Intermittent Fasting On Ray Peat

Mittir

RP really does not recommend T3 only to lower TSH. T3 is used up very quickly.
During sleep one can not nibble on T3 and that will cause TSH to rise.
He recommends combination of T3 and T4 to lower TSH and
to take T4 before bed.

leo

I did not mean to imply that the sole purpose of taking t3 would be for lowering of TSH. But in my experience it will happen.

Also, why take t4 when your own healthy thyroid is making enough? What's needed is a push for the conversion to happen, while lowering the cholesterol which is dangerously high.

Sometimes supplementing selenium or iodine of finding another cause, will fix this problem and the person is spared from a life time of taking pharmaceuticals.

I know Peat says the thyroid will bounce back, but I have yet to see that long term.

OP
T

Tcrazyjam

Hi,
unfortunaly my brother is going back to germany after 12 days.
But to buy supplements from the mexikan shop takes 14-24 buisness days or 10-12 with express.
is there any alternative in the us, to buy t3/t4?

Thanks

superhuman

i love the intermittent fasting or just eating fewer meals because its so easy to do esp for me.

Isnt it possible to increase metabolism and get all the benefit from a peat food "diet" while eating only 2-3 meals a day ?

As long as you are eating right and loosing fat and PUFA all is good ?

i find it really hard to eat few small meals a day in terms of practical and also in terms of calories.

leo

Superhuman: what do your temps look like when you are fasting? Are they above 98.6?

If anyone has fasted/lowered calories and lost weight while keeping temps high I sure would like to hear how they did it.

OP
T

Tcrazyjam

I will fast 24h by just drinking orange juice with water along with some proteinpowder and gelatine, 1-2 table spoon coconut oil... so I will have a calorie deficit of 2000 cal for one fasting day...
I do it twice a week (will lose 1 pound) and be patient if my temperature goes down...
I will keep you informed.

David

OP
T

Tcrazyjam

Ok, Update:

I've fasted 24 h by drinking one litre of orangejuice through out the day, and by eating 130 grams of dates.
I had a lot of energy, my temperature was pretty high.
I felt no hunger.
my proteinintake was only 10 grams,
fat 0,5 grams,
but carbohydrates 150 grams (lot of fructose), :!:

I think it was a nice experience. I will see if my morning temperature changes..

OP
T

Tcrazyjam

Oh, that helps a lot, thanks.
What minerals can i take?
calcium, magnesium?
And should i consume protein?

Mittir

He does not recommend fasting. He is simply stating that
alkaline minerals help with protein loss during fasting.
Calcium,Magnesium, sodium and potassium are alkaline minerals.

natedawggh

Intermittent fasting is a terrible idea. If it worked then I would be in perfect health, because I grew up Mormon and my parents made me fast a whole day once a month since I was eight years old. Instead it preceded a sensitivity to gluten and a propensity for weight gain and chronic fatigue (and I was captain of my high school swim team), which anyone who reads all of ray peat's or common sense endocrinology or clinical nutrition research would know about. You cannot stop eating without a severe rise in stress hormones, period.

pboy

I think it might be good to fast during significant working hours or stressful times, but relish and enjoy anything during calm periods, however that may end up applying to your life. Things that require little to no digestion like tea or spirits or soda are often fine even when under a bit of stress or working because they don't interfere with bodily resources so much

OP
T

Tcrazyjam

After the liver's glycogen is depleted, fasting destroys the tissues, starting with the thymus, then the muscles and liver.

I am just fasting 20 hours. Glycogen is not depleted in this time frame :?: I am also taking minerals such as potassium, magnesium, calcium with my water, as Peat suggests.

kiran

Tcrazyjam said:
After the liver's glycogen is depleted, fasting destroys the tissues, starting with the thymus, then the muscles and liver.

I am just fasting 20 hours. Glycogen is not depleted in this time frame :?: I am also taking minerals such as potassium, magnesium, calcium with my water, as Peat suggests.

Well, that would depend on how much glycogen you have stored (and how much your liver is capable of storing) wouldn't it.

OP
T

Tcrazyjam

Thanks. What would be a better choice?

Taking Thyroid and go for a 20% deficit on resting days and a maintenance on training days? So, i expend 2500 calories. That would be 2500 on training and 2000 on resting days.

Or should i take Thyroid occasionally when i am on maintenance days? :?:

Actually i want to quit fasting, because with thyroid it would be to stressful. I also quit cardio and just do some weight training for preventing muscle mass.

my nutrition is very good, i check with chronometer - i will try to eat liver twice a week & reduce iron by donating blood :!:

PS: I forgot, my cortisol is a bit too high

J

j.

Many people can't even sleep 8 hours before running out of glycogen and waking up stressed.

mt_dreams

People for example taking in a lot of oj & eating gelatin are not fasting, they are just taking in less food (or at least less kinds of food). Real intermittent fasting involves taking in no calories for large portions of the day. Obviously as Charlie note on the first post points out, this is definitely a Peat no-no. Since starting the peat protocols the closes thing I've done to fasting is a principle from the 'warrior diet'. That is, to eat fruit & fresh cheese (or milk) during the day with a large meal in the evening. This is not considered fasting in the true sense of the word, but I don't want to mess with cortisol, glycogen, etc, issues that usually arise with true fasting. Since I do better eating my meat protein earlier in the day, I don't do this often. It does come in handy though during days where I'm running around all day, and don't have time for a meat protein based meal.

If someone is in fantastic health, and can go long periods without sugar, without any adverse effects on blood sugar, body temp, cortisol, etc, then they can probably get away with not eating for stretches in the day. but this is not the norm, and would be dangerous to try for someone wanting to try and fix something.

If you have high cholesterol and high cortisol you are already trying to defend yourself from malnutrition or starvation. Count to 1000000 and then make a diet decision.

gretchen

Well, to kick off summer I decided I'd do a one day fast. What a waste of time; I feel like crap already.

Watson350

I have fasted inadvertently since I was a child. Unless I could eat breakfast at 11:30 noon I have had no interest in a meal before 12-1pm since as long as I can remember or ever since I had self-autonomy to do so. Pushing my meal back till two does not deplete glycogen stores. In fact this process takes far longer than 24 hours. There is no stress on the body, IGF-1 rises in all stages of the sleep cycle and continues until you eat your first meal; ironically it is an appetite suppressant perhaps why I chose never to eat till later in the morning or early afternoon. To say fasting is causing damage is like a black jack player stopping when they are ahead. It is all one long session in the long run and the house has a 2.6 percent advantage. Why not let the Igf-1 burn your fat and raise your tes for a little while longer before you partake in your first meal?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals