Ketotifen?

rw39

anyone know if this is good or bad? Have some mast cell and histamine problems---looking into using this and maybe cypro

haidut

Forum Supporter
anyone know if this is good or bad? Have some mast cell and histamine problems---looking into using this and maybe cypro

Ketotifen has some good properties and the one I like the most is that it is an endotoxin (TLR4) antagonist:
TLR4 - Wikipedia

The issue with it is that it seems to raise NO in some studies but if you feel well on it and the doctor thinks it is OK then it is probably at least as good as cypro in terms of anti-allergy effects. I don't think it has anti-serotonin effects though.

haidut

Forum Supporter

No, I had not seen it so thanks for sharing. It does seem like ketotifen may inhibit serotonin liberation from platelets, which would make it a functional serotonin antagonist, for a lack of better term. But the concentrations used were really high - 1mM / L, which would require ingesting grams of ketotifen per dose to reach that level. Obviously not something you want to do. I don't know if ketotifen has the same effect in the lower doses used clinically.

Sucrates

No, I had not seen it so thanks for sharing. It does seem like ketotifen may inhibit serotonin liberation from platelets, which would make it a functional serotonin antagonist, for a lack of better term. But the concentrations used were really high - 1mM / L, which would require ingesting grams of ketotifen per dose to reach that level. Obviously not something you want to do. I don't know if ketotifen has the same effect in the lower doses used clinically.

Yeah, it seems given that and the effect on NO ,that cypro would be a better choice. There are some other studies with ketotifen and anxiety, which is why I went digging for a link to serotonin.

Mossy

Last edited:

thomas00

I took it for a couple of months more than a year or so ago. The dose was the same as in the IBS study you can search for.

It made me really cranky the first day. After that I didn't notice much. No side effects at all beyond that.

Cypro has been better.

If you're in Australia it's available from compounding pharmacies.

Mossy

I took it for a couple of months more than a year or so ago. The dose was the same as in the IBS study you can search for.

It made me really cranky the first day. After that I didn't notice much. No side effects at all beyond that.

Cypro has been better.

If you're in Australia it's available from compounding pharmacies.
Thanks for sharing, thomas00.

Yeah, I did see the thread about it helping poor digestion, which is my objective in taking it.

When you say Cypro has been better, is that for the IBS/poor digestion, or just overall sense of well-being? Which reminds me, I did read in the other threads that ketotifen should help with PTSD.

HDD

Hi HDD, thanks for the source.

Could you share your experience with ketotifen? I'm stopping the eye drops, which I had an allergic reaction to, and am hoping these (pills) would be a good alternative.

I purchased it for someone else and he hasn’t taken any of it yet. Sorry I don’t have any feedback.

Mossy

I purchased it for someone else and he hasn’t taken any of it yet. Sorry I don’t have any feedback.
No problem. Thanks for responding.

thomas00

Thanks for sharing, thomas00.

Yeah, I did see the thread about it helping poor digestion, which is my objective in taking it.

When you say Cypro has been better, is that for the IBS/poor digestion, or just overall sense of well-being? Which reminds me, I did read in the other threads that ketotifen should help with PTSD.

It's been more effective for IBS and mood. Ketotifen didn't seem to do much for either.

Mossy

It's been more effective for IBS and mood. Ketotifen didn't seem to do much for either.
Ok, that helps, as I attempt to narrow down what to try. Thanks.

Ketotifen has some good properties and the one I like the most is that it is an endotoxin (TLR4) antagonist:
TLR4 - Wikipedia

The issue with it is that it seems to raise NO in some studies but if you feel well on it and the doctor thinks it is OK then it is probably at least as good as cypro in terms of anti-allergy effects. I don't think it has anti-serotonin effects though.
tlr4 antagonists that are non toxic relatively are the main tho f I’m looking for right now. Me/cfs is chronic “low level” sepsis. Unfortunately LDN increases acth and even though it’s tlr4 antagonist it also is somewhat steroid like and increases blood pressure a lot sometimes.

Do you really think that the NO increase from ketotifen would present problems ? I’ve heard nothing but good things about it so far. One person with mast cell issues that lead to hospitalization for anaphylaxis said high dose ketotifen was the only thing that kept him stable.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals