Peat Friendly Jobs And Careers - Experiences And Ideas

anyfit

There's no doubt that most people spend most of their waken hours working, it is a significant part of our lives, some of us do what they love, love what they do but some of us are stuck in stress ridden environments and could use a switch.

I wanted to hear about your experiences.... and what you think about what jobs and careers could be peat friendly?

L

lollipop

Work out of home and for your own company. You control hours and work environment. I have found this the single most helpful thing for attempting a Peat inspired lifestyle.

theLaw

Work out of home and for your own company. You control hours and work environment. I have found this the single most helpful thing for attempting a Peat inspired lifestyle.

+1:darts:

There is also something to be said for the stress of just being around other metabolically compromised individuals for long periods of time.

Eventually, they will either want to know your secret, or end up resenting you for not sharing their pain.

I wish people could experience how it feels to not be a slave to a larger structure.

Luckytype

I feel like the own company thing is what chipped away at my health. Seriously, it was way too much to be continually thinking about especially in start up stages. Add in the part if you play a part in the physical or technical roles too.

I noticed a drastic difference in being able to. "shut off" at 4pm when working for a larger corporation. Much more healthy for me personally, mentally.

lampofred

I think if your thyroid/pregnenolone/dopamine/etc are in the right place, then no matter what your work is you won't get stressed out.

I think more traditional "Peaty" jobs like fruit picking are nowadays close to slavery conditions, apart from places like Hawaii where young first world people tend to work as a form of working vacation.

Work out of home and for your own company.
How do you afford your own space with a starting business?

lampofred

Really? You think so. Are you there yet?

Well aren't we all here because our metabolisms are not in the ideal place? I really wasn't trying to rile anyone up. But the reason to do all this stuff, taking thyroid, avoiding PUFA, etc is to counter the effects of a bad environment which we cannot change. If we can change the environment to be better so that we feel no stress then we won't need to avoid pufa and be OCD basically. But a stress free environment is sometimes not possible which is why getting your hormones right is the alternative way to eliminate stress.

I might have worded that poorly but I hope it makes sense.

“Our present lives are usually divided between routine work and entertainment. The entertainment is supposed to enliven us, to help us recover from the deadening effects of routine work. Some people put great energy and concentration into their hobbies, because they find the activity intrinsically interesting. Such intrinsic value and interest is what should be demanded of our work. But for many people, free time is routinized too. To them, Jarrett’s suggestion sounds like nothing but hard work. This is where the whole person has been affected by a certain approach to work, and work is seen as something to avoid – the idle rich seem to have found the only satisfactory life.”
Peat, Ray. Nutrition for Women. 1993

A problem is that if people didn’t work then you wouldn’t be able to do the things you like to do. If the auto worker doesn’t make the car then you can’t drive. If the mechanic doesn’t work, you also can’t drive unless you can fix it yourself. If you want to travel but the people who work at the airport don’t show up to work then you aren’t going anywhere unless you have a private jet. If the people who don’t grow our food don’t work then you’ll have no food unless you grow it yourself. Same thing with the clothes your wearing and the roof over your head. It’s all work. Doug Lisle said that hippies living in the commune are in for a rude awakening by about week 3.

Lolinaa

Well aren't we all here because our metabolisms are not in the ideal place? I really wasn't trying to rile anyone up. But the reason to do all this stuff, taking thyroid, avoiding PUFA, etc is to counter the effects of a bad environment which we cannot change. If we can change the environment to be better so that we feel no stress then we won't need to avoid pufa and be OCD basically. But a stress free environment is sometimes not possible which is why getting your hormones right is the alternative way to eliminate stress.

I might have worded that poorly but I hope it makes sense.

Thank you for your answer, yes I know lots of us are here for health issues.
From what I understood from your post its like a healthy person can handle any environment even the stressful ones. I wanted to know if it was your experience, because personally I would love to.
In my opinion being healthy will help you cope better but I definitely think a toxic/very stressful environment is not recommending for even a healthy person as it will drain this persons health too out and then back to square one of refixing some of the damage.
Good environment and good health give better chance for a good life.

What do you think about a sunny place such as Florida? Apart from the guns (thats America) I did find it a lovely place with nice people but I was on holidays then. They are more easy going than in New York.

Last edited:

biggirlkisss

they say if you have a business you should work part time to at least pay incase things go wr0ng. Unless you have insane capital you will have ups and downs so.

L

lollipop

I think more traditional "Peaty" jobs like fruit picking are nowadays close to slavery conditions, apart from places like Hawaii where young first world people tend to work as a form of working vacation.

How do you afford your own space with a starting business?
Wrote off 50% of my space as work. Clients came to see me, I basically have no furniture - lol. Very zen studio look. I also have an online component. Also my husband built my website, I have very few expenses - mainly income only. My website, employee, online technical expenses/services like website, calendar, conferencing, etc., I do not advertise. All this to say: super conservative with my spending. Most of my disposal goes for food and self care.

yerrag

I'd say there really are very few Peaty jobs out there, if there's any at all. The question is about jobs, and that means there has to be an employer. How can there be a Peaty job? Think about a workplace being defined by wrong sets of beliefs that isn't Peaty. Think food. Unless you cook your own food, you won't have lunch outside that isn't filled with PUFAs. If you bring your own lunch bag, you still can't avoid having some form of working lunch, or an office party, or to eat out with colleagues. Chances are, the food isn't Peaty at all. Peaty - saturated fats, sugar-laced food instead of sugar-free; collagenous food such as yeeww chicken feet, pork legs, uric acid-laced liver and kidneys; instead of steaks or pink slimey burgers; fresh green leaf salads instead of well-cooked leaves.

What health insurance do you get as part of the package? Whether it's the high-end ones (lucky enough to get hired by a company that makes tons of money like Apple or Google or Facebook) or the sinking ones (like Xerox) or just the plain old vanilla ones (low-end healthcare packages), you don't really get to see doctors who gives you Peaty advice do you? You're lucky if the doctor doesn't drive you into more dependence on pharma drugs, while you health keeps sliding down in slow mo. Yeah, like you're being put out to pasture, and into the feed lot.

You're lucky not to be in a top 500 corporation, because these corporations are always driven to spout the most politically correct flavors and soundbites, and you have to spend your workday vomiting internally. You can't be yourself, you can't say what you mean, or else you risk losing being vested in your company's benefits for your retirement.

Lucky you, if you aren't issued the "free" smartphone with the "free" plan. You can at least be off the company grid when you go home at night and on weekends. So you're not getting paid for not doing company work on your own time.

Nothing peaty about a job. Unless you work for a Peater. Or have your own business and understand what Peat is all about.

That said, all is cool. You make do with what you got.

I end up not using the company insurance, by trying hard (not easy when you're not Peaty. Still difficult when you're Peaty) not to get chronically sick. I use it still for blood tests and stuff like that, if I can.

I still go eat out with colleagues, as I don't do that often enough to make it a crisis.

What I find hard to do is to vomit internally, so I still speak my mind. And for that, I don't get to be the CEO :):

Last edited:

managing

I feel like the own company thing is what chipped away at my health. Seriously, it was way too much to be continually thinking about especially in start up stages. Add in the part if you play a part in the physical or technical roles too.

I noticed a drastic difference in being able to. "shut off" at 4pm when working for a larger corporation. Much more healthy for me personally, mentally.
Double edged sword. In the early days of my company, this was absolutely a problem. Helped tank my health. Of course, I was late 30s/early 40s so it was worst possible time.

However, 10 years later, company is mature, good people in place. It definitely still has its stresses. But it also allows me to get away for a few days and turn it off completely. And for a few weeks a year if I plan right. Also, almost never pierces the m-f 8-4 veil.

Helps also that I found RP and learned how to reduce stress through proper nutrition. Its a push me-pull you kind of thing. If you manage stress properly, any job can be Peat friendly. If you don't manage stress properly, "trust fund baby" can be a stressful job.

To be clear, I don't live a stress-free life and I don't always deal well with stress. But its like 1000x better since I discovered RP.

Last edited:

Luckytype

Double edged sword. In the early days of my company, this was absolutely a problem. Helped tank my health. Of course, I was late 30s/early 40s so it was worst possible time.

However, 10 years later, company is mature, good people in place. It definitely still has its stresses. But it also allows me to get away for a few days and turn it off completely. And for a few weeks a year if I plan right. Also, almost never pierces the m-f 8-4 veil.

Helps also that I found RP and learned how to reduce stress through proper nutrition. Its a push me-pull you kind of thing. If you manage stress properly, any job can be Peat friendly. If you don't manage stress properly, "trust fund baby" can be a stressful job.

To be clear, I don't live a stress-free life and I don't always deal well with stress. But its like 1000x better since I discovered RP.

Definitely. Part of the whole journey is learning to listen more carefully your body and to eventually learn to identify stressors but having the tool box ready to help buffer each one.

Herbie

There's no doubt that most people spend most of their waken hours working, it is a significant part of our lives, some of us do what they love, love what they do but some of us are stuck in stress ridden environments and could use a switch.

I wanted to hear about your experiences.... and what you think about what jobs and careers could be peat friendly?

41 year old guy makes $1500 - $2250 per week picking oranges in Australian Orchards.

Hours

Employers said Rick is one of the hardest workers in the Sunraysia citrus industry, regualrly working about 60 hours a week in local orchards.

Early Mornings

If you want to make money the working day starts early, very early. At the peak of the summer heat from late December on, work can start as early as 4am!

It’s definitely still dark outside, but equipped with a light the fruit picker is able to exceed and excel. Mr Barry was quoted saying “During the hot weather I probably start at 4 o’clock in the morning. I have a little head light that I use,”. *courtesy of the age

Stress Free

“It’s stress-free. You can start when you want, you can finish when you want. There’s no-one on your back,” he says.

Everyones always complaing about their job Barry says “If you’re a police officer you can get shot at, if you’re a taxi driver you can get punched. The worst thing that happens fruit pickers is that you get scratched by a tree branch, that’s pretty much it,”

“Fruit Picking is stress-free. You can start when you want, you can finish when you want. There’s no-one on your back,” he says.

Earning the Employers Respect

Reports from past employers live up to Ricks reputation “He’s a fantastic picker. And if our industry was filled with people like Rick, their would never be issues like stems in the bins, which can then puncture the fruit. He’s a fantastic clean picker, he cleans the trees and he picks good, clean fruit, that’s what you want”

The Numbers

So how much cash is our mate Rick taking home? He is paid for each bin load he picks, recently for 60 hours he worked in the week he earned $2250, that’s an average of $37.50 per hour before tax… wowie!

Rick regularly averages about $1500 a week in pay. But in bigger weeks, when the picking is at its best, his weekly pay as mentioned above can exceed $2000.

Gun Sunraysia fruit picker makes more than $2000 a week

Wrote off 50% of my space as work. Clients came to see me, I basically have no furniture - lol. Very zen studio look. I also have an online component. Also my husband built my website, I have very few expenses - mainly income only. My website, employee, online technical expenses/services like website, calendar, conferencing, etc., I do not advertise. All this to say: super conservative with my spending. Most of my disposal goes for food and self care.
This sounds awesome! You still going strong?