Is It Possible To Increase Your Intelligence?

bram

ray peat said that vitamin b1 (thiamine) can help you while studying, also fish oil would help increase your intelligence, what else can we do and what decreases iq?

CoolTweetPete

I doubt Dr Peat would recommend fish oil for cognitive enhancement as it is a PUFA oil, and most fish oil supplements are rancid, but I can attest that thyroid, B1, caffeine, and magnesium are all cognitive enhancers that Dr Peat has mentioned.

Sheik

In what way? Peat said that if you are chronically stressed your brain can lose mass, which will regenerate if you get back to a healthy state.

What kind of things were you wanting to do with the increased intelligence?

Come to think of it, I'd be afraid to be smarter. Too many things I just don't want to know.

artlange

Steve Richfield says when your body temperature rises to 98.6 from a lower level his IQ seemed to go up. I'm working on this for myself because my daily temp is stuck at 97.4, and my mental processes are a bit slower. B1 doesn't seem to overcome the low body temp.

Drareg

ray peat said that vitamin b1 (thiamine) can help you while studying, also fish oil would help increase your intelligence, what else can we do and what decreases iq?

iq tests will decrease your intelligence.
Urinating is a better test of general intelligence than iq.
iq over 100 is likely a good test for potential psychopath,human becomes more incoherent with nature/environment as score moves over 100,nature being the nurturer.

Getting hammered drunk will decrease intelligence.
Heroin will decrease intelligence,crystal meth etc
Western and eastern medicine will decrease intelligence.
Western and eastern educational systems in general will decrease intelligence.
Various items stuck in your colon/anus will decrease intelligence.
Having your house/country invaded and people raped for centuries by psychopaths will decrease intelligence for a period.

Your experiences within reality is what will increase intelligence,getting experience with the real world and not so much deluded authoritarians definitions of reality,symbols on paper created by another humans definition of intelligence is less intelligent than an infant putting stuff in its mouth to "experience"the world,the infant has fist hand experience of a plastic square,round ball etc ,the test taker has first hand experience of anothers definitions of reality.

Ever wonder why we don't see a programme of stories about the great achievements of Mensa? They should be changing humanity by now with all this higher intelligence within one club?

Prosper

Ever wonder why we don't see a programme of stories about the great achievements of Mensa?
Ha, do you think the people who perceive frequenting Mensa meetings as a wortwhile activity are the kind of people who have the patience, ambition and discipline to achieve greatness? Lack of these qualities is precisely what makes Mensa seem so alluring for otherwise high IQ people.

On top of being more capable of rationalizing their apathy, intelligent people are also more likely to understand the importance of defining subjective success for themselves. These definitions rarely align with common external definitions for success, which they have realized will often end up in personal regrets and disappointments.

Drareg

Ha, do you think the people who perceive frequenting Mensa meetings as a wortwhile activity are the kind of people who have the patience, ambition and discipline to achieve greatness? Lack of these qualities is precisely what makes Mensa seem so alluring for otherwise high IQ people.

On top of being more capable of rationalizing their apathy, intelligent people are also more likely to understand the importance of defining subjective success for themselves. These definitions rarely align with common external definitions for success, which they have realized will often end up in personal regrets and disappointments.

Why doesn't someone do a documentary on it do you think? Here we have the iq ranges in the 130+ and yet nobody does a study or tries to correlate it yet the flip side is correlate anything where low iq shows up.
The Mensa tests are more reliable than the tests administered in the past to different countries and cultures.
What we should see in this 130+ range is superior humans according to those who believe in "g".

If we don't see the above we then acknowledge as you mention the "drive" underlying energy to achieve is not there,but the iq apologists do acknowledge this for those of high iq,however when we question drive for those of low iq it's not allowed or we get particular on how drive is judged relative to low iq types.
So we see how incoherent this test is with reality,the drive and ambition implies a physicality to the world which many of them lack,this behvaior is incoherent with nature,why would nature give high intelligence without the physical capacity/energy to act it out?

Subjective meaning is relevant in all this,Mensa members can create a reality where they quietly believe they are superior and this can create delusion.
The problem is natures meaning,or the meaning of the environment outside humans,this environment potentially has a desire for humans as humans have a desire from the environment,the environment imo wants and needs humans to be physically intelligent (being) and coherent with the environment,the environment is stronger than humans,it contains more energy than humans,humans have meaning for the environment.

Picking up a pencil and filling out multiple choice questionnaire(iq test) is physical but with little depth,it's a form of human narcissism,staring into a piece of paper that reflects our own definitions of reality,limited.
The "idea" for a pencil and the physical act of creating it is true intelligence imo,we have yet to figure of where the "idea" comes from,we also now know the capacity for the creation of pencil was already within reality,some "body" pieced together this "already" potential within reality,so the environment gave the idea and your body applied the physicality to it.

People should do heroin and crystal meth than join Mensa,better "experience", what would the environment think of the behaviour.........

snowboard111

intelligent people are also more likely to understand the importance of defining subjective success for themselves. These definitions rarely align with common external definitions for success, which they have realized will often end up in personal regrets and disappointments.

Care to elaborate? I don't know why but I kind of understand it in opposite ways :astonished:

AJC

Three things:
1) Watch lectures or read books by people you view as "highly intelligent" (they should also actually be smart--not just in manipulating abstract concepts, but in running their life....and their ideas should make sense. You may be able to judge this by whether you feel grounded and good or ungrounded and agitated while listening to them. Also, understand it may take a week or more for you to actually "adapt" to what they're saying and begin to understand them.
2) And most importantly--Read "Science and Sanity"--the full book, not abridged. If you are serious about "increasing intelligence" this is probably the best thing you could do aside from eating well.
3) Exercise.

Herbie

Watching anything with Dave Asprey in it will make the average person feel like Albert Einstein.

Broken man

Creatine and magnesium are relatively weak IQ boosters. Taking T3, especially in combination with thiamine and niacinamide can probably make enough of a difference on your SAT scores (which are modified IQ tests) to push you from a B to A-league school. Just thiamine and niacinamide are probably good enough for a sporadic IQ boost. Peat said in a few articles that taking some extra thiamine helped him learned new languages.

The_xXx

1) phosphatidylcholin = repairing or sustain brainfunction
2) Iodine (t3)
3) more bloodflow to brain

L

lollipop

more bloodflow to brain
Yes! I have noticed yoga increases intelligence and this might be part of the mechanism - the other might be in helping to generate excess available energy for the system.

Prosper

Care to elaborate? I don't know why but I kind of understand it in opposite ways :astonished:
Well it of course is just a matter of perspective, but to elaborate on my previous post: success does not mean anything in a vacuum. It's just a relativistic concept. It requires context in order to point towards anything meaningful. What is success for an individual? Some will say something along the lines of money, power, fame, or whatever the collective around you views as general benchmarks for success. I could say that I'm successful because I'm on my way to the grave. Neither would be wrong. If you want to be successful, you first have to specify exactly what success means within the context of your subjective experience of the surrounding reality. Whether you choose to go by an external or internal definition is up to you. In my opinion, the latter is more beneficial for your overall wellbeing.

Queequeg

iq tests will decrease your intelligence.
Urinating is a better test of general intelligence than iq.
iq over 100 is likely a good test for potential psychopath,human becomes more incoherent with nature/environment as score moves over 100,nature being the nurturer.

Getting hammered drunk will decrease intelligence.
Heroin will decrease intelligence,crystal meth etc
Western and eastern medicine will decrease intelligence.
Western and eastern educational systems in general will decrease intelligence.
Various items stuck in your colon/anus will decrease intelligence.
Having your house/country invaded and people raped for centuries by psychopaths will decrease intelligence for a period.

Your experiences within reality is what will increase intelligence,getting experience with the real world and not so much deluded authoritarians definitions of reality,symbols on paper created by another humans definition of intelligence is less intelligent than an infant putting stuff in its mouth to "experience"the world,the infant has fist hand experience of a plastic square,round ball etc ,the test taker has first hand experience of anothers definitions of reality.

Ever wonder why we don't see a programme of stories about the great achievements of Mensa? They should be changing humanity by now with all this higher intelligence within one club?
Sorry results on IQ tests are highly correlated with objective measures of success in life. You don't hear about great achievements from Mensa members because great achievements in life are very rare. Therefore one can expect that the proportion of members in Mensa achieving greatness are also rare. Moreover Mensa is not that large of a group, around 130,000 members. However I would bet that they earn more on average than the average population. But more importantly people who do achieve greatness tend to have higher than average intelligence.