Is Betaine HCL A Safe Supplement?

Cheesecake

I used to play a lot of soccer and messed up my knees. They would hurt from running on pavement or creak when bending and would sometimes hurt for no reason. I was first taking MSM and that cured it but then I heard Ray say that MSM isnt so great. So I then switched to glycine and the pain and creaks have stayed away. So I cant really say glycine cured me, though it might have, but it does seem to help as I stopped the MSM a year ago.
That's a great outcome! Can I ask how much glycine you take daily? Thanks

OP
Queequeg

Queequeg

Betaine HCL and TMG are two different things, Betaine HCL is for low stomach acid, TMG is for high homocysteine
Betaine HCL is a salt of TMG and breaks down to HCL and TMG when in solution.

OP
Queequeg

Queequeg

Xisca

I have taken betaine, 1 cp per meal, from Lambert, but I have stopped, hopefully for a very good reason! I started to have stomach burn after taking it, so my problem of low acid might be over... I go on with the digestive enzymes of solgar, which contains very small amount of betaine HCl. I am alsobecoming fond of bromelain and papain... And I want to try taking this with gelatin, and see if it helps digest it. I think some people on the forum mentionned that it is not so easy to digest gelatine...

I think it is posible to take vit C with meals to get some more acid.
From personal try, I also think it is good to have a Little orange juice with the dressing of a salad. I take some green herbs that are good for stomach, typically bitter greens, and they are not bitter to taste if the dressing is good! I take dendelion and also a non bitter sort of cabage, cabage is supposed to help produce acid...

OP
Queequeg

Queequeg

I have taken betaine, 1 cp per meal, from Lambert, but I have stopped, hopefully for a very good reason! I started to have stomach burn after taking it, so my problem of low acid might be over... I go on with the digestive enzymes of solgar, which contains very small amount of betaine HCl. I am alsobecoming fond of bromelain and papain... And I want to try taking this with gelatin, and see if it helps digest it. I think some people on the forum mentionned that it is not so easy to digest gelatine...

I think it is posible to take vit C with meals to get some more acid.
From personal try, I also think it is good to have a Little orange juice with the dressing of a salad. I take some green herbs that are good for stomach, typically bitter greens, and they are not bitter to taste if the dressing is good! I take dendelion and also a non bitter sort of cabage, cabage is supposed to help produce acid...
thanks xisca! I already take enzymes but forgot that vitamin c also helps with the acid. careful on the cabbage as its anti-thyroid iirc

Xisca

careful on the cabbage as its anti-thyroid iirc
1 leave cannot do any harm I think!
Cabbage is not fine when used as a stapple, then it can be anti-thyroid.
The variety is called express cabbage, and is really good.

I you can find real good leaves, they really help stomach. I grow my own....
I have no fun with eating meat if I do not have some leaves to much with it!
I can even eat any piece of meat while "playing the rabbit" with fresh leaves in the garden... And when it is good, not some sort of "this is healthy" idea, even better!

ddjd

Betaine HCL and TMG are two different things, Betaine HCL is for low stomach acid, TMG is for high homocysteine
thank you. i read this whole thread thinking why has nobody stated the obvious that he's got these two supplements mixed up

x-ray peat

thank you. i read this whole thread thinking why has nobody stated the obvious that he's got these two supplements mixed up
Betaine HCL is just the salt form of TMG. When betaine HCL is in solution it dissolves back to TMG and HCL. So while betaine HCL does help with low stomach acid you also get a dose of TMG aka betaine at the same time.

Last edited:

Ron J

Does betaine hcl negatively affect stomach acid production in the long run?

ddjd

I've noticed a lot of symptoms I get from betaine HCL are similar to increased metabolism. so I suspect it's increasing thyroid in the body. very warm hands and feet, overall temp increase, faster pulse

Amazoniac

- The Importance of Stomach Acid and Pepsin | functionalfitmag.com

upload_2020-2-22_21-28-40.png

It's a piece of meat.

- enzyme activity ph pepsin trypsin amylase sucrase | Google Search

Last edited:

Mossy

I've noticed a lot of symptoms I get from betaine HCL are similar to increased metabolism. so I suspect it's increasing thyroid in the body. very warm hands and feet, overall temp increase, faster pulse
Interesting. The warm hands and feet have gotten my attention. Of all markers of my health success, I find that to be a key determiner. Are you still having success with betaine HCL?

@Amazoniac, stop treating me like a piece of meat--my eyes are up here. (actually, that is good information you provide--thank you)

davvid_1

Ive started taking Betaine to test my stomach acid, not planning to keep it long term. At the moment i'm on 4-5 pills with a meal, with still no side effects. Does this for sure indicate im not producing enough acid by myself?

I have no digestion or gut issues, but have symptoms of malabsorption so am just testing.

T

TheBeard

No, digestive enzymes, etc. are part of the exocrine system, not the endocrine system, there is no down regulation.

There is a feedback mechanism even for exocrine hormones and enzymes, you're confused.

Dave Clark

Feedback mechanism is not down regulation. When you drink liquids, your saliva gland doesn't slow down or stop working, neither do your tears in your eyes just because you took a shower, etc. Sorry, I am not confused, feedback maybe, down regulation, nope.

T

TheBeard

Feedback mechanism is not down regulation. When you drink liquids, your saliva gland doesn't slow down or stop working, neither do your tears in your eyes just because you took a shower, etc. Sorry, I am not confused, feedback maybe, down regulation, nope.

A feedback mechanism can elicit an upregulation or a downregulation, and that's what happens.
If you spray water in your eyes your tear production will actually up regulate as a result of you diluting the meibum that is essential to tear film preservation.
Liquids that you drink were never meant to replace saliva whose role is not to hydrate you but to digest whatever you ingest.

You are actually more confused than I thought as to how the body works.

Dave Clark

A feedback mechanism can elicit an upregulation or a downregulation, and that's what happens.
If you spray water in your eyes your tear production will actually up regulate as a result of you diluting the meibum that is essential to tear film preservation.
Liquids that you drink were never meant to replace saliva whose role is not to hydrate you but to digest whatever you ingest.

You are actually more confused than I thought as to how the body works.
Depends how your define regulation and feedback. Of course your body has feedback to speed up or slow down processes, but not shift gears in a permanent way, which is what down regulation is. I am not continuing this conversation with someone who thinks trichinosis is a health food. I am not confused about anything, by your concept anyone who eats raw foods with enzymes is down regulating their digestive glands production negatively, which is BS. Your the one confused, sell your bill of goods to another member here who likes your social dissonance.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals