Peat Friendly Glutamate Reduction - Advice Needed

bdawg

Hi Guys,

As a sufferer of the milder forms of autism and ADHD and their secondary conditions, i really need to lower my glutamate consumption.

But as a bodybuilder, I need Peat-friendly protein. The problem is casein, aged cheese (not sure what this category covers), great lakes gelatin, bone broth, citric acid from OJ (not protein but staple) all contain glutamate.

I know theanine is a countermeasure, but these Peaty foods are a large part of my diet which I doubt the theanine would be able to reverse

How do I reconcile these facts?

raypeatclips

high glutamate.

Haidut talks about it a bit here. I've been thinking about glutamate a lot too recently. Almost all protein considered "good" in this health circle seems high in glutamic acid, which seems to be very similar to glutamate, but I am not quite sure about the differences. I am not sure reducing glutamate proteins is the answer, but fixing the body with something else, so they don't cause problems.

Quality

Hi Guys,

As a sufferer of the milder forms of autism and ADHD and their secondary conditions, i really need to lower my glutamate consumption.

But as a bodybuilder, I need Peat-friendly protein. The problem is casein, aged cheese (not sure what this category covers), great lakes gelatin, bone broth, citric acid from OJ (not protein but staple) all contain glutamate.

I know theanine is a countermeasure, but these Peaty foods are a large part of my diet which I doubt the theanine would be able to reverse

How do I reconcile these facts?
Hi bdawg,
As someone who suffers from Aspergers PDD-NOS myself and having a gaba-glutamergic inbalance myself I can give you a list of things I have found helpfull with this:
*NAC (powerfull and can be emotionally dulling)
*Ashwagandha (liking this one a ton, seems to shift the balance from excitatory mode to somewhat inhibitory, low doses will not be so dulling) has many other health benefits, best bang for buck imo and very safe aswell.
*B6 (cofactor in converting glutamate to gaba), dont go crazy high on the dose, can have side effects such as tingling fingers/hands, toxic in high doses

something else that could help but i have yet to try to put it to the test ( probs best start of finding a food source high in manganese instead of supplement):
* Manganese - (apparantly a cofactor in converting glutamate to gaba aswell)

general supplements you should have benefits from:
* Nicotinamide riboside (works like recovery from physical exercise in a pill to me - expensive) - makes my day far better on average, easier to cope with daily ***t and stubborn people.
* D3 2000-10000iu depending IF and if so how badly depleted you could be
* Magnesium bisglycinate (for sound sleep)
* Magnesiumoil (spray) - works wonders, im not much of a coffee fan, but if i ever have a caffeine crash with neck pain, throbbing area behind ears or temples on forehead, this works wonders, byebye to these pains within 15mins often faster.
* Zinc 10-25mg (depending how much you get through diet)

Also what makes you think you having glutamate overload? irritability? anxiety?

OP
B

bdawg

high glutamate.

Haidut talks about it a bit here. I've been thinking about glutamate a lot too recently. Almost all protein considered "good" in this health circle seems high in glutamic acid, which seems to be very similar to glutamate, but I am not quite sure about the differences. I am not sure reducing glutamate proteins is the answer, but fixing the body with something else, so they don't cause problems.

Agreed, it might be due to not having a biological mechanism to nullify the glutamate... but in that case more dietary glutamate certainly wont help. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/dm/2013/536521/abs/

@Quality, my social anxiety and the fact that GABA agonism via low dose alcohol almost nullifies the SA which leads me to believe that this is what glutamate/gaba harmony looks like. Also, a reliable post-MSG consumption anxiety rise. I suspect that a generally heavy glutamate diet for a long time (whey protein, processed food) might be promoting the symptoms of glutamic overload such as general anxiety and depression in people with a natural susceptibility/underworking natural balancing systems.

A few questions

Is there difference in efficacy between mag oil and oral mag tablets (oxide)?

Why NAC?

And for ashwagandha, despite its positive profile I dont want to risk reduced androstenedione to testosterone conversion: https://endo.confex.com/endo/2013endo/webprogram/Paper7309.html

Everything else in there I'm covered for

chispas

If you read The End of Stress by Don Joseph Goeway, he explains how glycine and taurine inhibit glutamates.

Quality

Agreed, it might be due to not having a biological mechanism to nullify the glutamate... but in that case more dietary glutamate certainly wont help. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/dm/2013/536521/abs/

@Quality, my social anxiety and the fact that GABA agonism via low dose alcohol almost nullifies the SA which leads me to believe that this is what glutamate/gaba harmony looks like. Also, a reliable post-MSG consumption anxiety rise. I suspect that a generally heavy glutamate diet for a long time (whey protein, processed food) might be promoting the symptoms of glutamic overload such as general anxiety and depression in people with a natural susceptibility/underworking natural balancing systems.

A few questions

Is there difference in efficacy between mag oil and oral mag tablets (oxide)?

Why NAC?

And for ashwagandha, despite its positive profile I dont want to risk reduced androstenedione to testosterone conversion: https://endo.confex.com/endo/2013endo/webprogram/Paper7309.html

Everything else in there I'm covered for
Huge difference in magnesium oxide and magnesium oil, you can literally FEEL it start to work, very relaxing, magnesium oxide is pure bunk, look it up bad absorbtion for one.
NAC balances out the glutamate system, theres lots of information about it look it up on pubmed ( early morning here cba to post links atm)
About ashwagandha, it is known to RAISE testosterone.
What you posted is a CASE study in ONE FEMALE, cant draw conclusions from those kind of papers, suggest you try it, you might be positively surprised, its one of those herbs I never stopped re-ordering, go for the KSM-66 standardized one (jarrow/swanson ive been using).
One thing I forgot to mention, I have been using ashwagandha so long (years), its never lost its effectiviness for me, Im blown away by the stuff tbh.

Ahanu

magnesium oxide is pure bunk, look it up bad absorbtion for one.

I think that poor absorbtion of M- Oxid was because of:
However recent analysis of these findings may be pointing towards a different picture: magnesium oxide may simply stay in our gut longer, meaning it enters our system long after the times typically used to measure its absorption."

From my ownn experience i would take Magnesium Chlorid and that oraly. Transdermal had never the effect for me as oraly had.

Quality

I think that poor absorbtion of M- Oxid was because of:
However recent analysis of these findings may be pointing towards a different picture: magnesium oxide may simply stay in our gut longer, meaning it enters our system long after the times typically used to measure its absorption."

From my ownn experience i would take Magnesium Chlorid and that oraly. Transdermal had never the effect for me as oraly had.

This is the magnesiumoil I have been using for last 2 years, which is magnesium chloride aswell.
Dont tell me you have been ingesting this? im sure its not supposed to be taken that way...
Health and Wisdom Inc., Magnesium Oil, 16 fl oz (473 ml)

Ahanu

This is the magnesiumoil I have been using for last 2 years, which is magnesium chloride aswell.
Dont tell me you have been ingesting this? im sure its not supposed to be taken that way...
Health and Wisdom Inc., Magnesium Oil, 16 fl oz (473 ml)
Its ingredients says Magnesium Chlorid USP. I don't know what USP means. I take Magnesium Chlorid Pharma quality which is even purer than food quality. Have you never tried Mg Chlorid oraly?

Quality

Topic starter obviously refering to L-Glutamine content in food.

Quality

Its ingredients says Magnesium Chlorid USP. I don't know what USP means. I take Magnesium Chlorid Pharma quality which is even purer than food quality. Have you never tried Mg Chlorid oraly?
No, as stated I use TRANSDERMAL magnesium, click on the product that I linked you, thats what I use. its meant for topical use though it does say can brush teeth with it.
Id personally never stick it on my mouth, if you have lets say just shaven and you rub it on your face it will feel like your face is on fire. No way im ingesting it... not what its meant for anyway, playing with fire imo...
Anyway this is getting more and more off topic, think the OP wants some help on how to control glutamate in the brain.

golder

Huge difference in magnesium oxide and magnesium oil, you can literally FEEL it start to work, very relaxing, magnesium oxide is pure bunk, look it up bad absorbtion for one.
NAC balances out the glutamate system, theres lots of information about it look it up on pubmed ( early morning here cba to post links atm)
About ashwagandha, it is known to RAISE testosterone.
What you posted is a CASE study in ONE FEMALE, cant draw conclusions from those kind of papers, suggest you try it, you might be positively surprised, its one of those herbs I never stopped re-ordering, go for the KSM-66 standardized one (jarrow/swanson ive been using).
One thing I forgot to mention, I have been using ashwagandha so long (years), its never lost its effectiviness for me, Im blown away by the stuff tbh.

Can you link your ashwaganda source?

golder

Anyone got any further help with regards to lowering glutamate? Thanks!

Momentum

LOL - literally popped over here today to see about "lowering glutamate", which I've been researching recently due to a horrible headache.
Wondering if anyone has considered that autism is either directly or indirectly KPU/PKU? The symptoms are similar.
But I was mainly thinking about this because low zinc and B6 are the big culprits in KPU/PKU as well as low manganese. There is at least one published study showing that people with autism consistently have higher than healthy control levels of glutamate.

If B6 levels are appropriate, a person supposedly will not react to glutamate. Since nutrients are rarely measured, or measured correctly, just wondering if if low B6 is the culprit?

As far as all the above posts, I've seen all of those things listed to help lower glutamate. That being said, IIRC NAC may be counter indicated depending on one's MTHFR status.

There is a device approved to treat migraine. It's a vagus nerve stimulator, but they say they believe it works by lowering glutamate. I'd love to know the frequencies it runs on :): gammaCore (nVNS): Non-Drug Relief for Migraine & Cluster Headache Pain I hear it works very well.

golder

Thanks mate. Have zinc and b6 helped reduce your glutamate? anything else you’ve found helped?

Momentum

I've been waiting for over a month for my new doctor to order labs, so I haven't started on zinc or B's yet.
Also, waiting on DNA results for MTHFR information. Blood work should happen soon, and I'll start in on B6 P5P, B1, and zinc. Then wait for mthfr before adding in other things.

golder

Fingers crossed for some good progress for you mate. Keep us all posted please!

DonLore

Magnesium, glycine from collagen, B-vitamins, avoiding gabaergic drugs, curcumin, other spices, biotin and VitK2 are what I have heard are important for gaba/glutamate.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals