Pastured Eggs Pufa

kateb

does anyone know pufa content of pastured eggs? They are marketed as high omega 3 which I just realized is a pufa. They only have 1.5g of sat fat out of 5g but they other 3.5g is unspecified. I know nutritional content generally outweighs this but trying to limit pufa intake a lot right now.

milk_lover

I would call the company and ask what they feed the chickens. I think they use soya or flaxseed to increase omega 3.. I am not a big fan of eggs but some eggs in our lives wouldn't hurt.

Djukami

I would call the company and ask what they feed the chickens.
I think that's the best thing to do and hope they are also nice people. Not all of them likes to answer specific questions for whatever reason.
I was buying some organic eggs convinced they were pastured. Then I asked their diet and how they were treated: "They walk freely outside. Their diets consists of a ration of organic foods: corn, wheat and other grains. But they are alll organic!" . I was like, wow, they are all organic, nice... I bet there is soy in their ration :/
I also discovered they vaccinated their hens against Salmonella.
I was so damn disappointed... That moment when you think "Hey, look at me, paying extra money, but I'm so healthy, because I'm eating organic foods". Not...

TeaRex14

Old thread, but just for future referencing to any curious people the PUFA content, even in pastured eggs, can vary. Without conducting tests individually it would be impossible to know for sure the exact amount. That's because the hen's diet, and their egg sizes, play a critical role here. Hen's feed a 100% insect based diet that produce smaller eggs will have close to negligible amounts of PUFA in them, around 0.3 grams, possibly lower. More normal sized eggs would be around 0.4 to 0.5 grams. Jumbo sized eggs from your standard grocery store typically have up to 1-1.2 grams of PUFA in them. But that's largely due to the crappy diet and the size of the egg. Either way, eggs are so nutritious it's probably better to just take vitamin E and aspirin and not worry so much about being 'PUFA deficient". PUFA deficiency is more impractical then just taking vitamin E and aspirin, which together block most of the harmful effects of PUFA. As long as your PUFA intake is somewhere in that 2% to 3% of total caloric value then you're already doing better then 99% of the human population.