Leg Exercise Is Critical To Brain And Nervous System Health

Mito

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/05/180523080214.htm

New research shows that using the legs, particularly in weight-bearing exercise, sends signals to the brain that are vital for the production of healthy neural cells. The groundbreaking study fundamentally alters brain and nervous system medicine -- giving doctors new clues as to why patients with motor neuron disease, multiple sclerosis, spinal muscular atrophy and other neurological diseases often rapidly decline when their movement becomes limited.

Arrade

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/05/180523080214.htm

New research shows that using the legs, particularly in weight-bearing exercise, sends signals to the brain that are vital for the production of healthy neural cells. The groundbreaking study fundamentally alters brain and nervous system medicine -- giving doctors new clues as to why patients with motor neuron disease, multiple sclerosis, spinal muscular atrophy and other neurological diseases often rapidly decline when their movement becomes limited.
Sick. I love squats

T

tca300

Never-Skip-Leg-Day4.gif

sugarisgreat

The best exercise I have found to build leg muscles is "The Bar Method." (great for skiers too). It is all about getting into the deep leg muscles.
I have seen competitive male athletes laugh when they come in (at all the ladies there) and cry as they leave.
They also have videos that will make you scream in agony- in the privacy of your own home.
Bar Method - The Workout | Ballet Barre Workout

J

jb116

Because there are lots of big muscles in the "leg region," which would also include glutes, performing weight training would also synthesize the most testosterone. So don't skip them leg workouts!

Lejeboca

The best exercise I have found to build leg muscles is "The Bar Method." (great for skiers too). It is all about getting into the deep leg muscles.
I have seen competitive male athletes laugh when they come in (at all the ladies there) and cry as they leave.
They also have videos that will make you scream in agony- in the privacy of your own home.
Bar Method - The Workout | Ballet Barre Workout

A quote from a blog post What to Expect in Your First Month of Barre - Bar Method : " After your first class, be sure to drink plenty of water so your muscles stay hydrated as they recover. You may be sore but stick with it as your body adjusts and gets stronger."
Can Bar be approached very gradually without lactic acid build-up in the muscles or teas upon departure after the first class? (Please don't take it as sarcasm, as I am genuinely interested but would like to approach it the "peat way", i.e., without 'no pain--no gain'. )

sugarisgreat

Good point about the lactic acid buildup-I have thought about this too in relation to Ray Peat. I don't really have an answer, but before I married and moved to Los Angeles, I used to live right near the flagship Bar Method studio in SF.
The owner (Burr Leonard) had the tightest leg muscles (really-all her muscles) I have ever seen-of anyone any age. She is in her 70's. When I am consistently doing these leg exercises-the results are unparalleled (especially when it comes to keeping up with anyone, any age male/female on stair/bleacher climbing or skiing).

Lejeboca

:thumbsup:
Very interesting thanks for posting this.

This is the study the article is referencing, saving people a click through to it.

Reduction of Movement in Neurological Diseases: Effects on Neural Stem Cells Characteristics

Thanks for the direct link @raypeatclips .

I've looked at the articles and found their discussion about benefits of lactic acid puzzling.
They are using the amount of lactate in the brain as a marker of neurological activity and seem to conclude that, more lactic acid being produced in the muscles from exercising is beneficial for the brain metabolism (!?) I think that they put the entire "good-bad" metabolism on its head.
Am I missing something here? Maybe @haidut can chime in, please?

Here are some quotes:

"L-lactate is a common metabolite in mammals, its production occurs in all cells including neurons and glia, and lactate is used actively by brain cells in culture (Medina and Tabernero, 2005). Pyruvate is formed during glycolysis and part of it is converted into L-lactate by lactate dehydrogenase (LDH). This prompted us to study lactate production as a marker of the metabolic activity of NSCs [neural stem cells]."

"Our results confirmed the lower metabolic capability of the HU [hindleg unloded] samples; indeed after 4 h of culturing HU samples showed 61.2% less lactate than CTR [control] samples (p < 0.0142) (Figure 6C) whereas after 18 h of culturing the HU samples level was 46.1% of that of the CTR."

"With regard to the metabolic capacity of the HU and CTR NSCs, it is recognized that intracellular pO2 values of 0.5 Torr or less occur in O2-limited oxidative phosphorylation and consequent lactate production and accumulation (Rogatzki et al., 2015). At low levels of oxygen, energy is provided by anaerobic metabolism, leading to the production of lactic acid (De Filippis and Delia, 2011). Stem cells, such as ESCs, HSCs, MSCs, and others, have immature mitochondrial morphology, a reduced oxidative capacity and enhanced anabolic levels in the glycolytic pathways (Folmes et al., 2012). Brain lactate is a major substrate for oxidative metabolism during development and it is selectively utilized as an anabolic reservoir for cell proliferation and differentiation. Furthermore, lactate is used actively by brain cells in culture (Medina and Tabernero, 2005). In this scenario, the results obtained from our work emphasize the involvement of metabolism alteration and NSCs properties during the reduction of motor activity".

"The levels of oxygen have been shown to affect NSCs characteristics during normal development, disease and culturing (Studer et al., 2000; Mohyeldin et al., 2010; Santilli et al., 2010). Since the NSCs have mostly a glycolytic metabolism, due to the low oxygen tension level (Zhang et al., 2015) the lower lactate level measured in HU NSCs indicates that these cells have a higher oxidative metabolism (Figure 6C,D), this was also demonstrated by other authors (Medina and Tabernero, 2005)"

B-styles

Cool find. Leg day always makes me feel mentally powerful. Good to see the connection.

Lore

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the direct link @raypeatclips .

I've looked at the articles and found their discussion about benefits of lactic acid puzzling.
They are using the amount of lactate in the brain as a marker of neurological activity and seem to conclude that, more lactic acid being produced in the muscles from exercising is beneficial for the brain metabolism (!?) I think that they put the entire "good-bad" metabolism on its head.
Am I missing something here? Maybe @haidut can chime in, please?

Here are some quotes:

"L-lactate is a common metabolite in mammals, its production occurs in all cells including neurons and glia, and lactate is used actively by brain cells in culture (Medina and Tabernero, 2005). Pyruvate is formed during glycolysis and part of it is converted into L-lactate by lactate dehydrogenase (LDH). This prompted us to study lactate production as a marker of the metabolic activity of NSCs [neural stem cells]."

"Our results confirmed the lower metabolic capability of the HU [hindleg unloded] samples; indeed after 4 h of culturing HU samples showed 61.2% less lactate than CTR [control] samples (p < 0.0142) (Figure 6C) whereas after 18 h of culturing the HU samples level was 46.1% of that of the CTR."

"With regard to the metabolic capacity of the HU and CTR NSCs, it is recognized that intracellular pO2 values of 0.5 Torr or less occur in O2-limited oxidative phosphorylation and consequent lactate production and accumulation (Rogatzki et al., 2015). At low levels of oxygen, energy is provided by anaerobic metabolism, leading to the production of lactic acid (De Filippis and Delia, 2011). Stem cells, such as ESCs, HSCs, MSCs, and others, have immature mitochondrial morphology, a reduced oxidative capacity and enhanced anabolic levels in the glycolytic pathways (Folmes et al., 2012). Brain lactate is a major substrate for oxidative metabolism during development and it is selectively utilized as an anabolic reservoir for cell proliferation and differentiation. Furthermore, lactate is used actively by brain cells in culture (Medina and Tabernero, 2005). In this scenario, the results obtained from our work emphasize the involvement of metabolism alteration and NSCs properties during the reduction of motor activity".

"The levels of oxygen have been shown to affect NSCs characteristics during normal development, disease and culturing (Studer et al., 2000; Mohyeldin et al., 2010; Santilli et al., 2010). Since the NSCs have mostly a glycolytic metabolism, due to the low oxygen tension level (Zhang et al., 2015) the lower lactate level measured in HU NSCs indicates that these cells have a higher oxidative metabolism (Figure 6C,D), this was also demonstrated by other authors (Medina and Tabernero, 2005)"

No response is necessary, I'm making a comment here for my personal reference. I want to come back to this post when I'm a bit healthier to ask more questions. I'm unable to exercise at this time, however, Lord willing, I will need exercise soon to help complete my recovery.

Motif

My legs have always been so damn skinny. Even working on it didn't help much.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals