Is Losing Bodyfat The Most Important Thing?

Xisca

@Lianda Hashi is special. Your article is good and explains well why I don't bother with studies! The fact that some physical features are shamed is also real and I am sorry for it. It goes beyond weight.

Still, I can see some people struggling to move themselves and that would love to loose weight if they could. You also help people to loose weight, and in some cases it can be emotional. I am sure there are many other reasons. I have also come across a woman who ate so little, and could not loose, until she went to a clinc where they told her she was underfed and her body was just storing as much as possible, just because of the shortage of food! She re-learned to eat more little by little....

If it means that you solve the problems that are at the root of bodyfat accumulation, then the title of the topic makes sense. Losing for losing makes no sense.

Edit: thanks @managing , instead of losing I learn!

Last edited:

managing

@Lianda Hashi is special. Your article is good and explains well why I don't bother with studies! The fact that some physical features are shamed is also real and I am sorry for it. It goes beyond weight.

Still, I can see some people struggling to move themselves and that would love to loose weight if they could. You also help people to loose weight, and in some cases it can be emotional. I am sure there are many other reasons. I have also come across a woman who ate so little, and could not loose, until she went to a clinc where they told her she was underfed and her body was just storing as much as possible, just because of the shortage of food! She re-learned to eat more little by little....

If it means that you solve the problems that are at the root of bodyfat accumulation, then the title of the topic makes sense. Loosing for loosing makes no sense.
Because I know English is your second language:

"Loose" rhymes with "Moose".

"Lose" rhymes with "Booze".

Where you are writing "loosing" you should be writing "losing".

This kind of statement is not only untrue, but adds an ignorant "scientific" explanation to use to blame and fat-shame people who are heavier.

Let me start by saying that actuary tables, the way that insurance companies determine how long people are going to live and if they will pay out, shows that people who are 5 pounds UNDERWEIGHT will have a shorter life than someone who is up to 70 pounds OVERweight. And FIT overweight people live longer than fit underweight people.

There are so many reasons that people are heavier than what is the acceptable fashion right now - and some of the reasons are because of genetic inheritance. Others are from toxins in the environment- plastics in the water and food. There are also issues covered in the ACE long term study that shows the way that children are brought up until age 6 has a huge impact on their health and weight in adult life.

With regard to this supposed character flaw of heavy people: the vast majority of women I know have been on a CHRONIC DIET-under-eating their entire lives. That is responsible for damaging their metabolisms and slowing them. They get to a point where you cannot eat less and exercise more - even to lose a couple of pounds. Then if they do, there is a rebound when your BRAIN naturally focuses you on eating, being tired just to get your weight back up to a set point which is now higher than where you started. Diets fail for 95% of the population. Do you think that 95% of the population has no control? Because I know that is NOT true from my own experience. Yes, I am overweight, I have been a chronic under-eater my entire adult life - and I even had a happy childhood. But I have Hashimoto's. And even after going gluten free, and eliminating grains I didn't lose an OUNCE.

Want to see evidence about under-eating- read The Minnesota Starvation Study done by Ancel Keys. (and these guys were eating a lot more than what most women eat on a diet).
Weight is a much more complex issue than "eat less and exercise more" - and unfortunately, what "everyone knows" is not what is necessarily true, as I explain in my blog post: Ice-cream causes drowning.

I'm not a fat shamer because I couldn't care less is someone is fat or not. When I talk about body fat, I'm only talking about the reality of the human organism. People can do whatever they want.

I know about the Minnesota starvation experiment. It's not surprising. That's what happens when you don't eat enough sugar or starch, like Peat said, you use your own muscle tissue for energy because you're not eating enough sugar or starch. That has nothing to do with having excess body fat. Those are two different subjects.

"Unfortunately, I dieted when I really didn't need to (effects of media encouraging women to be excessively thin)"

"I saw there was a men's issue category... what about WOMEN?"

Now I see why you were so quick to call me a fat shamer. Typical leftist mentality.

The fact that so many people want to lose excess body fat shows human nature. Just look at the hundreds of threads in this one forum. People want to lose fat. It's the number one thing people want to do health wise in the country, according to polls. But according to people like you, it's "the media's" fault. If being fat was so great in all on your sides opinion, then why even question it? Why even talk about it? Why join in on a thread that's talking about fat loss? That is the problem with leftists, you guys refuse to accept human nature.

No. It's more often than not a good sign, but that's not saying much, as it can also be a disastrous sign or just plain unhealthy. Context matters.

dbh25

Let me start by saying that actuary tables, the way that insurance companies determine how long people are going to live and if they will pay out, shows that people who are 5 pounds UNDERWEIGHT will have a shorter life than someone who is up to 70 pounds OVERweight.
I doubt it.

EIRE24

This kind of statement is not only untrue, but adds an ignorant "scientific" explanation to use to blame and fat-shame people who are heavier.

Let me start by saying that actuary tables, the way that insurance companies determine how long people are going to live and if they will pay out, shows that people who are 5 pounds UNDERWEIGHT will have a shorter life than someone who is up to 70 pounds OVERweight. And FIT overweight people live longer than fit underweight people.

There are so many reasons that people are heavier than what is the acceptable fashion right now - and some of the reasons are because of genetic inheritance. Others are from toxins in the environment- plastics in the water and food. There are also issues covered in the ACE long term study that shows the way that children are brought up until age 6 has a huge impact on their health and weight in adult life.

With regard to this supposed character flaw of heavy people: the vast majority of women I know have been on a CHRONIC DIET-under-eating their entire lives. That is responsible for damaging their metabolisms and slowing them. They get to a point where you cannot eat less and exercise more - even to lose a couple of pounds. Then if they do, there is a rebound when your BRAIN naturally focuses you on eating, being tired just to get your weight back up to a set point which is now higher than where you started. Diets fail for 95% of the population. Do you think that 95% of the population has no control? Because I know that is NOT true from my own experience. Yes, I am overweight, I have been a chronic under-eater my entire adult life - and I even had a happy childhood. But I have Hashimoto's. And even after going gluten free, and eliminating grains I didn't lose an OUNCE.

Want to see evidence about under-eating- read The Minnesota Starvation Study done by Ancel Keys. (and these guys were eating a lot more than what most women eat on a diet).
Weight is a much more complex issue than "eat less and exercise more" - and unfortunately, what "everyone knows" is not what is necessarily true, as I explain in my blog post: Ice-cream causes drowning.
Did you have hashimotos before dieting or was this a result?

schultz

I think it is good to question whether or not the fat loss is going to be beneficial or detrimental. Assuming the individual is relatively healthy and assuming the person uses the principles touted on this forum, I do believe the fat loss would be better. There are actually no studies on fat loss using the ideas from this forum. This is not about being underweight on the BMI or about starvation, this is about sensible fat loss. The way most people lose fat is probably not going to be ideal, so I can see why some data would indicate that it is unhealthy to reduce. I would recommend calorie counting, not just to ensure that you're eating in the range that you'll lose fat on (instead of spinning your wheels) but also to ensure that you are not under eating. Also, it's important to know whether you are getting enough micro-nutrients since you're in a caloric deficit and at risk of not getting enough nutrients.

I assumed that's a given. Of course I do not want to ruin my health in order to lose body fat. That would be stupid. I meant that if a person does not have any other major health problems (they have good temps, sleeping good, etc) should losing body fat be there priority if they have too much body fat.

Given your scenario, I would think so. An unhealthy person with extra fat might want to fix their health first before embarking on a fat loss journey (raise metabolism, gain some muscle), but assuming the person is healthy and has a decent amount of muscle, I think losing the body fat would be a good next step.

I think impatient people trying to lose fat too quick are the ones who damage themselves ( crash diets )

I agree. Crash diets vs. the type of diet you were talking about earlier in the thread are completely different.

managing

I'm not a fat shamer because I couldn't care less is someone is fat or not. When I talk about body fat, I'm only talking about the reality of the human organism. People can do whatever they want.

I know about the Minnesota starvation experiment. It's not surprising. That's what happens when you don't eat enough sugar or starch, like Peat said, you use your own muscle tissue for energy because you're not eating enough sugar or starch. That has nothing to do with having excess body fat. Those are two different subjects.

"Unfortunately, I dieted when I really didn't need to (effects of media encouraging women to be excessively thin)"

"I saw there was a men's issue category... what about WOMEN?"

Now I see why you were so quick to call me a fat shamer. Typical leftist mentality.

The fact that so many people want to lose excess body fat shows human nature. Just look at the hundreds of threads in this one forum. People want to lose fat. It's the number one thing people want to do health wise in the country, according to polls. But according to people like you, it's "the media's" fault. If being fat was so great in all on your sides opinion, then why even question it? Why even talk about it? Why join in on a thread that's talking about fat loss? That is the problem with leftists, you guys refuse to accept human nature.
Its possible your hammer is not well-suited to fixing (answering) this question . . .

Steve

Losing fat, while maintaining muscle, is most likely going to result in better health & a better life.
This is one of those things where I don't care what studies a person comes up with; I'll go with common sense on this one.

fradon

If you have no other immediate health problems?

I've been reading how fat cells contain allot of estrogen. And we all know PUFA is bad and accumulates. So should figuring out how to get lean be a person's priority?

if your a man and getting older then yes...more fat= more aromataze= more testosterone being converted to estrogen= more muscle loss and more fat deposits=high estrogen which has been linked to prostate cancer and some other stuff but that is the big one for a healthy man.

ddjd

If they have a strong liver, no problem, they will do great. I do not know for dairy fat, but just I know that coconut is metabolised differently.
Bile flow is absolutely essential. I do better if I take a lot of olive oil in an orange juice 1st thing in the morning, and wait before eating real breakfast. I removed my gall bladder pain. It is a sort of small liver flush. Of course I dose what tastes ok, and shake strong, as a vinaigrette dressing. I think it works also if you use it with a salad. I soak the well cut salad in it in advance, makes it softer. Very tasty sweet salad!
Do you mean olive oil in large quantities got rid of gall bladder pain. I've had this aching and sore gall bladder pain for 5 days. Can't get rid of it. Maybe I should try olive oil

Xisca

Do you mean olive oil in large quantities got rid of gall bladder pain. I've had this aching and sore gall bladder pain for 5 days. Can't get rid of it. Maybe I should try olive oil
Yes it works for me. No fat at all in the evening to accumulate bile. Take malic acid or drink a lot of apple juice. Next morning, juice some oranges and add virgin oilve oil. Mix or shake and drink. I cannot tell you quantities. I think i get half bowl. Like 3 juicy ornges and then pour 4 seconds the oil. you can use any citric fruit. according to how you feel you can modify. it is actually good but i drink glou glou fast. the citric mixes the oil to make it easier.

Xisca

About hashi = auto-immunity: I have seen many examples of people healing from auto-immune disorders, including ulcerative colitis and rheumatism from psoriasis, so the worse form of pso, by turning to a stric carnivore diet! It was the last diet they could think of, but they knew in one month trial that it was their solution.... The truth is that they were reacting to plants and fibers and also to carbs... If nothing else cured you, try it!

MrSmart

About hashi = auto-immunity: I have seen many examples of people healing from auto-immune disorders, including ulcerative colitis and rheumatism from psoriasis, so the worse form of pso, by turning to a stric carnivore diet! It was the last diet they could think of, but they knew in one month trial that it was their solution.... The truth is that they were reacting to plants and fibers and also to carbs... If nothing else cured you, try it!

The easiest way to heal autoimmune is a beef diet. Not even greens are allowed.

dbh25

Yes it works for me. No fat at all in the evening to accumulate bile. Take malic acid or drink a lot of apple juice. Next morning, juice some oranges and add virgin oilve oil. Mix or shake and drink. I cannot tell you quantities. I think i get half bowl. Like 3 juicy ornges and then pour 4 seconds the oil. you can use any citric fruit. according to how you feel you can modify. it is actually good but i drink glou glou fast. the citric mixes the oil to make it easier.
This is the same mixture as the Moritz liver flush, except you drink apple juice for 6 days prior and have a colonic.
Do you pass stones after drinking it?

Xisca

The easiest way to heal autoimmune is a beef diet. Not even greens are allowed.
Yes, this friend is still not able to tolerate liver. Eggs a little. But he does not bleed any more, and he does not faint in pain anymre!
It is possible to use other meat, but ruminants are the best, as they process food better. Pork is not so good and has to be fermented or marinated.
Fish is usually ok.
The most surprising is that vitamine c nor fiber are vital!

Glad somebody knows the diet!

Xisca

This is the same mixture as the Moritz liver flush, except you drink apple juice for 6 days prior and have a colonic.
Do you pass stones after drinking it?
Not exactly, because I take much less and more days. It just flushes better the bile from the little sack better than the normal diet.
I invented this after of course the moritz protocole but also a japanese old doctor who said he was drinking some orange juice with oil every morning... I noticed it was enouogh to remove the weight on the right side.