K2 Causing Heart Palpitations

owtsgmi

Very interesting.. I have a bottle of ubiquinone I've been staring at for about 6 months. I think I am going to take one soon to see if I have a better experience.

OP
bionicheart

bionicheart

I emailed Ray about ectopic beats and he mentioned minerals, dairy and OJ. He also said vitamin D can help if it's low.
I'm so glad you commented as I had some labs done after I posted this...
The results show that I am low in vitamin D!
I'll supplement for a while, get some sunshine then give K2 another go. I'll report back and see if resolving the D3 deficiency eliminates the cardio side effects.

Sucrates

I'm so glad you commented as I had some labs done after I posted this...
The results show that I am low in vitamin D!
I'll supplement for a while, get some sunshine then give K2 another go. I'll report back and see if resolving the D3 deficiency eliminates the cardio side effects.

Ah, hopefully that will help. :)

Fexxx

Hello,

I have the same issue with (to) strong Heartbeats with Thorne K2 (1-3 drops).
Are there any solutions how to fix this? Or is K2 just not right for me?

Many Thanks

Last edited:

Travis

I would just take less until it's gone. You could then either buy K₁ after that, or start eating more leaves.

I think this could mean that you have good CoQ₁₀ and/or K₂ levels already. Perhaps CoQ₁₀ levels can be estimated at home by the amount of K₂ or CoQ₁₀ necessary to cause cardiac changes.

This stuff naturally-occurs in the blood vessels, so it's not damaging. It just sounds like you're taking too much at one time. Instead of a few drops, you could try one drop three times per day. You can also dilute the rest of the bottle with water to make less-concentrated drops.

Fexxx

@Travis

Thanks a lot!
Indeed I used CoQ10 (100mg) the last months. So maybe already "enough energy" is floating around in my system and more ist not better?
My Vitamin level from real sun is good (not great but OK). So do you think further Vitamin D supplemenation (it´s autum now here in germany) with 1000-2000 UI will be beneficial?

best regards
Fexxx

Travis

I think so. There have read a few studies on dosing people with such amounts to give them an all-year "summertime" blood profile and they all seem to do fine, with no reported side-effects. Occasionally, you can find someone hyper-responsive to vitamin D in which small amounts cause great increases in calcium absorption causing hypercalcemia. This happens to only like one out of 5-thousand people. But anyone hyper-responsive would probably feel these effects in the joints. It would be easy to tell.

And it depends on calcium intake. A good amount of calcium, like 40%, absorbs entirely independent of vitamin D. The higher the calcium intake, the lower vitamin D is necessary for total calcium absorption.

But of course there are other vitamin D effects as well. It's little-known fact that muscle actually has a vitamin D receptor. This is anabolic, and vitamin D in the muscle also controls calcium levels. I had better cite a study since this sounds bizarre:
Muscle tissue was among the first nontraditional vitamin D target organs to be identified. Much attention has since been paid to the effects of vitamin D on muscle strength, exercise capacity, and physical performance. Numerous studies have reported a correlation between vitamin D and muscle function.

Bartoszewska, Magdalena, Manmohan Kamboj, and Dilip R. Patel. "Vitamin D, muscle function, and exercise performance." Pediatric Clinics of North America 57.3 (2010): 849-861.

I haven't read any studies on vitamin D and immune function yet, but I get the impression that its influential.
(it´s autum now here in germany)
Its autumn in Wisconsin too. There are many German descendants around here. When European immigrants came here, they had a tendency to choose the same latitude that they were acclimated to. I'm at the forty-third parallel (43.7°N), and I have a German name.

fradon

k2 is fat soluble...eat with a fat and protein. To digest fat you need high stomach acid...to get high stomach acid you need protein. to digest fat you also need bile which can only be triggered with eating a fat. Once your fat hits the intestines bile neutralizes the acids and it gets absorbed.

taking it on its own is not the it exists in nature where it is usually bound up with some fat in protein source like milk, or beef fat.

Antonello

@Travis Thanks for the info on k2 but as some people mentioned heart palpitation can occur even with gonadin and here I don't see a connection with CoQ10.
I think is more due to low cortisol.

ddjd

I've taken K2 (thorne research), just 1 drop on two separate occasions.
Each time my heart rate went from 75 up to 110 and I had palpitations well into the day after taking it. I also got "air hungry" after each dose. I haven't been supplementing with anything else other than magnesium, nor changed my diet during doses.
What could be causing this, has anyone else experienced this? I want to take it to prevent calcification and tartar build up.
Thanks
Try taking b1 thiamine hcl to help with the air hunger.

It's basically because it's raising your metabolism. K2 MK4 will reduce nitric oxide considerably, a good thing. When your Nitric oxide is high it reduces Thyroid function.

Out of interest how do you react to other things that reduce nitric oxide; Methylene blue, niacinamide, etc

If you get a similar reaction then that would confirm my opinion

OP
bionicheart

bionicheart

Try taking b1 thiamine hcl to help with the air hunger.

It's basically because it's raising your metabolism. K2 MK4 will reduce nitric oxide considerably, a good thing. When your Nitric oxide is high it reduces Thyroid function.

Out of interest how do you react to other things that reduce nitric oxide; Methylene blue, niacinamide, etc

If you get a similar reaction then that would confirm my opinion
I take a b1 supplement daily (100mg) if not more and I have experienced no negative effects... now that my vitamin D levels are adequate, I started taking 1mg of Thorne's K2 and have no increased HR or BP. So I'll slowly increase it depending on how I feel.
I haven't tried methylene blue or niacinamide (the latter not recently enough to know how it effects me) why do you ask? I want to try MB for depression/lack of motivation but worry it may make me too anxious

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Bionicheart, thank you so much for the update.

I had bad palpitations with vitamin K2, a mix of mk4 and mk7. I did not know what was causing them so I ended up at Urgent Care and Cardiologist's office. I had a Holter monitor on for a week and an ultrasound of the heart scheduled today. I hadn't had anymore palpitations about a week post discontinuing k2.

I do not know whether it's linked to mk4 or mk7. Haidut believes that I should always take k2 with vitamin D and calcium, about 700mg or so. You encouraged me to try it again. I shall in a while, though a different brand and one type (mk4/mk7) at a time.

Sincerely

Mossy

Bionicheart, thank you so much for the update.

I had bad palpitations with vitamin K2, a mix of mk4 and mk7. I did not know what was causing them so I ended up at Urgent Care and Cardiologist's office. I had a Holter monitor on for a week and an ultrasound of the heart scheduled today. I hadn't had anymore palpitations about a week post discontinuing k2.

I do not know whether it's linked to mk4 or mk7. Haidut believes that I should always take k2 with vitamin D and calcium, about 700mg or so. You encouraged me to try it again. I shall in a while, though a different brand and one type (mk4/mk7) at a time.

Sincerely
Hi Xeliex, it may help you to know that mk7 gives me heart palpitations but mk4 does not. So, maybe taking just mk4 would remedy this. I realize the OP was using mk4, but thought it was information worth sharing, as people can react differently.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
@Mossy I really appreciate your chiming in!

Yes, physiologically it does make more sense for MK-7 to be the culprit. But as per Haidut, theoretically MK-4 could reproduce that, but less likely so. I am s/p heart ultrasound and all was fine, thank the Lord!

Judd Crane

I'm trying to differentiate between K2- and stress induced palpitations. Would the K2 one only be apparent while the K2 is in the blood? Can anyone tell a difference between the tw0?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals