OP
ecstatichamster
I think is this. They already have high cortisol. They are already burning fat and free fatty acids are flowing through their bloodstream. This is a very sustainable state. It doesn’t cause any distress either. Only the sudden transition to this state is stressful. When I fast I can drink plenty of coffee with no real consequences either.

Kyle Bigman

I think is this. They already have high cortisol. They are already burning fat and free fatty acids are flowing through their bloodstream. This is a very sustainable state. It doesn’t cause any distress either. Only the sudden transition to this state is stressful. When I fast I can drink plenty of coffee with no real consequences either.

Same here. It actually feels natural, like you are just enhancing a state. The sad thing is that when I wake up in the morning, I really don't feel hungry, and I wonder if that is leftover consequences of my intermittent fasting days. All I eat now is some niacinamide, some fruit juice, and sugar in coffee with milk. But I wonder if this is still prolonging the stress response, since when I eat lunch later in the day I have a "crash" of sorts.

I think people who fast and drink coffee are just riding the high of stress hormones. And somehow it does feel good.

Peater Piper

I generally drink coffee after meals, but I have had coffee in the morning on an empty stomach when I was in a rush. My reaction is almost entirely based on how I slept. Poor sleep plus coffee leads to me getting a stress reaction. I've learned simply not to do this. On the other hand, coffee after a solid night's sleep is fine. Even with food in my stomach, my coffee tolerance goes down if I'm feeling particularly stressed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals