Is Ray Peat Even Healthy?

Eric Yim

I have heard that he has gone through periods with hyper and hypothyroidism on the peat diet. What does his blood work look like? I am not trying to get into an argument with anyone but I am sincerely wondering.

michael94

I think his teeth almost fell outone time because of something he was trying. He earned every bit of his knowledge and thats why I respect him.

He was born on October 12, 1936 so he'll be 82 this year. If he made it to 82 and still has his brain function and can walk etc. and also avoided the top killers of heart disease and cancer up until that point then I would say yes he is healthy. I believe he's been taking thyroid hormone since the late 1970's so in my opinion a true Peatarian is someone who takes thyroid. Just eating for thyroid "metabolism" is not enough, if you want to be like him. Contrary to what a lot of people like to say about health and longevity nowadays, making it to his age is a good thing and should be appreciated. Centenarians are extremely rare. Most people don't make it to 82 never mind 82 in a functional state. I view Peat's lifestyle as something that worked for him as I do with any person who's laid out what they've done over the last few decades. You can take bits and pieces of what people have done and try it for yourself. You may not get the same results though which is why it's important to know what you're doing and have a good understanding of what health really is.

Last edited:

SOMO

Ray Peat seems to be a stable, strong, coherent and organized organism.

He's not a competitive bodybuilder.

I think too many people are searching for PERFECT HEALTH but don't acknowledge the commitment and obsessive work that must require to achieve. I'm fine with my health being "great" but not perfect, I'm also fine with not having a six-pack 365 days of the year.

SOMO

I have heard that he has gone through periods with hyper and hypothyroidism on the peat diet. What does his blood work look like? I am not trying to get into an argument with anyone but I am sincerely wondering.

m5KybKK.png

OP
Eric Yim

Eric Yim

He was born on October 12, 1936 so he'll be 82 this year. If he made it to 82 and still has his brain function and can walk etc. and also avoided the top killers of heart disease and cancer up until that point then I would say yes he is healthy. I believe he's been taking thyroid hormone since the late 1970's so in my opinion a true Peatarian is someone who takes thyroid. Just eating for thyroid "metabolism" is not enough, if you want to be like him. Contrary to what a lot of people like to say about health and longevity nowadays, making it to his age is a good thing and should be appreciated. Centenarians are extremely rare. Most people don't make it to 82 never mind 82 in a functional state. I view Peat's lifestyle as something that worked for him as I do with any person who's laid out what they've done over the last few decades. You can take bits and pieces of what people have done and try it for yourself. You may not get the same results though which is why it's important to know what you're doing and have a good understanding of what health really is.
Why would a healthy person need to take thyroid medication?

OP
Eric Yim

Eric Yim

I think his teeth almost fell outone time because of something he was trying. He earned every bit of his knowledge and thats why I respect him.
Yes, I also have the utmost respect for him. He is a savior!

goodandevil

I think he only takes thyroid during the winter. Staying healthy while young and getting healthy, from sickness, when older are two very different things. It's good to question.

michael94

I think he only takes thyroid during the winter. Staying healthy while young and getting healthy, from sickness, when older are two very different things. It's good to question.
Young people can be very unhealthy

ilikecats

Lol Ray Peat said he has as many erotic dreams as when he was in his 20s. Lol I’m in my 20s and I almost never have erotic dreams. Yes peats in good health

ilikecats

What I’d be interested to see is if he has all his blood work in the ideal ranges that he talks about. You know for prolactin, tsh etc

sladerunner69

Lol I just fact checked that guy on the right and it's true, he died! I used to watch his ridiculous videos for a good chuckle now and then. The comments on his youtube videos are legitimately hilarious, he has about 1 million followers but at least 50% of them are trolls who know him better as "**** piano"

sladerunner69

Good question. I think for Peat a big part of his thyroid use comes from decades of living with a lower metabolism and feeling unwell. Him feeling weak and sickly is part of what got him passionate with nutrition in the beginning. By the late 70's he was already at least 40 years old, and 4 decades can really degrade the metabolism and make it weak. So he uses it to elevate his thyroid level to what he describes is a strong youthful metabolism.

Furthermore, using thyroid has numerous benefits, which are systemic. Many people who take it do so because they see improvements with few drawbacks. Of course there are causes for concern such as going into hyperthyroidism but even then we see many people feel not too bad even when in a hyper state. What I am trying to explain succinctly is that even a person in great health with a good metabolism, pulse around 70-80 and solid temps can benefit from thyroid hormone.

RisingSun

Lol I just fact checked that guy on the right and it's true, he died! I used to watch his ridiculous videos for a good chuckle now and then. The comments on his youtube videos are legitimately hilarious, he has about 1 million followers but at least 50% of them are trolls who know him better as "**** piano"

His dying at such a young age is most likely due to the use of recreational drugs and off label misuse of prescription medications more than it is due to his AAS abuse. Potentially also an insulin overdose, which is easily lethal.

I see the consequences of AAS and GH abuse everyday in my practice, and they do lead to chronic renal and liver disease, but to die at such a young age from such induced chronic diseases is extemely rare.

Acute AAS overdosing isn’t lethal. Acute aspirin overdosing is lethal. People need to start understanting this.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals