Iron Overload Linked To Alzheimer Disease (AD)

haidut

Forum Supporter
I posted a few recent studies that finally start to make the connection between endotoxin, iron, and neurodegenerative conditions.
Endotoxin And Iron Finally Recognized As Potential Causes Of Many Diseases
Endotoxin (LPS) May Be A Causative Factor In Alzheimer Disease (AD)

Big Pharma is desperate for new leads given the absolute failure of all AD clinical trials since 2000 and the demise of the beta amyloid theory as a causative agent. This new study is yet another step in the right direction pointing to iron overload as a direct cause of AD. The medical profession has even coined the term "rusty brains" as a catchy phrase to point to role of iron in this pathology. I have seen a few other studies containing "rusty brain" in the title.
The new study also points to iron chelation as an effective method of preventing and even treating AD, and explains the beneficial effects of aspirin which were discussed in another thread last year. As per Peat's suggestions, copper supplementation may serve the same purpose as it can displace iron within the crucial enzyme cytochrome C oxidase, thus reversing the metabolic inhibition from excess iron.

‘Rusty’ brains linked to Alzheimer’s | Pursuit by The University of Melbourne

"...Cleaning out ‘rust’ from the brain could be a way to slow and even prevent the degenerative disease Alzheimer’s, according to new research that pinpoints iron as its so-far elusive potential driver. Previous research has long linked Alzheimer’s to a build-up in amyloid protein fragments in the brain that are normally broken down in healthy brains. But efforts to treat Alzheimer’s by using drugs that reduce amyloid levels have so far failed, leading to speculation that something else is driving the disease. New research from the Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health and the University of Melbourne has found that iron might be the culprit. Iron has a special property that allows it to exchange electrons, which is crucial in allowing our bodies to generate energy from oxygen and fuels such as sugars. But it can also damage neurons in the same way that iron metal rusts in the presence of oxygen."

Regina

I posted a few recent studies that finally start to make the connection between endotoxin, iron, and neurodegenerative conditions.
Endotoxin And Iron Finally Recognized As Potential Causes Of Many Diseases
Endotoxin (LPS) May Be A Causative Factor In Alzheimer Disease (AD)

Big Pharma is desperate for new leads given the absolute failure of all AD clinical trials since 2000 and the demise of the beta amyloid theory as a causative agent. This new study is yet another step in the right direction pointing to iron overload as a direct cause of AD. The medical profession has even coined the term "rusty brains" as a catchy phrase to point to role of iron in this pathology. I have seen a few other studies containing "rusty brain" in the title.
The new study also points to iron chelation as an effective method of preventing and even treating AD, and explains the beneficial effects of aspirin which were discussed in another thread last year. As per Peat's suggestions, copper supplementation may serve the same purpose as it can displace iron within the crucial enzyme cytochrome C oxidase, thus reversing the metabolic inhibition from excess iron.

‘Rusty’ brains linked to Alzheimer’s | Pursuit by The University of Melbourne

"...Cleaning out ‘rust’ from the brain could be a way to slow and even prevent the degenerative disease Alzheimer’s, according to new research that pinpoints iron as its so-far elusive potential driver. Previous research has long linked Alzheimer’s to a build-up in amyloid protein fragments in the brain that are normally broken down in healthy brains. But efforts to treat Alzheimer’s by using drugs that reduce amyloid levels have so far failed, leading to speculation that something else is driving the disease. New research from the Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health and the University of Melbourne has found that iron might be the culprit. Iron has a special property that allows it to exchange electrons, which is crucial in allowing our bodies to generate energy from oxygen and fuels such as sugars. But it can also damage neurons in the same way that iron metal rusts in the presence of oxygen."
:thumbsup:

Mufasa

They recommand Deferiprone as a way to detoxify the brain of iron build up.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
They recommand Deferiprone as a way to detoxify the brain of iron build up.

Aspirin and vitamin E can do the iron chelation much more safely. Incidentally, both of them protect from and treat AD (in animal models).

Kloppstock

My own conclusion is that Alzheimer's also ;) brings lack of iron in the body,
so i have recently added a half-capsule of iron in my multi-treatment drinks for mum because i was reading a crucial line in wrong context and moved my iron there since i wanna indirectly and partially support amyloid beta also, and then i was sure enough! (crying of laughter)

Im not going to be that grandiose that i will not double ;) check if im doing the right thing
relatively soon thanks to you questioning me, but i will not be surprised if im more right out than you (whole world)
Im trying to question myself enough to go deep on this case but im failing right now without your help!, and if that aint Alzheimer's then i don't know what is

Last edited:

Katia

@haidut what can I do to teenager with high iron? She went for a blood work ( the doctor didn't ask for iron levels). Her blood was very dark really. I was shocked. I was a doctor in Brazil. I've been in contact with Dr Peat's work recently. I was using a cast iron to cook beef.

redsun

@haidut what can I do to teenager with high iron? She went for a blood work ( the doctor didn't ask for iron levels). Her blood was very dark really. I was shocked. I was a doctor in Brazil. I've been in contact with Dr Peat's work recently. I was using a cast iron to cook beef.

Uhh... how do you know if she has iron overload if you never confirmed with tests...? Very dark blood when it is being drawn doesnt mean much. It comes from the vein when they draw blood and the vein carries deoxygenated blood so the blood will look darker red instead of brighter red.

As for the cast iron. Probably should avoid using that. But if we are talking about a teenager you do not chelate or unnecessarily restrict iron for a growing teenage girl. But again I dont even know if this matters seeing as you had no blood test to confirm iron overload.

Katia

Uhh... how do you know if she has iron overload if you never confirmed with tests...? Very dark blood when it is being drawn doesnt mean much. It comes from the vein when they draw blood and the vein carries deoxygenated blood so the blood will look darker red instead of brighter red.

As for the cast iron. Probably should avoid using that. But if we are talking about a teenager you do not chelate or unnecessarily restrict iron for a growing teenage girl. But again I dont even know if this matters seeing as you had no blood test to confirm iron overload.
Thank you. I mean something simple I could integrate in her diet or a little bit of a supplement.
Yeah. It was very dark. They took lots of blood. Maybe that could have helped. She even had bloovery fluidicd "epistaxe" at night.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals