Penn Jillette Credits Potato Diet For 100 Pound Weight Loss

kiran

Eating just potatoes with a little fat healed your gut? What was the problem with your gut before this?

I had food poisoning for a bit and my gut wouldn't tolerate anything much. I ate mostly potatoes and egg until it healed, thats all i could tolerate really.

3ball

I've been playing with the potato hack myself lately, and so far it's all the it's cracked up to be. Very impressive results. In fact, I would say that the results have run contrary what Ray says about starch. I have not had luck getting to a good weight focusing on sugar (quite the opposite). Starch is working much better. No negative health effects.

EIRE24

I've been playing with the potato hack myself lately, and so far it's all the it's cracked up to be. Very impressive results. In fact, I would say that the results have run contrary what Ray says about starch. I have not had luck getting to a good weight focusing on sugar (quite the opposite). Starch is working much better. No negative health effects.
I think the same. Starch is great

OP
O

OrangeJuice

Georgi (Haidut) was on Danny Roddy's podcast and mentioned once that, worst case scenario, you could live on simply Potatoes and Butter (Buttered Potatoes) because it gives you enough Protein, Carbs and Fat macro blend...and if you body started to pull from you muscle (for aminos that lacked in diet) it could recycle itself with minimal/negligible muscle wasting (or something to that effect).

EIRE24

I
Georgi (Haidut) was on Danny Roddy's podcast and mentioned once that, worst case scenario, you could live on simply Potatoes and Butter (Buttered Potatoes) because it gives you enough Protein, Carbs and Fat macro blend...and if you body started to pull from you muscle (for aminos that lacked in diet) it could recycle itself with minimal/negligible muscle wasting (or something to that effect).
interesting. So you think the butter would be essential? I guess if it was just potatoes it would be way too low in fat

InChristAlone

Yeah potatoes work for a lot of people. Not to mention being a staple in some countries so much so that when the gov't starves their own people of the potatoes they grow, they die! (the potato famine). Potatoes are sooo filling to me though after a few days. I wouldn't be able to eat near enough calories. Unless my gut was forced to adapt or something. Maybe I have SIBO, I do well on fruit/sugar or refined starches.

Luann

I guess he didn't like potatoes enough to eat much?

That's how mono meals work. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, in fact I'm very happy to eat simply and honor food as a basic life-supporting thing, not like an ambrosia feast. And it's how millions of people live, whether by choice or necessity

3ball

There is a Buddhist chant that most monks and many laypeople do before eating:

I will not use this food for distraction,
or for pleasure,
or for vanity,

but only for nourishing my body,
staying healthy,
and living the Spiritual Life.

I will ease my hunger without overeating
so that I can live virtuously and at ease.

belcanto

There is a Buddhist chant that most monks and many laypeople do before eating:

I will not use this food for distraction,
or for pleasure,
or for vanity,

but only for nourishing my body,
staying healthy,
and living the Spiritual Life.

I will ease my hunger without overeating
so that I can live virtuously and at ease.

So I guess they don't have many all-you-can-eat buffets in Buddhist countries!:rolleyes:

denise

I think the same. Starch is great
Same here. When I did a 3-day potato hack back in April, within 24 hours of eating nothing but potatoes my bloating went away. The effects lasted for a few days after the hack ended, and nothing I've tried since has made any difference. I keep thinking about doing another one, but it gets pretty tough. I wonder, if I did it long enough, whether it would totally fix the bloating.

EIRE24

Same here. When I did a 3-day potato hack back in April, within 24 hours of eating nothing but potatoes my bloating went away. The effects lasted for a few days after the hack ended, and nothing I've tried since has made any difference. I keep thinking about doing another one, but it gets pretty tough. I wonder, if I did it long enough, whether it would totally fix the bloating.
Why not give it a try? I feel the same way about potatoes. If I eat them, no matter how much I never get any bloat. I don't know why this would be either?

Rafael

I am on the 4th day of the potato diet. I initially thought Penn Jillette lied about how he lost weight, until I decided to try it. Yes, just eating potatoes is boring and that's the point. I am finding it impossible to overeat on potatoes. I am feeling light headed and weird, but its okay. The main thing is how manageable this is. I do not feel deprived. If I get hungry, I eat some potatoes. Unlike Penn I have added some salt and garlic to it. I am very curious to see the weight loss when I officially weigh myself Thursday. I was at 262.5, and I am a 6 foot tall, 47 year old male. I really have tried all of the other options, and none of them worked. I looked up the plan online and I will follow it. After about two weeks I will add other vegetables, like Penn did. It looks like I am turning Vegan. Eating meat all of these years hasn't worked out too well for me.

Luann

In fact, I would say that the results have run contrary what Ray says about starch. I have not had luck getting to a good weight focusing on sugar (quite the opposite). Starch is working much better. No negative health effects.

Shout out to them nice big starch granules : )

Tarmander

This is a pretty astounding podcast. Penn goes against his guru, Ray Cronise regarding sugar, and many secrets are revealed surrounding how they all really feel on this diet.

PodcastOne: Julieanna Hever & Ray Cronise (part I)
yeah was pretty interesting. They did not exactly endorse sugar, but said the "sugar high" did not exist. It was interesting though. I am a bit amazed that Ray Cronise thinks pregnancy is a path to obesity...lol. He seems really interested in habits and forming the right ones. They all kind of worship him too...which is a bit unsettling.

theLaw

yeah was pretty interesting. They did not exactly endorse sugar, but said the "sugar high" did not exist. It was interesting though. I am a bit amazed that Ray Cronise thinks pregnancy is a path to obesity...lol. He seems really interested in habits and forming the right ones. They all kind of worship him too...which is a bit unsettling.

I think that Cronise has mistaken "surviving" for "thriving", so he seeks out the minimal amounts for survival.

Hearing this episode was this was the first time I thought that Penn might actually turn on Ray at some point if his health deteriorates enough.

Tarmander

I think that Cronise has mistaken "surviving" for "thriving", so he seeks out the minimal amounts for survival.

Hearing this episode was this was the first time I thought that Penn might actually turn on Ray at some point if his health deteriorates enough.

Penn definitely did not sound great. The raspy voice is a clear give away of lowered body chi in the TCM sense. AT the same time, I kind of empathize with him and what he is trying to do. He is an atheist, and in hollywood circles...I would think that would be one of the most stressful places to be. I found him talking about his cravings really eye opening. That sense that when you start to eat something, you just cannot stop. I have to think that is from stress. I used to get that so much more then I do now, where it seems very easy to have a bite or two of ice cream and move onto something else. What do you think of the crayray guy? I don't know much about him other then cold and fasting. I will say I agree with him when he says that body urges will win eventually. That was cool

theLaw

Penn definitely did not sound great. The raspy voice is a clear give away of lowered body chi in the TCM sense. AT the same time, I kind of empathize with him and what he is trying to do. He is an atheist, and in hollywood circles...I would think that would be one of the most stressful places to be. I found him talking about his cravings really eye opening. That sense that when you start to eat something, you just cannot stop. I have to think that is from stress. I used to get that so much more then I do now, where it seems very easy to have a bite or two of ice cream and move onto something else. What do you think of the crayray guy? I don't know much about him other then cold and fasting. I will say I agree with him when he says that body urges will win eventually. That was cool

I think that Cronise is trying to do his own diet-hacking like Asprey, but is focused on a pure scientific approach. Unfortunately, I think he's working with flawed information (as Peat has stated many times about the scientific community), so he's trying to make sense of it all while having serious struggles himself.

But there's something else going on here that doesn't quite add up. Penn has talked about the reason for going on potatoes only initially as his random choice (because he said potatoes sound funny), but potatoes are an extremely nutritious food compared to something like rice, so it's pretty convenient that he would just happen to pick the most nutritious food by chance.

Penn appears to have already smelled some bull**** here, but the problem is, he doesn't have a better option at the moment. As he notes in this very podcast, this diet has vastly improved his health already.

Regina

You hit the nail on the head with "surviving" instead of "thriving." It's so rampant.
I have a "cancer survivor" friend from aikido. He had chemo from colon cancer. He's now into going into the wilderness to practice extreme adaption to cold.
I get it; he's mastered pain. That makes him feel powerful. Like a warrior.
It's virtually impossible to partner aikido with a person with this mindset.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals