Magnesium Ascorbate - So Easy To Make With Mg(OH)2 And Ascorbic Acid

yerrag

If you are needing to take in both ascorbic acid as well as magnesium, but need much more ascorbic acid than magnesium, as in my case, you might consider taking magnesium ascorbate. Instead of buying magnesium ascorbate, you can just mix magnesium hydroxide and ascorbic acid to make magnesium ascorbate.

Before I find this out, I was taking in magnesium bicarbonate water, which I make by mixing carbonated water with magnesium hydroxide (plus shaking a lot), and I was also taking ascorbic acid (aka vitamin C) in water solution. This was more complicated as I was having to make my own DIY magbi water. I also seem to notice that I might be ingesting too much bicarbonates, which I suspect, but in the midst of confirming, is causing a lot of urination, again (Yes, I had complained about taking too much magnesium chloride causing me to urinate a lot - due to the accumulated acidic load, which the kidney had to excrete through urination). I'm thinking that too much base intake through bicarbonates could cause the same thing.

I simply mixed ascorbic acid and magnesium hydroxide in water in the ratio of 7:1.16 to produce a clear solution of magnesium ascorbate. The tartness of ascorbic acid is gone, and the taste is flat but tolerable. Magnesium ascorbate is only 6 percent magnesium though, so it isn't for everybody. But was perfect for my needs, since I'm needing to take plenty of vitamin C, much more than magnesium, and it just so happens the ratio suits my needs.

The downside to not taking vitamin C as ascorbic acid is that with ascorbic acid, there are 2 hydrogen ions available to do vitamin's anti-oxidant/pro-oxidant roles, while with ascorbate there is only 1 hydrogen ion available. I have to double my use of ascorbic acid when converting it to an ascorbate form.

The reaction:

2 C6H8O6 + Mg(OH)2 = C12H14MgO12 + 2H2O

I really don't know how effective magnesium ascorbate is, as I've been using it for a day. I'm now just trying to see if without the bicarbonate form of magnesium, I could see less urination. I'll have to wait at least 3 days to let the putative excess bicarbonates excrete through the kidneys with urine excretion.

@Travis what do you think?

ddjd

If you are needing to take in both ascorbic acid as well as magnesium, but need much more ascorbic acid than magnesium, as in my case, you might consider taking magnesium ascorbate. Instead of buying magnesium ascorbate, you can just mix magnesium hydroxide and ascorbic acid to make magnesium ascorbate.

Before I find this out, I was taking in magnesium bicarbonate water, which I make by mixing carbonated water with magnesium hydroxide (plus shaking a lot), and I was also taking ascorbic acid (aka vitamin C) in water solution. This was more complicated as I was having to make my own DIY magbi water. I also seem to notice that I might be ingesting too much bicarbonates, which I suspect, but in the midst of confirming, is causing a lot of urination, again (Yes, I had complained about taking too much magnesium chloride causing me to urinate a lot - due to the accumulated acidic load, which the kidney had to excrete through urination). I'm thinking that too much base intake through bicarbonates could cause the same thing.

I simply mixed ascorbic acid and magnesium hydroxide in water in the ratio of 7:1.16 to produce a clear solution of magnesium ascorbate. The tartness of ascorbic acid is gone, and the taste is flat but tolerable. Magnesium ascorbate is only 6 percent magnesium though, so it isn't for everybody. But was perfect for my needs, since I'm needing to take plenty of vitamin C, much more than magnesium, and it just so happens the ratio suits my needs.

The downside to not taking vitamin C as ascorbic acid is that with ascorbic acid, there are 2 hydrogen ions available to do vitamin's anti-oxidant/pro-oxidant roles, while with ascorbate there is only 1 hydrogen ion available. I have to double my use of ascorbic acid when converting it to an ascorbate form.

The reaction:

2 C6H8O6 + Mg(OH)2 = C12H14MgO12 + 2H2O

I really don't know how effective magnesium ascorbate is, as I've been using it for a day. I'm now just trying to see if without the bicarbonate form of magnesium, I could see less urination. I'll have to wait at least 3 days to let the putative excess bicarbonates excrete through the kidneys with urine excretion.

@Travis what do you think?
Interesting post.

I'm currently experimenting with homemade magnesium ascorbate but I'm using magnesium carbonate powder, not hydroxide like yourself.

So far so good. Really noticing positive effects.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Interesting post.

I'm currently experimenting with homemade magnesium ascorbate but I'm using magnesium carbonate powder, not hydroxide like yourself.

That is a better way actually. Magnesium carbonate is much easier to find.

ddjd

One thing I've noticed, it feels like a very androgenic effect, almost like a testosterone boost....I started wanting to do push ups lol. Haven't done 10 push ups in years😆😆

OP
yerrag

yerrag

One thing I've noticed, it feels like a very androgenic effect, almost like a testosterone boost....I started wanting to do push ups lol. Haven't done 10 push ups in years😆😆
May be magnesium-ATP.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Interesting post.

Magnesium carbonate does not react fully with ascorbic acid.

What you had was simply magnesium carbonate and ascorbic acid in water.

The way you know is that you didn't drink a clear solution. A clear solution indicates the reactants reacted fully when you had them react using stoichiometric amounts.

See below from webqc.org's chemical equation balancer:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230211-093005599.jpg
    Screenshot_20230211-093005599.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 29
OP
yerrag

yerrag

That said, there is no reason for me to doubt that you felt better, even if the mag carb failed to react with the ascorbic acid.

You still had magnesium in a form Ray Peat recommends. And you had ascorbic acid.

In fact, I may just use your formula, mix the magnesium carb I need for the day with the ascorbic acid I need for the day, in dry form, and then over the day, get an amount that is equivalent to 500mg of ascorbic acid in the mix each time, and mix in water, and drink it.

As I understand it, 500mg ascorbic acid is the limit the gut will absorb at any given time. The excess will just go thru the gut and be excreted.

In my case, I needed a daily 1000mg of elemental magnesium and 6000mg of ascorbic acid. This translates to 3500mg of magnesium bicarbonate and 6000mg of ascorbic acid.

Mixed together, I will have 9500mg. Divided by 12 (to get 500mg ascorbic acid each time), I will have roughly 800mg of the mixture each time.

This portion will be mixed in a half cup of water and taken away from meals, in order to keep glucose from competing with ascorbic acid in being absorbed by cells.

Now to figure out how I would not.be so inconvenienced by taking 12 portion away from meals.

RealNeat

How are we justifying taking AA with all the negative things Ray has said about it? And it's not just Rays word, most AA is actually contaminated.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

How are we justifying taking AA with all the negative things Ray has said about it? And it's not just Rays word, most AA is actually contaminated.
I use the Quali-C brand, which is very low in lead contamination. And.I need it together with magnesium to see if it really can help deal with lead coming out of my deeper vessel plaque layers so it does not recirculate back into the tissues as they are said to make the lead excrete out with urine.

The benefit here far outweighs the risk of AA intake, which is very much predicated on the lead content of most grades.

Furthemore, this is a therapeutic use of.AA and.not a lifestyle use of AA, which as an antioxidant may interfere with the oxidative processes of our body needed for energy production or for protection from pathogenic microbes.

A.R

Interesting post.

What dosages are you using for each? Do you use a scale to measure?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Are you saying the ascorbic acid is helping the magnesium convert to ATP?
To better explain it, I'll quote Chris Masterjohn:

The basic energy currency of the cell is ATP. Under typical conditions, 90% of ATP is complexed with magnesium, and the magnesium-ATP complex is what enzymes use for energy. So when we say “ATP” fuels something, we always mean magnesium-ATP.