Magnesium Acetate

inthedark

Some people here might be familiar with F**k Portion Control, a blog and now book written by -I think?- a forum member. Anyway there's a post about making sodium acetate as a highly usable and helpful for of sodium. Not sure I'm allowed to post links but here it is:
The Cure for SIBO (and other conditions)

I've used a similar technique to make magnesium acetate from magnesium chloride and vinegar. The reaction takes longer (overnight preferably) but I love the taste of the stuff. Anyway, does anyone know anything about this form of magnesium? I googled around a bit and found an article which I seem to have now lost that touted its benefits as an apparently highly absorbable form of magnesium, but I'm looking for any other input or info from people here. Thanks!

managing

Some people here might be familiar with F**k Portion Control, a blog and now book written by -I think?- a forum member. Anyway there's a post about making sodium acetate as a highly usable and helpful for of sodium. Not sure I'm allowed to post links but here it is:
The Cure for SIBO (and other conditions)

I've used a similar technique to make magnesium acetate from magnesium chloride and vinegar. The reaction takes longer (overnight preferably) but I love the taste of the stuff. Anyway, does anyone know anything about this form of magnesium? I googled around a bit and found an article which I seem to have now lost that touted its benefits as an apparently highly absorbable form of magnesium, but I'm looking for any other input or info from people here. Thanks!
I made mag acetate from mag carbonate + vinegar. Put me to sleep hard.

I find that the sodium acetate made same way but w/ baking soda makes me feel superhuman. I still don't understand what it is about it that would cure SIBO though. And he doesn't specify. I take it between meals, which he says is a no-no though . . .

OP
I

inthedark

I made mag acetate from mag carbonate + vinegar. Put me to sleep hard.

I find that the sodium acetate made same way but w/ baking soda makes me feel superhuman. I still don't understand what it is about it that would cure SIBO though. And he doesn't specify. I take it between meals, which he says is a no-no though . . .

Yeah I don't understand that either, maybe same antibacterial properties as vinegar. Mostly though I like this because it makes it relatively easy to get a decent amount of sodium in. And I figured this could be an easy to use and cost effective way to get absorbable magnesium

managing

Yeah I don't understand that either, maybe same antibacterial properties as vinegar. Mostly though I like this because it makes it relatively easy to get a decent amount of sodium in. And I figured this could be an easy to use and cost effective way to get absorbable magnesium
There is a thread going also about balancing calcium with magnesium. I think there is logic in it and it appears to keep it from being so bowel stimulatory. Might also keep it from putting me to sleep. But I don't plan on trying it in immediate future.

Mossy

Making magnesium acetate has peaked my interest. I don’t seem to do well long-term on magnesium supplements, but maybe making it an acetate may be helpful.

I have powder magnesium orotate and magnesium hydroxide, pill form of magnesium citrate, and liquid magnesium chloride. I do see that the easiest may be using magnesium carbonate, but I don’t have that. I do have calcium carbonate. So maybe that can be added.

Should I have any success I’ll report back.

P.S. Opinions, suggestions, and advice are welcome.

yerrag

I've come back to using it just recently. When I used it in the past, it lowered my blood pressure but I stopped it so there wasn't enough time to fully evaluate it.

I also experienced a lot of urination using magnesium bicarbonate so I'm now back to this. Will see if it reduces my urination frequency and if it lowers my blood pressure. I think that as a weak acid acetate won't alter my acid-base balance and its antibacterial effect may help deal with some bacteria in my system. I don't know if the acetate has an anti-inflammatory effect, and if so, I should see the effect in terms of lower blood pressure.

If this fails, I'll also try mangesium succinate. Succinic acid is also a weak acid.

They are both easy to make. Mag Carbonate + Acid, acid being acetic or succinic acid.

Mossy

I've come back to using it just recently. When I used it in the past, it lowered my blood pressure but I stopped it so there wasn't enough time to fully evaluate it.

I also experienced a lot of urination using magnesium bicarbonate so I'm now back to this. Will see if it reduces my urination frequency and if it lowers my blood pressure. I think that as a weak acid acetate won't alter my acid-base balance and its antibacterial effect may help deal with some bacteria in my system. I don't know if the acetate has an anti-inflammatory effect, and if so, I should see the effect in terms of lower blood pressure.

If this fails, I'll also try mangesium succinate. Succinic acid is also a weak acid.

They are both easy to make. Mag Carbonate + Acid, acid being acetic or succinic acid.
Interesting. Maybe the bicarbonate is a problem for me as well. I hate the feeling of low blood pressure, which I first experienced at the onset of my health decline—like many on this forum. That must be what I had experienced as well with magnesium bicarbonate. It gives me crushing fatigue and over all malaise. I also feel bad when supplementing straight bicarbonate. I have yet to venture into the acetate version. succinic acid sounds interesting as well.

yerrag

Interesting. Maybe the bicarbonate is a problem for me as well. I hate the feeling of low blood pressure, which I first experienced at the onset of my health decline—like many on this forum. That must be what I had experienced as well with magnesium bicarbonate. It gives me crushing fatigue and over all malaise. I also feel bad when supplementing straight bicarbonate. I have yet to venture into the acetate version. succinic acid sounds interesting as well.
I should have worded it differently, but using mag acetate seemed to have lowered my BP, and for me it's a good thing as I have high BP.

Mossy

I should have worded it differently, but using mag acetate seemed to have lowered my BP, and for me it's a good thing as I have high BP.
Ah, I see. It was what you were looking to do. Thanks for clarifying. I’ll be cautious of that with acetate, then. If it is anything like mag bicarb, for me, I’ll have to drop it.

cjm

I've used a similar technique to make magnesium acetate from magnesium chloride and vinegar. The reaction takes longer (overnight preferably)

Is the solution completely clear in the morning? I'm wondering if you can get away with, i.e., not get any side effects like indigestion from, a shorter reaction time. I needed magnesium immediately so I made the acetate mix and consumed it within 5 minutes. Thinking out loud: vinegar seems like a stronger acid than CO2, and the magnesium bicarbonate that I make with carbonated water takes 15 minutes max to react completely. I assume I'll know soon if it was a better idea to wait.

Edit: I see you used the chloride of magnesium. I use the hydroxide. Maybe that makes a difference. And I'm getting drowsy now.

cjm

You can accelerate the reaction process by agitating the mixture, i.e., mixing with a spoon, similar to making magnesium bicarbonate by shaking carbonated water with magnesium hydroxide. I dissolved roughly 3/8 tsp magnesium hydroxide in roughly 2 ounces of vinegar. Stir with a spoon for a few seconds, let it sit for a few minutes tops, and the mixture clears up. It's not perfectly clear, though I suppose more vinegar would do the trick, but I didn't have any issues last night when I didn't have a spoon at my disposal. I waited for 5-10 more minutes while writing this post and no further changes. I'm too lazy to let this sit overnight and I'm impressed enough by the results from last night. Felt like magnesium's magic.

For what it's worth, this amount of magnesium (~1g) did not create a laxative effect. In fact, I was constipated upon waking, which yielded harder than normal stool after a mere sip of coffee, something that hasn't happened in a while. With consistent use, there's the possibility of intestinal changes that will end up producing a laxative effect. I'll keep at it for a few days and report the longer term results. My dreams were vivid last night and the sense of relaxation steadily coaxed muscles from head to toe. I slept without my usual pajamas or head covering due to a warm body. The initial drowsiness did not persist, and did not put me to sleep right away, the relaxation eventually did.

Thank you, @inthedark, for taking the time to experiment and make the thread. I love the taste of vinegar and barely dilute the original mix.

cjm

Day 3 of making magnesium acetate with magnesium hydroxide powder and vinegar (5%): I can confirm that the solution clears up almost completely after a good 30-second stir and a 15-minute wait, with another stir or two if there is precipitate still in the liquid. The stirring is crucial. I'm going to leave a control overnight to see what results @inthedark was getting. Since I enjoy the taste of vinegar and there's less fluid involved, I prefer this method to the popular bicarbonate recipe floating around the forum, which can also found here: Magnesium bicarbonate supplementation - Toxinless. The final acetate mix is less than a cup compared to 12 ounces to a liter for the bicarbonate.

cjm

The control mix I set out did not clear up any more after 7 hours. For me, this puts to bed (no pun intended) the overnight waiting.

cjm

After 7 consecutive days of taking magnesium through the acetate mix, the last 4 days of at least 2 grams elemental (one day at 3 grams), I'm still not getting a laxative effect, nor any stool looseness, similar to my experience with the same amount of elemental magnesium through the bicarbonate mix. I assume this would indicate a high rate of absorption.

For anyone concerned about taking too much vinegar, I looked up how they induce experimental IBS with acetic acid, and they don't make the test animals ingest vinegar, one study in particular administered 4% acetic acid intrarectally. I took up to 14 ounces of vinegar (5%) on one particular day through homemade magnesium acetate and sodium acetate without any remarkable changes in bowel movement or stool quality. If I'm just consuming magnesium acetate, the total vinegar content is about 6 ounces.

If anything changes, I'll make a note. Please note I'm making comments about safety, not recommendations.

Last edited: