John McDougall Looks Awful

DaveFoster

Here's a snapshot of him at 72 years of age. He looks like an 82-year-old with dementia. It might have something to do with his diet of vegetables, beans and corn.
upload_2019-6-5_20-57-16.png

Last edited:

Fractality

My intuition says that is what a lack of animal/dairy protein contributes to.

tankasnowgod

We doing this number again?

I'm not a fan of his diet, but I did happen to see that video where he "exposes" Dr. Greger, and McDougall looked and sounded pretty good for 72, overall. I think you just got a weird camera angle there.

Greger, however, looks worse every time I see him.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

My intuition says that is what a lack of animal/dairy protein contributes to.
That's plausible. He believes that as low as 3.5% of calories as protein would be low but nevertheless sufficient for an adult, which would be around 20 grams for most and of grain-protein.

Okinawans, who have the highest concentration of centenarians of any population, eat primarily sweet potatoes, which, unlike other starches, provide very high-quality protein, and they also eat small amounts of animal products.

Last edited:
OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

We doing this number again?

I'm not a fan of his diet, but I did happen to see that video where he "exposes" Dr. Greger, and McDougall looked and sounded pretty good for 72, overall. I think you just got a weird camera angle there.

Greger, however, looks worse every time I see him.
Dr. Michael Greger's only 42, so it's too early to tell. He looks quite old for that age, though. As for ancestry, Greger's a Jew and McDougall's Scottish, and either of those groups has higher protein and much higher fat consumption than that provided on a plant-based diet, that is unless you eat coconuts and avocados.

yerrag

He looks very much like a health food store customer buying the wrong stuff for health.

LiveWire

Is this a gay GILF thread?

From your posts @DaveFoster it sounds like you’re practically dying, and you’re not even 30. Are you really sure you wanna be calling old grandpas on their diet and disparaging their appearance?

Goobz

Apart from his neck he looks fine for a 72 year old. He may have had issues with his neck or jaw, leading to loose skin, who knows.

Judging off looks mostly just leads to confirmation bias in my opinion.

If you’re going to judge from looks, then the youngest person for his age I’ve seen is Dr David Sinclair. He has been taking high doses of resveratrol for many years, and looks very young without a single gray hair at 50. And he grew up in Australia where the harsh sun tends to age ones skin much faster.

But I don’t see people here doing that, since Ray Peat doesn’t approve of resveratrol, or estrogen like substances (I personally am unsure about resveratrol, but RP seems quite off to me with his views on estrogen so wouldn’t surprise me if resveratrol was mostly beneficial).

yerrag

but RP seems quite off to me with his views on estrogen
How is he off with his views on estrogen? Where else is he off? PUFAs?

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Apart from his neck he looks fine for a 72 year old. He may have had issues with his neck or jaw, leading to loose skin, who knows.

If you’re going to judge from looks, then the youngest person for his age I’ve seen is Dr David Sinclair. He has been taking high doses of resveratrol for many years, and looks very young without a single gray hair at 50. And he grew up in Australia where the harsh sun tends to age ones skin much faster.

But I don’t see people here doing that, since Ray Peat doesn’t approve of resveratrol, or estrogen like substances (I personally am unsure about resveratrol, but RP seems quite off to me with his views on estrogen so wouldn’t surprise me if resveratrol was mostly beneficial).
Wow, for 50 Dr. Sinclair looks excellent.

mitochondrial-theory-of-aging-professor-david-sinclair-mp4-00_02_14_17-still001-1024x538-jpg.13481

He's still only 50, though.

I don't think he looks fine for someone promoting a diet for optimal health and longevity. If a layman, then he would look average or slightly below.

Here are other personalities for comparison.

Mark Sisson, a promoter of the paleolithic diet at age 65:

sddefault-jpg.13482

Neal Barnard, promoter of a plant-based vegan diet, aged 65:

hqdefault-jpg.13483

Dr. Peat, promoter of the transcendent Over-man diet at the age of 82:

screen-shot-2014-11-13-at-10-58-20-pm-copy-copy-jpg.13484

Loren Cordain, advocate of the paleolithic diet, aged 68:

download-jpg.13485

President Bill Clinton; consumer of the bean-vegetable-and-fruit diet; enlisted recruit on the starship Enterprise at the age of 72:

bill-clinton-696x377-1-jpg.13486

President Donald Trump at the age of 72; favorite bedtime snack is steak and ice cream.
gallery-1492448877-trump-april-jpg.13487

Those who eat a plant-based diet have apparent skin inelasticity and a sunken, gaunt appearance.

Attachments

• Mitochondrial-Theory-of-Aging-Professor-David-Sinclair.mp4.00_02_14_17.Still001-1024x538.jpg
    Mitochondrial-Theory-of-Aging-Professor-David-Sinclair.mp4.00_02_14_17.Still001-1024x538.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 2,562
  • sddefault.jpg
    sddefault.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 2,460
  • hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 2,420
  • Screen+Shot+2014-11-13+at+10.58.20+PM+copy+copy.jpg
    Screen+Shot+2014-11-13+at+10.58.20+PM+copy+copy.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 2,390
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 2,366
  • bill-clinton-696x377 (1).jpg
    bill-clinton-696x377 (1).jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 2,367
  • gallery-1492448877-trump-april.jpg
    gallery-1492448877-trump-april.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 2,342
Last edited:

yerrag

Is this a gay GILF thread?

From your posts @DaveFoster it sounds like you’re practically dying, and you’re not even 30. Are you really sure you wanna be calling old grandpas on their diet and disparaging their appearance?
Are you new to this forum LiveWire? Calling people out on their looks because they advocate a certain lifestyle is pretty common when you hang around here. That's been done on other notable people as well.

LiveWire

Just because it’s common doesn’t make it any less abnormal. It does a great disservice to the forum. It’s right out there with ‘Cigarettes are pro metabolic’ and ‘Could 10 liters of milk a day be giving me diarrhea?’ threads.

Last edited:
OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Just because it’s common doesn’t make it any less abnormal. It does a great disservice to the forum. It’s right in there with ‘Cigarettes are pro metabolic’ and ‘Could 10 liters of milk a day be giving me diarrhea?’ threads.
Try Reddit instead. It's more up your alley. You can more easily police the conversation with the voting system there.

Last edited:

Fractality

That's plausible. He believes that as low as 3.5% of calories as protein would be low but nevertheless sufficient for an adult, which would be around 20 grams for most and of grain-protein.

Okinawans, who have the highest concentration of centenarians of any population, eat primarily sweet potatoes, which, unlike other starches, provide very high-quality protein, and they also eat small amounts of animal products.

In that photo he reminds me of my father who has progressive supranuclear palsy.

Try Reddit instead. It's more up your alley. You can more easily police the conversation with the voting system there.
Yeah, it seems like this guy is only here to make fun of people and try to inject "common sense" into the discussion. Anything "strange"( to mainstream view) seems to be completely crazy and worthy of bashing to him.

In that photo he reminds me of my father who has progressive supranuclear palsy.
I think the amount of calories is another factor. In one of his old newsletters, McDougall mentioned that he could eat lots of food, and, therefore, he had to restrict the amount of calories he ingested( I believe he was gaining weight even eating mainly starch). A permanent caloric deficit will eat away your muscles and will probably degenerate the brain, not to mention that, if he was gaining weight just by eating to apetite, then surely his hormones weren't in order(hypothyroidism comes to mind).

Was gonna comment and say that Sinclair looks amazing, hes by far the best one ive seen. His Joe Rogan podcast is pretty good, he talks about how he does it with nmn, reversatrol, and metoformin.

The big thing for me is the mood , like I was watching bernard on the silicon valley videos and he seems like he was pretty angry / miserable or something, emotional health is just as important, if your old and having a terrible time your having a terrible time

Vinny

Here's a snapshot of him at 72 years of age. He looks like an 82-year-old with dementia. It might have something to do with his diet of vegetables, beans and corn.
View attachment 13478
The photo is descent and he does indeed look as aged and worn as one could be, let,s be honest!
We don,t know, however, how,s his general health, strenght, stamina, flexibility, bowel m/nts, body temp, does he get the boners every morn etc etc etc., so it,s hard to judge. I wouldn,t put him on the cover of a health article, tho, no matter what.

B. Clinton looks like a dead man, sure.

Gregger - look his arms size, it says everything.

Mr Trump had medical check recently and was given excellent, and i believe that might be true. He,s got some bags under eyes, but he,s 72... Plus, with a woman like Melania, one MUST stay healthy...

Sisson is most probably on the juice.

jack kruze doesnt look too bad in the terms of his face aging but his body has put on some poundage in recent times, so for that one im out lmao

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals