Is Obesity 100% OPTIONAL?

Is being obese 100% optional?

• Yes, obese people choose to eat too much and are too sedentary.

• No, you can be obese even if you don't eat a lot and live healthy

Results are only viewable after voting.

freyasam

Nothing adds to a discussion, like name calling with made-up words including profanity.

Exactly

I brought up real points. You addressed none of them and instead complained about a mildly profane, asterik-ed word and accused me of making up words. So how are you adding to the discussion?

BTW "ablesist" is in the dictionary, and here's a study from 1993 on fat-phobia. So the word has been around for at least 25 years. But if you prefer size discrimination or fat hatred, be my guest.

Fat phobia: measuring, understanding, and changing anti-fat attitudes. - PubMed - NCBI

freyasam

It's often said that everyone should be free to do what they want as long as they don't harm others. But when an obese person walks in the street, they ruin many people's days. Overweight people are an offending sight that no one should be exposed to in a public space. It's inconsiderate and morally questionable to look appalling and do nothing about it.

I carefully avoid going to the town during busy hours because all the ugly, overweight people with poor posture loitering around would put me in foul mood. These people are enemies of humanity. They revel in ***t. People of such low quality should be released of their pain.

Wow. This is the most hateful, un-compassionate comment I've read on the internet in a while. If it ruins your day to see a person with a low metabolism simply existing, then you have some serious issues that nutrition won't help you with. You must be miserable to have thoughts like that, and probably have more than a fair share of hatred of your own body.

inthedark

It's often said that everyone should be free to do what they want as long as they don't harm others. But when an obese person walks in the street, they ruin many people's days. Overweight people are an offending sight that no one should be exposed to in a public space. It's inconsiderate and morally questionable to look appalling and do nothing about it.

I carefully avoid going to the town during busy hours because all the ugly, overweight people with poor posture loitering around would put me in foul mood. These people are enemies of humanity. They revel in ***t. People of such low quality should be released of their pain.

If seeing someone you regard to be unattractive is enough to ruin your day it might be time for you to find a good therapist. Also agree with the above poster that this comment reveals way more about your own damage than anything else. Putting it in an RP framework maybe you've got some high estrogen/serotonin happening? Sounds like a lot of misplaced anger and frustration/helplessness.

Prosper

Wow. This is the most hateful, un-compassionate comment I've read on the internet in a while.
You must not use internet a lot.
You must be miserable to have thoughts like that, and probably have more than a fair share of hatred of your own body.
Sounds like a lot of misplaced anger and frustration/helplessness

I am fine, thank you. I vent my mind in controllable manner on various forums. It's cathartic. It's healthy. It's free. No harm done. You may skip over it if it's not your thing.

tara

I vent my mind in controllable manner on various forums. It's cathartic. It's healthy. It's free. No harm done.
It's abusive bullying and harmful to targets and bystanders and I think you should stop doing it.

freyasam

I am fine, thank you. I vent my mind in controllable manner on various forums. It's cathartic. It's healthy. It's free. No harm done. You may skip over it if it's not your thing.

You're saying you want me and my kind to cease to exist. You're saying you want me to die.

"No harm done"?

Merely the sight of an obese person is enough to ruin your day, but being told I'm an enemy of humanity and should be "put out of my pain" does no harm?

Your words are very harmful to me.

Last edited:

inthedark

You must not use internet a lot.

You're targeting a certain group of people with hateful words, saying they should die etc etc. It is harmful.

There certainly are healthy outlets for your catharsis, but a forum full of people who are looking for help and empathy isn't one of them. I suggest that you get a therapist or write it down elsewhere.

cyclops

How can someone skip over your hateful rant until after they've read it? You need to learn some compassion dude. "Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about."

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

Becoming overweight or obese is rarely a conscious choice. The only class of obese people that I can name that deliberately set out to be obese is Sumo Wrestlers, though there may be others.

I think a lot of seriously obese people suffer from medical problems that basically make them Obese, such as taking Prednisone, or an inability to produce Leptin, or some condition that causes massive edema.

No doubt calories play a big role, and many people can exert some control over their weight in the short to mid term, but it seems like a lot of issues that make people overweight or obese by default would be almost impossible to change (high stress lifestyles, iron fortification, dietary PUFA, awful dietary guidelines).

X3CyO

Everyone has their own vices and knowledge, and upbringings.
I dont think theres anything wrong with obese people, but I do think they tend to get misguided information telling them to eat less and exercise more rather than fixing the usual hypothyroidism.

Eating healthfully can be expensive depending on what youre being told is good too.

It should just come down to being open to questions and maybe telling them that, and being the best person you can be.. rather than forcing information onto them... which is probably more of a reverse psychology thing. Nobody likes being told what to do. Especially in regards to ones own problems.

Beyond a certain point it could be considered a byproduct of a mental disorder or a response to an inescapeable stress.

Terma

People certainly overeat and I would say that is true in most cases, however the weight gain is disproportional to the food intake in also most of them.

Even mainstream is accepting this, from their p.o.v. because of gut glora and because of inflammation maintained they think mostly by macrophages in the adipose and even liver tissue; and most scientists moved on from this relative ages ago.

I will not waste any more words on this topic, but you did trigger me a little in the back of my mind, achievement unlocked.

teds

Forum Supporter
This thread smacks of a dude who has never gained fat..

boxers

I lived wih a few obese people over the years. Everyone was consuming a massive amount of calories. Some hide it very well and most are in denial about how much they eat..

Lyall

willpower is beautiful but the sad reality is that life force ends up getting sacrificed for the ideal, with recourse only to come later in the form of wisdom. So willpower is destined to lose without wisdom ...

In the case of dieting this would be like starving oneself at the expense of the health/function of the organs as fat is burned
Like this aphorism

Tenacity

Everything's optional if you know the solution to change whatever situation is in question, but it's not otherwise.

tara

Everything's optional if you know the solution to change whatever situation is in question, but it's not otherwise.
Yes.
And in this case, the solutions needed are about how to get thin people to stop bullying fat people, and to stop telling fat people they know the 'solution' to the 'problem' of them being as they are, and get on with basic respect, health care and civil rights.

Ulysses

This thread smacks of a dude who has never gained fat..
I have met lots of severely underweight ectomorphs, with terrible metabolisms and constant mood swings, who try to reinvent their dysfunction as a virtue and accomplishment. It's the other end of the "beautiful at any size" spectrum.

A very close friend of mine is 5'10" and has never weighed more than 140 lbs. He developed psychological issues with food at a young age, and as we got older, he started suppressing his appetite with black coffee and cigarettes in order to avoid eating, never ate breakfast, etc. He couldn't change his habits, partly because he didn't want to give up on his lean, "shredded" look, so in his early 20s he burned out spectacularly. I talk to him on the phone every once in a while, but he's still stuck in our hometown, with nothing really going on in his life, and he strikes me as the perfect exemplar of what happens to even a competent, intelligent person if they have to deal with a chronic unavailability of energy.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals