Is Losing Bodyfat The Most Important Thing?

Broken man

Higher protein intake, protein utilization, sugar utilization, liver support, building muscle and avoiding ffa blocking chemicals could help.

Ray is talking about women in that post. Also he said heavier body weight, no more body fat is better, which goes along with many studies showing maintenance of lean mass into old age is one of the best predictors of longevity.
" In the resting state, muscles consume mainly fats, so maintaining relatively large muscles is important for preventing the accumulation of fats.” Ray Peat
The higher the body fat percentage the higher amount of aromatase, because the fatter you get the more PUFA you will have in tissues.

I agree.

Not sure what men should have. But if they are already overweight, what should men or women do?

Tarmander

I think we could at least agree that losing 30lbs, and then after a year or two gaining it back is a travesty. Which would make me think that finding out how to not be fat would be a better then how to lose fat. The first would proceed the other.

If you're in a high stress job like nursing and you lose 30 lbs with IF or calorie restriction...aren't you just setting yourself up for horrible health outcomes down the road?

Broken man

DIgestion-
the main things involved in gastric acid production are peptide hormones (enough protein), sodium chloride, potassium chloride, and CO2...so have enough protein, potassium and salt (sodium chloride, not baking soda) mainly...and don't be dehydrated. You also just need enough raw energy to produce CO2(thiamine, caffeine) that can be split and used in HCL production. If you are already low, it can be hard because you obviously need to digest energy to then produce energy. I think milk could actually be a good tool if you are fine with lactose. If not, decoct (boil in water and strain) cacao powder or nibs or something with a lot of potassium, coffee could be helpful but sometimes it is too strong...gauge it by taste (fruit might be hard if the digestion is already low, and fiberous food), add a bit of cane sugar and pinch salt to help. Carrot juice, though not recommended long term or in large amounts, is actually a really good tool to rebuild digestion...tons of potassium, some sodium and chloride, easy to digest...some protein but youd probably want something else in addition.

You gotta keep in mind though, you cant just fix digestion and expect it to stay fully firing, you kind of have to get into a flow of consistenly keeping it up...basically through diet is the main way. Stress can temporarily lower it, but if it was already strong to begin with it will spring back as or almost as strong after the stress subsides...where as if it was low to begin with, even lowering stress wouldn't bring it up to par

+ taurine for protein utilization, bile acids,
-https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/weight-loss-is-achieved-by-amino-acid-ratios.6217/#post-73991
- Taurine Blocks Methionine Absorption
- How Taurine May Treat Diabetes
- Taurine Prevents Insulin Resistance Caused By PUFA
- Protein High In Glycine And/or Taurine May Prevent Obesity

+ caffeine for liver and weight loss
+ zinc to improve t4-t3 ratio
+selen same as zinc
+ overall higher protein intake induce weight loss
+ saturated fat for stable sugar, fat slow digestion so you will be full longer and you can eat less
+ digestive enzymes
+ b1 and b2
+ pregnenolone The Anabolic Effects Of Pregnenolone

Last edited:

TripleOG

Lol Martin Berkhan isn't the best example of health. He's just shredded. He has displayed mental instability a few times which boiled over in 2013 after falling out with other big names in online fitness and took a hiatus. He posted a long rant at that time complaining about the industry hopping on the IF bandwagon he brought attention to (entitlement), without the scientific scrutiny he applied. He wanted to release a Leangains book, but was beaten to the punch when "The 8 hour diet" released. Apparent helplessness ensued, and he bowed out the limelight for quite some time.

T

tca300

I agree.

Not sure what men should have. But if they are already overweight, what should men or women do?
Lose it slowly. While eating a good diet, and using aspirin and a good vitamin E. I think impatient people trying to lose fat too quick are the ones who damage themselves ( crash diets )
When a person is pretty overfat, it takes a very long time, and obviously patience to get the fat off.
Going through a several year weight loss journey might be incentive to not get overfat again in the future.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

Vitamin E is important during fat loss because it protects from released PUFA

Do you know how exactly Vitamin E does this? Does it destroy the evil PUFA when it meets it?

Whatever it is, the question is, if you are TOO FAT, is it BEST to lose the fat. And I contend it is not unless you lose it very, very slowly and very carefully.

So you contend that it IS best to lose body fat if you do it the "right" way.

Today's message is always "lose weight and you will solve your problems" but I think it's "lose weight and you will be in worse health" 95% of the time.

Well, if people lost it "very, very slowly and carefully", then they'd be in better health. So they should los it the "right" way.

This is NOT arguing that being fat is good. But once fat, becoming thin is not usually the answer.

I'm trying to point out that you seem to say that fat loss is good, but it must be done a certain way. It seems you believe that most people don't know the "right" way to lose fat, so they will damage themselves. You may be right and I'd even agree. But you still do believe that people who have too much body fat should lose it the "right" way (a way they may unfortunately not know). So it is lack of understanding how to properly lose fat that is bad, not the losing of the fat.

. For example, young women who are overweight have better outcome of breast cancer (a lower incidence of breast cancer) than those who are underweight.

I could see overweight people dealing with cancer better the underweight people. . But we are not talking about underweight people, but healthy weight people with muscles and lower body fat. And were not talking about those dealing with cancer either.

avoiding ffa blocking chemicals could help.

Like what?

+ saturated fat for stable sugar, fat slow digestion so you will be full longer and you can eat less

I think you gotta cut the saturated fat out of your diet to a large extent and just deal. Very low fat diet to lose body fat. Maybe a little coconut oil to raise metabolism. I know Peat said the coconut oil made him drop weight (Im guessing body fat)

+ digestive enzymes
+ b1 and b2
+ pregnenolone The Anabolic Effects Of Pregnenolone

How much you think is good?

+ taurine for protein utilization

How much?

ol Martin Berkhan isn't the best example of health. He's just shredded. He has displayed mental instability a few times which boiled over in 2013 after falling out with other big names in online fitness and took a hiatus.

Can't someone's personality just be a little off? They can be really healthy but just be not perfect behavior? Also someone could seem the nicest guy but unhealthy.

Last edited:
OP
cyclops

cyclops

While eating a good diet, and using aspirin and a good vitamin E

Is aspirin really good when loosing fat? That an niacinamide are supposed to block FFA. Is that what you want when your goal is fat loss? Maybe it is. Maybe aspirin becomes more important when trying to lose weight. Want to clarify.

jitsmonkey

Martin is a long time steroid user. I have no problem with that at all but it absolutely needs to be considered if you're going to use him as a model.

jitsmonkey

And cyclops you should just get to the BF u want to be at and see how u do. You really aren't asking a question here you're looking for affirmation of what you want. Most have given it to you. Just run with it and try it on for size. Report back with your findings. 100% serious no malice intended

T

tca300

Is aspirin really good when loosing fat? That an niacinamide are supposed to block FFA. Is that what you want when your goal is fat loss? Maybe it is. Maybe aspirin becomes more important when trying to lose weight. Want to clarify.
Aspirin might slow weight loss, but its very protective during.
And vitamin E protects from stored PUFA through several mechanisms.

T

tca300

Martin is a long time steroid user. I have no problem with that at all but it absolutely needs to be considered if you're going to use him as a model.
Proof?
Its interesting how every person who has an impressive physique is accused of steroids.

T

tca300

Lol Martin Berkhan isn't the best example of health. He's just shredded. He has displayed mental instability a few times which boiled over in 2013 after falling out with other big names in online fitness and took a hiatus. He posted a long rant at that time complaining about the industry hopping on the IF bandwagon he brought attention to (entitlement), without the scientific scrutiny he applied. He wanted to release a Leangains book, but was beaten to the punch when "The 8 hour diet" released. Apparent helplessness ensued, and he bowed out the limelight for quite some time.
Yup, what you said definitely proves hes mentally unstable and unhealthy. His social media accounts have been active from 2012 to currently, along with taking clients, so I dont know what your talking about. Also, he IS working on a book, he wants it to be good, so hes taking his time.

jitsmonkey

Proof?
Its interesting how every person who has an impressive physique is accused of steroids.

Oh just a reckless baseless
Claim. He's clearly not a long time steroid user. Just cheesecake, fasting & hard work.

Last edited:

TripleOG

Can't someone's personality just be a little off? They can be really healthy but just be not perfect behavior? Also someone could seem the nicest guy but unhealthy.

Absolutely.

Yup, what you said definitely proves hes mentally unstable and unhealthy. His social media accounts have been active from 2012 to currently, along with taking clients, so I dont know what your talking about. Also, he IS working on a book, he wants it to be good, so hes taking his time.

He's irrationally blown up numerous times on Lyle Mcdonalds forums, Facebook, bodybuilding.com forums along with the Leangains blog. He's since deleted the facebook and leangains post because they were a bad look. This all dates back to 2008. Maybe it was the increased irritability that comes with some of his practices. I'm just pointing out behaviors this community likes to equate with unhealthy. I was an avid follower of him, Lyle, and others in their circle for many years before all the low/no carb and IF'ing inevitably took its toll on my metabolism.

Last edited:
T

tca300

Absolutely.

He's irrationally blown up numerous times on Lyle Mcdonalds forums, Facebook, bodybuilding.com forums along with the Leangains blog. He's since deleted the facebook and leangains post because they were a bad look. This all dates back to 2008. Maybe it was the increased irritability that comes with some of his practices. I'm just pointing out behaviors this community likes to equate with unhealthy. I was an avid follower of him, Lyle, and others in their circle for many years before all the low/no carb and IF'ing inevitably took its toll on my metabolism.
Understood.