Low Iodine Levels In Vast Majority Of Population?

ddjd

Ive been experimenting with lugols iodine recently and taking well above what ray recommends. I suspect I had/have a deficiency which is why im experiencing such positive results, improved sleep quality, amazing skin tone, huge estrogen reduction, more energy in the day, better cirdanian rhythm.

So after experiencing all of these benefits it annoys me somewhat that all these years Ive been reading what Ray says about Iodine deficiency being a myth. I dont think everyone will benefit in the same way i have, but it does feel like the missing piece of the puzzle.

having done some extra research, a fairly well respected doc in the iodine field, is Dr. Brownstein, he says " We have tested over 6,000 patients and found the vast majority significantly low in iodine. "

This goes exactly against what Ray is saying, and from my positive personal exprience now with lugols iodine im going to have to beg to differ with Rays view.

Any other thoughts on iodine supplementation. Of course im taking sufficient selenium etc....

CaseyL

I've also read Dr Brownstein's work, as well as work by Drs Guy E Abraham and Jorge Flechas in a similar vein. Lugol's was widely utilized for all manner of ailments in the late 19th and early 20th centuries before the rise of antibiotics and other patented pharmaceuticals, at doses that would seem completely insane by the standards currently adopted in mainstream (and alternative) medicine. My own experience has been similar to yours, in that I was initially reluctant to take larger doses of Lugol's or nascent iodine for fear that it would inhibit my thyroid function, but I found that after a period of a week or two, wherein I had fluctuations in body temperature and an increase in acne lesions, I experienced very obvious benefits in just about every aspect of my health and well-being. The history of iodine's medicinal use is extremely fascinating, and the Wolff-Chaikoff effect, which is what Ray seems to base his disdain for large doses of iodine on, seems to fall apart as a plausible hypothesis on even a cursory examination of clinical reality. It's true that taking a huge bolus of iodine out of the blue can suppress the thyroid in the short term, but the effect is transient and the thyroid adapts over the course of days and weeks to the larger supply of iodine, eventually up-regulating hormone production again, often to a point higher than baseline. It's something like putting a huge quantity of firewood on a dwindling fire; if you put too much too fast you can smother it, but if you add it in slowly and keep the air flow going (something like a sound diet and a pro-metabolic lifestyle), it will eventually consume the fresh wood and become a far larger, hotter flame than it was before. That's my pet hypothesis, at least. An interesting overview of the history and physiological effects of large doses of iodine can be found here:

The Safe and Effective Implementation of Orthoiodosupplementation In Medical Practice, Guy. E. Abraham M.D.

Anecdotally, I took 25-50mg of Lugol's iodine for about 10 months straight and didn't have any worrisome side effects outside of the first two weeks or so. I did notice, however, that the quality of my skin improved, the quality of my circulation improved, my hair seemed to become more buoyant and thick (though only slightly, my hair has never been an issue), I found that I was able to put on muscle mass more easily (which is interesting, because essentially all of the early bodybuilding protein powders had some concentrated source of iodine in them, and in the early 20th century iodine was sold as a muscle building tonic, see picture below), I felt that my mental acuity improved slightly, and my emotional stability seemed to improve a bit as well. I've since started using nascent iodine suspended in glycerin, and generally only take a 3-4 milligrams, 5-7 days per week.

I'm quite convinced that the excess of bromide and fluoride in our environments is an underappreciated cause of dysfunction throughout all of the body's systems, and the notion that iodine is primarily (or only) important for the thyroid is preposterous and untrue. The markedly increased excretion of bromide and fluoride in the urine following therapeutic iodine doses has been documented by many physicians. Women, in particular, seem to benefit tremendously from "thyroid suppressive" levels of iodine supplementation, especially if they have fibrotic breast tissue or other precancerous conditions where the action of estrogen is very pronounced. Iodine is one of the most potent (and safest) anti-estrogens available. Brownstein has some interesting data on that, as I recall. Studying medical history and reading the works of iodine-savvy physicians, coupled with my own experiences and the experiences of family members, leave me in no doubt that iodine well beyond what Ray recommends can be healthful. Individual dosages will always be a matter of personal experimentation, so I would hesitate to make any sweeping recommendations. Just read the literature before you start swallowing half a bottle of Lugol's every day, as the need for certain vitamins and minerals can increase when taking large doses of iodine.

iodine ad.png

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Finally someone open minded who has actually done their research on iodine without any negative predispositions.

It's interesting that so many people note the improved skin softness and quality, I thought it was only me, but now I've seen several people mention it, and it happens even at low doses of 1 drop of 2% lugol's.

dookie

@Joeyd @CaseyL @MyUsernameHere

Even Peat mentioned in an interview that he knew women who quickly got rid of breast cysts (or other classic high estrogen issues), in just a few days, with iodine. But he says "thyroid is safer", even though for some people, thyroid causes increased estrogen levels.

CaseyL You say anti-estrogenic effects, but can you elaborate more what you notice? Is it powerful enough that you think it could be used to reverse gyno in a male?

For those who have tried iodine, have you tried thyroid (and did it have good or bad effects), and what is the closest thing you can think of which has effects similar to iodine?

Even Peat mentioned in an interview that he knew women who quickly got rid of breast cysts (or other classic high estrogen issues), in just a few days, with iodine. But he says "thyroid is safer", even though for some people, thyroid causes increased estrogen levels.

CaseyL You say anti-estrogenic effects, but can you elaborate more what you notice? Is it powerful enough that you think it could be used to reverse gyno in a male?

For those who have tried iodine, have you tried thyroid (and did it have good or bad effects), and what is the closest thing you can think of which has effects similar to iodine?

That is some odd reasoning. Iodine is a mineral, an essential one, at that. Thyroid is a hormone that the body can manufacture out of numerous essential components. How could taking an end-product ever be preferable to taking the very building blocks necessary, not to mention that they are also used in other places? If iodine improves breast cysts, to me that would be grounds for saying that this person had a deficiency that is now being corrected. Similar improvement can probably be achieved with progesterone or thyroid, but in my view the simplest, most basic element that does the job is the correct one.

The anti-estrogenic effects are not super strong system-wide, but perhaps the most noticeable in the brain. There is a slight shift in thinking towards being more aggressive and androgenic. It manifests in subtle ways, like perhaps feeling the mood for harsher and darker music than usual. I think the way it acts anti-estrogenically is that it stimulates the metabolism of stronger estrogens towards weaker ones like estriol or estrone.

I've tried thyroid - NDT, synthetic T4, and T3, and to me at best it only felt stimulating, but never balancing, and I never felt like I was achieving any kind of permanent improvement with it. I didn't feel 'right' during the time I was on it, and when I got off, I'd just be back in the same bad old place as before, so I pretty much gave up on supplementing any and all thyroid hormones. Using red light pointed at my own gland gives a far more natural, smooth energy and a kind of balance and stability in well-being that I never achieved with thyroid, no matter how I dosed it or what I took.
As for iodine, I can't think of anything that has similar effects. At least I haven't tried anything entirely similar. It would be akin to asking if there is anything similar to calcium or potassium. They are essential nutrients with unique effects, and cannot be substituted for. That said, I've experienced similar shifts in mental state when taking aspirin, so perhaps there is some common mechanism of action between those two.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

That is some odd reasoning. Iodine is a mineral, an essential one, at that. Thyroid is a hormone that the body can manufacture out of numerous essential components. How could taking an end-product ever be preferable to taking the very building blocks necessary, not to mention that they are also used in other places? If iodine improves breast cysts, to me that would be grounds for saying that this person had a deficiency that is now being corrected. Similar improvement can probably be achieved with progesterone or thyroid, but in my view the simplest, most basic element that does the job is the correct one.

The anti-estrogenic effects are not super strong system-wide, but perhaps the most noticeable in the brain. There is a slight shift in thinking towards being more aggressive and androgenic. It manifests in subtle ways, like perhaps feeling the mood for harsher and darker music than usual. I think the way it acts anti-estrogenically is that it stimulates the metabolism of stronger estrogens towards weaker ones like estriol or estrone.

I've tried thyroid - NDT, synthetic T4, and T3, and to me at best it only felt stimulating, but never balancing, and I never felt like I was achieving any kind of permanent improvement with it. I didn't feel 'right' during the time I was on it, and when I got off, I'd just be back in the same bad old place as before, so I pretty much gave up on supplementing any and all thyroid hormones. Using red light pointed at my own gland gives a far more natural, smooth energy and a kind of balance and stability in well-being that I never achieved with thyroid, no matter how I dosed it or what I took.
As for iodine, I can't think of anything that has similar effects. At least I haven't tried anything entirely similar. It would be akin to asking if there is anything similar to calcium or potassium. They are essential nutrients with unique effects, and cannot be substituted for. That said, I've experienced similar shifts in mental state when taking aspirin, so perhaps there is some common mechanism of action between those two.
I've experimented with haiduts Androsterone and 5adhp, both strong estrogen inhibitors and I'd say 2 of my lugols iodine 12% drops are even more effective

dookie

For everybody who says iodine improved their skin "quality" and softness, did it also change the color of your skin, like making it darker or lighter? Also, have you seen moles change? Apparently, iodine is used to remove moles, I saw some guides on how to do this

What brand are you using of Lugols iodine?

OP
ddjd

ddjd

For everybody who says iodine improved their skin "quality" and softness, did it also change the color of your skin, like making it darker or lighter? Also, have you seen moles change? Apparently, iodine is used to remove moles, I saw some guides on how to do this

What brand are you using of Lugols iodine?
i use 12 % lugols. just one or two drops at night, and not every day, just when i feel my cortisol amd estrogen is too high

Ell

LOL. I've been taking "high" amounts of iodine since 2007. I started with 1 gram slugs of potassium iodide. The first few days of this, you get to see some funky-colored urine, which according to Flechas, MD contains high amounts of heavy metals. So for me, it was a great detox. Taking a little salt in water supposedly helps to liberate bromides from hanging in the kidney. The current "rda" of 150 mcg. is an open joke. I too was afraid at first b/c of the scare tactics the medical trade union employs, but quickly realized after reading the PDR entry for PIMA syrup, that doses > 1 gram per day are well-tolerated by nearly all people, and its a great expectorant. Then I found out that the Great Albert Szent-Gyorgi himself had reported eating a gram of KI daily. Without question, iodine cures fibrocystic disease and PCOS, which both are apparently iodine deficiency conditions, and pre-cancerous. "The lack of iodine is a promoter of cancer" - Jorge Flechas, MD More reading here, for those interested: Iodine Research: Optimox

OP
ddjd

ddjd

LOL. I've been taking "high" amounts of iodine since 2007. I started with 1 gram slugs of potassium iodide. The first few days of this, you get to see some funky-colored urine, which according to Flechas, MD contains high amounts of heavy metals. So for me, it was a great detox. Taking a little salt in water supposedly helps to liberate bromides from hanging in the kidney. The current "rda" of 150 mcg. is an open joke. I too was afraid at first b/c of the scare tactics the medical trade union employs, but quickly realized after reading the PDR entry for PIMA syrup, that doses > 1 gram per day are well-tolerated by nearly all people, and its a great expectorant. Then I found out that the Great Albert Szent-Gyorgi himself had reported eating a gram of KI daily. Without question, iodine cures fibrocystic disease and PCOS, which both are apparently iodine deficiency conditions, and pre-cancerous. "The lack of iodine is a promoter of cancer" - Jorge Flechas, MD More reading here, for those interested: Iodine Research: Optimox
what was your selenium intake like?

Peater

I took Lugols and the solid iodine tablets (I forget what they are called now) back in about 2009/2010. Can't say I remember much of note, and after reading iodine related writing by R.P. I never bothered ordering any more. That said, I don't recall any side effects.

Interested in seeing others experiences though. I still have the David Brownstein video saved.

Edit: Iodoral tablets

Last edited:

burtlancast

Then I found out that the Great Albert Szent-Gyorgi himself had reported eating a gram of KI daily.

Yes, that quote is very telling:

Some 50 years ago, Nobel laureate Albert Szent Györgyi, the physician who discovered vitamin C in 1928 and who was a medical student in the early 1900s, wrote:23

“When I was a medical student, iodine in the form of KI was the universal medicine. Nobody knew what it did, but it did something and did something good. We students used to sum up the situation in this little rhyme: ‘If ye don’t know where, what, and why, prescribe ye then K and I.’ Our medical predecessors, possessing very few and crude instruments only, had to make use of two given by nature (the use of which has since gone out of fashion): eyes and brains. They were keen observers and the universal application of iodide might have been not without foundation.”
The History of Iodine in Medicine Part I: From Discovery to Essentiality, Guy E. Abraham, M.D.

BigBrain

lol i also noticed this really lighten green urine after taking daily nascent iodine, what it also noticed is that my cirdanian rhythm is improving very well. I get extremely warm in the morning espiacially my dic.k and in the evening im really sleepy very nice

Andreas

I have a bad experience with high dose Iodine, also check out curezone there is lots of people with bad experience there (aswell as good).
I did take 50mg lugols (with adequate selenium, vitamin c and salt flushes. I followed the faqs on curezone) for 6 months before I stopped. My skin aged considerably during this time and developed lots of wrinkes at age 27. I also experienced hair loss.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

I have a bad experience with high dose Iodine, also check out curezone there is lots of people with bad experience there (aswell as good).
I did take 50mg lugols (with adequate selenium, vitamin c and salt flushes. I followed the faqs on curezone) for 6 months before I stopped. My skin aged considerably during this time and developed lots of wrinkes at age 27. I also experienced hair loss.
50mg is excessive. I would never take that much. How long were you taking it for

sweetpeat

a fairly well respected doc in the iodine field, is Dr. Brownstein, he says " We have tested over 6,000 patients and found the vast majority significantly low in iodine. "
Do you know how he tests for iodine deficiency?