New Serious Attempt With Niacinamide. Help Needed Badly

Simba1992

I have rheumathoid arthritis and doing my best to find ways to decrease pain and stiffness and also understand what it's all about. I have been Peating now since July, taking progest-E, B-complex, VitA 25,000, Vit.D3, Kuinone, oxidal, selenium, trying to drink milk, lots of OJ aspirine and coconut oil. LDN and no gluten. This regime has helped with energy and symptoms of hypothyroidism but I have not found anything ground breaking for pain and stiffness so after reading Haiduts post on Niacinamide treatment on mice, and the reversal of dysfunctional glucose metabolism and after reading Dr. Kaufmans good results wanted to try the protocol.
For a month now have been trying to get to the therapeutic dose of 4000mg I still find I get nausea after 2500mg. I am taking 500mg spread out along day.Now recently I read that taking 250mg doses 10+ times had in fact 40-50% better effect!
Would appreciate very much to hear your thoughts and if any of you have tried this treatment for RA. And if any of you have thoughts on why the stiffness accumulates during tha night in RA. Is it because of the low cortisol, and the inability to get rid of debris caused by inflammation? Does this tell me that in fact Peating has not as of yet normalized my glucose metabolism and that there still is not enough energy?I DO need help and feel I'm sort of stuck:( Would be so very thankful for any help.

AJA

My understanding when I read a lot of his research is that Kaufman used frequent and relatively small doses of Niacinimide with good results. Maybe try lower doses every hour or so.

Last edited:
OP
S

Simba1992

My understanding when I read a lot of his research is that Kaufman used frequent and relatively small doses of Niacinimide with good results. Maybe try lower doses every hour or so.
That's what I thought I would do. Thank you.

OP
S

Simba1992

Found a really informative book on amazon. " Niacin The Real Story" Abram Hoffer. M.D., Ph.D.

Ania

What stopped my RA after almost 20 years of suffering was total elimination of dairy. I discovered by chance that I was dairy intolerant. I confirmed it by 3 provocations. Later on I found many similar stories on the net. Niacynamide did nothing to help my RA. I am not happy, that I cannot have milk, cheese etc, but i feel like a human being again. It doesn't have to be the same with you, but I think it is worth trying for 1 month.

OP
S

Simba1992

What stopped my RA after almost 20 years of suffering was total elimination of dairy. I discovered by chance that I was dairy intolerant. I confirmed it by 3 provocations. Later on I found many similar stories on the net. Niacynamide did nothing to help my RA. I am not happy, that I cannot have milk, cheese etc, but i feel like a human being again. It doesn't have to be the same with you, but I think it is worth trying for 1 month.

Thank you for your reply. I have such a hard time thinking it was the case with me, since I find dairy to be so essential in my diet. I don't feel anything peculiar in my stomach when eating dairy. Did you try Kaufmans protocol? What was your daily dose? How long did you try? Thank you appreciate your help.

Ania

No. I didn't try this protocol, but I tried with as much as 3000 mg daily in devided doses. I didn' t feel anything suspicious in my stomach neither. No digestive issues. It was difficult to identify, because RA symptoms occured after 3 days from consumption. If i hadn't aliminated dairy for just completely different experiment, I would have never discovered it and I would probably still be suffering. Do some search for " milk and RA". You will find a lot of info. Believe me, life without pain is worth a short trial. I miss dairy a lot, but my attacs were so excruciating, that I never looked back.

tara

I have such a hard time thinking it was the case with me, since I find dairy to be so essential in my diet. I don't feel anything peculiar in my stomach when eating dairy.
I don't have RA, but I can confirm that I too get other trouble with milk (usually delayed) but no digestive symptoms.
I too found it very difficult to imagine giving it up, and felt like I'd starve. For some people it's the lactose, but for others - me I think - the proteins are trouble, and maybe also fermentation products in yogurts and cheeses.
(I struggle to maintain complete avoidance, but may be better if I did.)

OP
S

Simba1992

I don't have RA, but I can confirm that I too get other trouble with milk (usually delayed) but no digestive symptoms.
I too found it very difficult to imagine giving it up, and felt like I'd starve. For some people it's the lactose, but for others - me I think - the proteins are trouble, and maybe also fermentation products in yogurts and cheeses.
(I struggle to maintain complete avoidance, but may be better if I did.)

Thank you for your reply. Yes I think I would probably starve since gluten and grains also a no no. I've noticed a reaction to youghurt. Had my lactose tested, the problem maybe the protein as you say (?)But what in the world do you eat?!

OP
S

Simba1992

No. I didn't try this protocol, but I tried with as much as 3000 mg daily in devided doses. I didn' t feel anything suspicious in my stomach neither. No digestive issues. It was difficult to identify, because RA symptoms occured after 3 days from consumption. If i hadn't aliminated dairy for just completely different experiment, I would have never discovered it and I would probably still be suffering. Do some search for " milk and RA". You will find a lot of info. Believe me, life without pain is worth a short trial. I miss dairy a lot, but my attacs were so excruciating, that I never looked back.

Thank you. Yes I have read all there is to read and was hoping like Peat said, that when you get your metabolic rate up you may tolerate milk better. So maybe not.. But for how long did you try the niacinamide? I understood it would take 6weeks to kick in ?

opiath

I just want to warn you that high doses of niacinamide are going to shut down your methylation and deplete methyl donors.
This will prevent breakdown of adrenaline, estrogen and histamine and also lead to endothelial dysfunction.
If your estrogen builds up, your RA will feel better because estrogen = ceruloplasmin and ceruloplasmin protects from arthritis, but estrogen slows your metabolism.
Body can only afford to raise estrogen (ceruloplasmin) without negative consequences when your metabolism is high.

tara

Thank you for your reply. Yes I think I would probably starve since gluten and grains also a no no. I've noticed a reaction to youghurt. Had my lactose tested, the problem maybe the protein as you say (?)But what in the world do you eat?!

I had a long period trying to avoid dairy, gluten and sugar. I often under-ate when I was out and did not have access to a kitchen, or was under too much time pressure, and it was a real problem. I was eating non-gluten grains, though.

These days, I seldom get that much hunger stress.
I eat quite a bit of potatoes, and sometimes other roots and tubers for variety, eggs, meat, fish, shellfish, liver etc gelatine, vegetables, fruit (fresh and sometimes dried), juice, and some grains (rice, oat porridge, sometimes others). I cook mostly with coconut oil. Maybe other things I've forgotten to mention.
I do eat a little butter from time to time, and it's possible I'd do better replacing that fully with coconut and la little olive oil. I also sometimes have a little milk out of convenience/compulsion/lack of energy to resist, but I don't think it serves me well.
I also eat a little wheat these days, mostly as long-leavened bread to improve digestibility (and flavour). Possibly that has downsides, but so does chronic hunger. If I decided to quit this, and had time, I might go back to making buckwheat pancakes or something.
I'm also more relaxed about having some more refined sugar these days, though better if it's not too much for the sake of the missing minerals.

[edit to add:]I figure without the milk and cheese, I need to be getting calcium from other sources, which means either a lot of greens or supplements. I eat a little greens and do supplement.

David PS

After about the age of 55, I developed morning stiffness in my fingers. The stiffness developed during the night and I would wake up with fingers that felt swollen and moved like claws; but there was no swelling. The stiffness would dissipate to a more comfortable level within an hour or so of moving my fingers. I thought it was RA, but it was a reaction to eating nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes and peppers). After a few weeks of avoiding nightshades, the stiffness disappeared completely. It returns 3-4 days after I start eating nightshades again.

I wrote about it here - Nightshades

Avoiding nightshades for a few weeks won't have any of the unintended physiological symptoms associated with drugs or megadosing vitamins. Not eating nightshades is inconvenient, but it works for me.

Ania

Thank you. Yes I have read all there is to read and was hoping like Peat said, that when you get your metabolic rate up you may tolerate milk better. So maybe not.. But for how long did you try the niacinamide? I understood it would take 6weeks to kick in ?
I took niacynamide for a long period, I think, about a year, but megadosing was only for a few weeks. I still take it from time to time. It is well established, that many cases of RA are caused by food intolerances. It doesn't have to be milk, but it is one of frequent offenders. For David PS these were nightshades. There is a great book by prof. Jonathan Brostoff from Kings College in London : "The Complete Guide fo Food Allergy and Intolerance". The guy is a prof of allergy and immunology and he researched food intolerances through his whole life.
My mother suffered from RA for years, much longer than I did. Even though she new about my milk intolernce, she herself refused to give up dairy even for short period of time. Finally, her laryngologist told her to go dairy free for 3 months. She stopped in August this year and she is pain free first time in decades. This must be running in the family. Although my 15 yo son has no problem with it. My problems started whrn I was 18.

OP
S

Simba1992

Thank you Ania for your reply. Finding out what triggers your inflammarion feels to be such an overwhelming task! I was on AIP for 1,5 years. Dairy was cut out but not meat. Worked really well in the beginning then backfired. Perhaps trying to cut down the meat and the dairy once again would help. Will just have to go on trying :banghead: All the best, Simba PS. Thank you for the link, will get the book!

OP
S

Simba1992

I had a long period trying to avoid dairy, gluten and sugar. I often under-ate when I was out and did not have access to a kitchen, or was under too much time pressure, and it was a real problem. I was eating non-gluten grains, though.

These days, I seldom get that much hunger stress.
I eat quite a bit of potatoes, and sometimes other roots and tubers for variety, eggs, meat, fish, shellfish, liver etc gelatine, vegetables, fruit (fresh and sometimes dried), juice, and some grains (rice, oat porridge, sometimes others). I cook mostly with coconut oil. Maybe other things I've forgotten to mention.
I do eat a little butter from time to time, and it's possible I'd do better replacing that fully with coconut and la little olive oil. I also sometimes have a little milk out of convenience/compulsion/lack of energy to resist, but I don't think it serves me well.
I also eat a little wheat these days, mostly as long-leavened bread to improve digestibility (and flavour). Possibly that has downsides, but so does chronic hunger. If I decided to quit this, and had time, I might go back to making buckwheat pancakes or something.
I'm also more relaxed about having some more refined sugar these days, though better if it's not too much for the sake of the missing minerals.

[edit to add:]I figure without the milk and cheese, I need to be getting calcium from other sources, which means either a lot of greens or supplements. I eat a little greens and do supplement.

Thank you. I think I just need to take a break from dairy again and see for a month.:shifty: I wish somebody would just make all this food for me that I need! It's such a chore... Wishing you well. Simba

Ania

Good luck. I hope you'll find your way. It is a pity that doctors are useless. They only give precriptions without even thinking about other options to try.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals