Limonene Reduces Serotonin During Stress

LeeLemonoil

Thanks @Wagner83, nice find.
Reduces endotoxins by altering quantities of the biome and protecting gut barrier seems a broad-spectrum benefit.

Orange peel Jam yam yam

Wagner83

I haven't tried marmalade enough, I think ecstatichamster did but not sure he had obvious benefits from it.
haidut said:
The main ingredient (97%) was limonene, but the doses was kind of high - about 2g/kg bw for a rat, which would be 20g-25g daily for a human. Not toxic but limonene opposes adrenaline pretty reliably and can cause asthma attack or anaphylactic reaction in some people.

haidut

Forum Supporter

LeeLemonoil

All right, 20g of limonene is absolutely unattainable via a normal diet and doesn’t sound clever to supplement

Mito

“D-limonene has strong systemic antiviral effects against the virus family Herpesviridae (may help against Herpes Simplex 1, Herpes Simplex 2, and Varicella [chickenpox, shingles] reactivation).”

“Limonene has shown sedative properties, which may help those with anxiety disorders. Limonene increases GABA(gamma-Aminobutyric acid) production in the brain (by its metabolites perillic acid and perillyl alcohol activating the GABAA cellular receptors), reduces glutamate excitability, and may prevent neurotransmitter (serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine) overproduction (which may improve mood, reduce anxiety, and improve brain fog). Limonene is also shown to have anti-seizure properties, more than likely from its ability to reduce glutamic acid neuronal over-excitability. Limonene binds to and activates the adenosine A2A receptor which helps to regulate glutamate, GABA, and dopamine release. Finally, limonene has been found to reduce stress hormone cortisol serum levels, improving adrenal fatigue in people with elevated cortisol.13 14 15

“Research has also shown that D-limonene might also have anti-cancer properties. Limonene prevents the growth of cancer cells by inhibiting growth controlling G proteins (guanine nucleotide-binding protein, inhibits mainly p21ras), that is signal transducing molecules that induce cell growth. Limonene inhibits posttranslational addition of hydrophobic groups to the G protein peptide precursor, which is necessary for the growth controlling G proteins to function properly, therefore eliminating cancerous cells by reducing growth and replication. Limonene reduces breast cancer growth by inhibiting the expression of cyclin D1 and IL-6. Cyclin D1 speeds up cellular progression, allowing cancer cells to proliferate faster. Finally, in stomach cancer cells, limonene decreased BCL2 (B-cell lymphoma 2 gene), increased p53 (tumor protein 53 suppressor gene), decreases VEGF (Vascular endothelial growth factor, tumor’s ability to receive blood flow), reduced H. pylori, and reduced inflammation (inhibits the inflammation inducers TNF-α and NF-κB) inhibiting cancer growth and inducing cancer cell apoptosis.16 17 18 19

D-limonene, the Important Supplement to Relieve Heartburn, a Review

Literally

Any thoughts on this? Orange oil could be a cheap supplement and it gives every food a nice fresh orange flavor.

Thanks for posting. I'm potentially interested in trying this but I am wary of overexposure to essential oils. Do you have any thoughts on the dosage one might get from a single drop of sweet orange essential oil?

The method of getting less than a drop would be to dilute in a carrier oil.

OP
murdoc

murdoc

Orange oil - Wikipedia

orange oil consists of limonene. more than 90%.
it is very cheap even organic ones but I have no idea about the manufacturing process, so there could be impurities, pesticides, etc...

Literally

BTW anyone thinking about ingesting orange oil should
- acquire sweet orange oil, as opposed to bitter orange (both are commonly available)
- acquire food grade or therapeutic grade -- the dead giveaway here if sold in the USA will be a Nutrition Facts panel
- dilute to no more than 2% using a carrier oil (i.e. a regular fat, rather than an essential oil)

OP
murdoc

murdoc

D-limonene exhibits anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties in an ulcerative colitis rat model via regulation of iNOS, COX-2, PGE2 and ERK sig... - PubMed - NCBI

D-limonene exhibits anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties in an ulcerative colitis rat model via regulation of iNOS, COX-2, PGE2 and ERK signaling pathways.

Abstract
D-limonene has been demonstrated to have important immunomodulatory properties, including antitumor effects, and may alleviate asthma and allergies. In the present study, the anti‑inflammatory effects of D‑limonene were investigated in an ulcerative colitis (UC) rat model. Healthy male Sprague‑Dawley rats were randomly divided into control, untreated UC, and treatment with 50 or 100 mg/kg D‑limonene UC groups. In UC rats, disease activity and colonic mucosa damage were significantly reduced by the anti‑inflammatory effects of D‑limonene, via suppression of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)‑2 and ‑9 gene expression. In addition, treatment with D‑limonene significantly increased antioxidant, inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and cyclooxygenase‑2 (COX‑2) protein expression levels in UC rats. A decrease in prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) production, transforming growth factor‑β (TGF‑β) gene expression and an increase phosphorylated‑extracellular signal regulated kinase (ERK) 1/2 expression levels were observed in UC rats treated with D‑limonene. In conclusion, D‑limonene reduced MMP‑2 and ‑9 mRNA expression levels via regulation of the iNOS, COX‑2, PGE2, TGF‑β and ERK1/2 signaling pathways in a UC rat model, indicating its potential antioxidant and anti‑inflammatory properties.

The abstract description is a bit misleading. D-Limone treatment reduced iNOS and COX-2 in UC rats as the full text revealed.
D-limonene exhibits anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties in an ulcerative colitis rat model via regulation of iNOS, COX-2, PGE2 and ERK signaling pathways

Personally I have used organic Sweet Orange (Citrus sinensis L.) Essential Oil due to its high natural Limonene content.
I was not entirely sure about its safety profile, but the following summary of citrus essential oil looks really promising. I recommend to read it.

Biological Activities and Safety of Citrus spp. Essential Oils

LeeLemonoil

significantly increased antioxidant, inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and cyclooxygenase‑2 (COX‑2) protein expression levels in

Mind though that Limonene here is described to increase Cox-2 expression.

That’s not per se good or bad and can be either depending on inflammatory context, but it’s a bit against the Peat/Aspirin-Dogma

OP
murdoc

murdoc

Mind though that Limonene here is described to increase Cox-2 expression.

That’s not per se good or bad and can be either depending on inflammatory context, but it’s a bit against the Peat/Aspirin-Dogma

As I said the abstract is misleading. Only the UC rats had increased inflammatory markers including increased COX2-expression. Limonene treatment reduced all of the inflammatory markers. Just have a look at the full text.

D-limonene exhibits anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties in an ulcerative colitis rat model via regulation of iNOS, COX-2, PGE2 and ERK signaling pathways

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals