Intense Exercise Damages Cells In Ways That Cumulatively Impair Metabolism

sladerunner69

"Intense exercise damages cells in ways that cumulatively impair metabolism."-Dr. Raymond Peat

Anyone believe this is true and what exactly does he believe is intense exercise?

Marathon running? bicycling? What about weight training like heavy squats and deadlifts?

Tenacity

"Intense exercise damages cells in ways that cumulatively impair metabolism."-Dr. Raymond Peat

Anyone believe this is true and what exactly does he believe is intense exercise?

Marathon running? bicycling? What about weight training like heavy squats and deadlifts?

Prolonged aerobic exercise like running is my guess. It's why athletes have lower heart rates - the body lowers thyroid hormone as an adaptive response to the stressor, otherwise catabolism would be too much.

OP
sladerunner69

sladerunner69

Prolonged aerobic exercise like running is my guess. It's why athletes have lower heart rates - the body lowers thyroid hormone as an adaptive response to the stressor, otherwise catabolism would be too much.

Right, adaptive stress response. I heard someone theorize that aerobic excercise that is breif, maybe 10-20 minutes can actually increase resistance to stress because the body becomes acclimated to dealing with stressful circumstances. I figure as long as its not prolonged too long then the stress hormones wont have time to really build up.

Tenacity

Right, adaptive stress response. I heard someone theorize that aerobic excercise that is breif, maybe 10-20 minutes can actually increase resistance to stress because the body becomes acclimated to dealing with stressful circumstances. I figure as long as its not prolonged too long then the stress hormones wont have time to really build up.

I remember Peat explaining it that the stress from exercise catabolises the skeletal muscles, the breakdown of which releases cysteine, which slows the metabolic rate in order to prevent further catabolism. In theory this would mean the only safe exercise is that which builds muscle, as the anabolic effect would offset the catabolism (which is why Peat says weightlifting is fine, and sprints are okay, but endurance sports are best avoided).

Anecdotally, I lift weights regularly and still have a resting heart rate of 80-90 when I am healthy. My father on the other hand is a distance runner, and his resting heart rate is constantly in the low end of the 40s.

The key is finding the right balance between anabolism and stress level.

Regina

I am trying to gauge the balance too. Peat did say martial arts might be okay. Our 1 hour classes tend to have 10 minute bouts of intense activity involving an attack, a technique that results in either a throw or pin or both. We trade roles every 4x for usually about 10 minutes. We then kneel and listen/watch the teacher show what the next technique will be. It's a good time to slow down breath and collect oneself. Then we change partners when we get back up again. So on/off stuff with wildcard of who your next partner will be and doing what.
Before Peating I was very obviously catabolic when I did aikido. I'd shred weight at a ridiculous pace. But now I am definitely not catabolic since Peating. I could stand to lose a couple pounds around the gut. But I am muscular and rounder everywhere. I never had biceps anywhere near close to this. I'm not doing any exercise outside of 4 classes per week. I have a layer of muscle and fat all over me. More T n A.
The only thing that is troubling is whether or not it is okay to have my heart race as it does when I do a lot of throws. There is a clear (somewhat scary) adrenaline issue that I hope to improve with continued attention to thyroid and FFA restraint. Hopefully, aikido can be practiced in a non-damaging way.

OP
sladerunner69

sladerunner69

I am trying to gauge the balance too. Peat did say martial arts might be okay. Our 1 hour classes tend to have 10 minute bouts of intense activity involving an attack, a technique that results in either a throw or pin or both. We trade roles every 4x for usually about 10 minutes. We then kneel and listen/watch the teacher show what the next technique will be. It's a good time to slow down breath and collect oneself. Then we change partners when we get back up again. So on/off stuff with wildcard of who your next partner will be and doing what.
Before Peating I was very obviously catabolic when I did aikido. I'd shred weight at a ridiculous pace. But now I am definitely not catabolic since Peating. I could stand to lose a couple pounds around the gut. But I am muscular and rounder everywhere. I never had biceps anywhere near close to this. I'm not doing any exercise outside of 4 classes per week. I have a layer of muscle and fat all over me. More T n A.
The only thing that is troubling is whether or not it is okay to have my heart race as it does when I do a lot of throws. There is a clear (somewhat scary) adrenaline issue that I hope to improve with continued attention to thyroid and FFA restraint. Hopefully, aikido can be practiced in a non-damaging way.

I didn't know you did martial arts Regina? Let me guess, kung fu? Or maybe Brazilian ju jujitsu? Or perhaps you're more of a kicker and it's taekwondo?

I would like to do martial arts but one class a week is pretty expensive, 4 classes of week would be very costly.

What's T n A? The offbeat wrestling organization?

Regina

I didn't know you did martial arts Regina? Let me guess, kung fu? Or maybe Brazilian ju jujitsu? Or perhaps you're more of a kicker and it's taekwondo?

I would like to do martial arts but one class a week is pretty expensive, 4 classes of week would be very costly.

What's T n A? The offbeat wrestling organization?
I just do aikido. Usually the memberships are a flat monthly fee and it's all ya can eat. In a major city, it's usually $100 a month and there are a couple of classes offered everyday. So, I'm paying, what, $6.25 per class for world class level aikido?
You don't know what T n A are??:smirk:

OP
sladerunner69

sladerunner69

I just do aikido. Usually the memberships are a flat monthly fee and it's all ya can eat. In a major city, it's usually $100 a month and there are a couple of classes offered everyday. So, I'm paying, what, $6.25 per class for world class level aikido?
You don't know what T n A are??:smirk:

Oh cool I wish we had affordable aikido like that around here.

CoolTweetPete

I have heard Dr. Peat mention that well conditioned athletes have a higher threshold for lactic acid production. So there may be benefit to being at least somewhat aerobically conditioned.

I have also heard him mention walking up a hill at a good pace as a good form of mild aerobic exercise.

OP
sladerunner69

sladerunner69

I have heard Dr. Peat mention that well conditioned athletes have a higher threshold for lactic acid production. So there may be benefit to being at least somewhat aerobically conditioned.

I have also heard him mention walking up a hill at a good pace as a good form of mild aerobic exercise.

That's extraordinarily interesting. Thanks.

OP
sladerunner69

sladerunner69

L.A.!??? Ya kiddin' me.
(I'll do a little sniffin to see who is out there).

I actually live in the 'burbs. It's still LA county but right on the edge of it. We don't have any Aikido out here that I am aware of. What we do have is "Z" Self Defense Studios which seems like an americanized karate place, Hakido, brazilian jiujitsu (not a fan), kickboxing, some phillipino thing called "yaw-yan" and regular boxing

Regina

I actually live in the 'burbs. It's still LA county but right on the edge of it. We don't have any Aikido out here that I am aware of. What we do have is "Z" Self Defense Studios which seems like an americanized karate place, Hakido, brazilian jiujitsu (not a fan), kickboxing, some phillipino thing called "yaw-yan" and regular boxing
I hate those places. Hapkido garbage.
My friend is the founder here: Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association | Walk As A Warrior For All Your Days They are in Hermosa Beach but it's for people who really want to get their heads beat in. These guys have external enemies.

If you are in school, most universities have aikido clubs. Our Northwestern U has an excellent club. And we just got a new student from Cornell U aikido club. She's got a wonderful foundation.

OP
sladerunner69

sladerunner69

I hate those places. Hapkido garbage.
My friend is the founder here: Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association | Walk As A Warrior For All Your Days They are in Hermosa Beach but it's for people who really want to get their heads beat in. These guys have external enemies.

If you are in school, most universities have aikido clubs. Our Northwestern U has an excellent club. And we just got a new student from Cornell U aikido club. She's got a wonderful foundation.

Interesting. Yeah I dont think "Dog Brothers" is really up my alley, exactly. Im more interested in the Art and discipline and self defense skills, not the adrenaline rush from hand to hand combat.

Good recommendation, I go to a very small private university where there aren't many clubs.

Regina

Interesting. Yeah I dont think "Dog Brothers" is really up my alley, exactly. Im more interested in the Art and discipline and self defense skills, not the adrenaline rush from hand to hand combat.

Good recommendation, I go to a very small private university where there aren't many clubs.
Definitely kidding about the Dog Brothers. Oddly enough, I know the founder from a totally different context. Totally sweet guy in that context.

Me too with the art and discipline. It was my lucky day when I walked into my first aikido dojo.

Marathon running?

probably damaging the way most people train, but depends on one's form and recovery time

bicycling?

probably not damaging unless doing extreme distances with too little recovery time

What about weight training like heavy squats and deadlifts?

probably damaging if going to failure, but not so much if doing 5+ reps per set, using good form, and getting enough recovery between workouts

btw, does anyone have figures for Peat's max bench press/deadlift/squat?:D

Iron Man

This is really interesting... I am an avid weightlifter and have been for a long time. Not sure if I have the answers here, but I think not going too crazy and allowing yourself good recovery time after the gym is the key.

Mad

I believe intense exercise (while also under fueling) is what caused my hypothyroidism.
Since then, I have read that you should feel good before, during, and after exercise. I have adopted this motto to guide whether I'm pushing myself too hard, if I need a rest day, etc.
I definitely think that if you are not robustly healthy metabolically, the focus should be on supporting metabolism before you get back out there and push yourself in the slightest way physically.

Ahanu

It's why athletes have lower heart rates - the body lowers thyroid hormone as an adaptive response to the stressor, otherwise catabolism would be too much.
Not to forget that the higher co2 can also lower heart rate according to peat.
And because Estimated average stroke volume amounts range between 50 to 70ml at rest and Elite athletes have estimated stroke volumes between 90 to 110ml at rest there has to be a difference of the heart rate of course.

Last edited:

Aymen

I remember Peat explaining it that the stress from exercise catabolises the skeletal muscles, the breakdown of which releases cysteine, which slows the metabolic rate in order to prevent further catabolism. In theory this would mean the only safe exercise is that which builds muscle, as the anabolic effect would offset the catabolism (which is why Peat says weightlifting is fine, and sprints are okay, but endurance sports are best avoided).

Anecdotally, I lift weights regularly and still have a resting heart rate of 80-90 when I am healthy. My father on the other hand is a distance runner, and his resting heart rate is constantly in the low end of the 40s.

The key is finding the right balance between anabolism and stress level.
do you think that sprinting is a stressful exercice ? have you tried it? it makes m breathless ..

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals