Magnesium, Too Much?

mamaherrera

I had a doctor tell me to take 1000mg of magnesium at once time because he said I was deficient.Currently I've been taking 800. Now i"ve read lately that a woman should not take more than 350 mg of magnesium glycinate a day because it can be toxic or harm kidneys. The problem is my capsule come in 400mg. What do you all think?

MB50

1g seems ok if you're not having any stomach issues with it.

Iv had really good success lately with magnesium supplementation. I split about 400-600mg magnesium glycinate throughout the day, along with about 130mg magnesium threonate at night. Threonate seems to have a unique ability to enter the brain.

Taking magnesium with A meal high in phytates or oxalates also seems to inhibit absorption.

OP
M

mamaherrera

And in cronometer from diet what amount would i be looking for? And then on top of that, how much supplementation? I was told mag should be 2 to 1 ratio but from here i am seeing it should be reverse, so more calcium.

Pointless

2:1 ratio of magnesium:calcium is not very much calcium. We like our calcium, for sure. Ray Peat has said that magnesium deficiency should be remedied by increasing thyroid dose slowly until hypothyroidism resolves. I don't know what your temp, pulse, and TSH are at, but that should be accounted for first. I've never heard of kidney problems from too much magnesium, but the dose you're using should not be too much as long as it is temporary. The big sign of too much magnesium is loose stools. Ray Peat has also mentioned hemorrhoids as a magnesium side effect. It's tough to overdose on oral magnesium because of that problem. If you're using topical, you might crash cortisol and have tiredness or inflammation.

Mito

And in cronometer from diet what amount would i be looking for? And then on top of that, how much supplementation? I was told mag should be 2 to 1 ratio but from here i am seeing it should be reverse, so more calcium.
The average basis for good magnesium cellular saturation is between 7 mg – 10 mg per kilogram (475-680 mg for 150 lb person) daily. The Requirement of Magnesium by the Normal Adult
If you're magnesium deficient I think up to 14 mg per kilogram is fine.

OP
M

mamaherrera

so if I weigh 116 pounds, 400mg a day in supplementation should be fine? I get a bit worried, and yet I don't have loose stools and now i"ve begun a calcium carbonate supplement, (500mg) so that should alter the effects of the mag as well. right?

Mito

so if I weigh 116 pounds, 400mg a day in supplementation should be fine? I get a bit worried, and yet I don't have loose stools and now i"ve begun a calcium carbonate supplement, (500mg) so that should alter the effects of the mag as well. right?
If you are truly magnesium deficient, you may want to consider 10-14 mg per kilogram of body weight until the deficiency is corrected. However as Pointless noted, Ray says that you need adequate thyroid for the cells to take up the magnesium. Intercellular magnesium is what really matters.

yerrag

I think it's not the magnesium cation that would harm the kidneys, but the choice of anion to go with the magnesium. Organic anions such as carbonates, bicarbonates, acetates, and gluconates aren't going to turn acidic and are safe to go with as they metabolize easily into H2O and CO2. Chelated anions are relatively neutral such as glycinates and threonates. But inorganic anions such as chloride and sulfates and phosphates are highly acidic, and the acid load from using these forms require the liver and kidneys to work more to achieve acid-base balance.

In the case of organic anions, I wouldn't use gluconates only because they are high molecular weight anions, and I end up taking much more gluconates than magnesium. Chelated anions are also high molecular weight but at least the glycinates are good for the liver, and threonates for the brain.

Magnesium acetate is easy to prepare from magnesium carbonate and acetic acid. Magnesium bicarbonate requires mixing seltzer/carbonated water with magnesium hydroxide, but it's only with your own carbonator are you able to make the magnesium hydroxide react fully to form magnesium bicarbonate. I find that magnesium bicarbonate is extremely helpful for me, as I currently suffer from highly acidic blood/ecf, and it helps a lot. I urinate less and I get more sleep using magnesium bicarbonate. I find it worthwhile to make my own mag bicarbonate. It's more effective than magnesium carbonate by a magnitude. The danger with too much bicarbonate is that it creates a metabolic alkalotic condition. But with a urine pH test strip on hand, one can easily find the appropriate daily intake to not overdose on bicarbonates.