In Defense Of Low Fat

EIRE24

Ray talks about the rabbit study where they shaved the backs of rabbits then fed them either a unsaturated diet or Saturated fat diet and exposed them to the sun. Skin damage, etc was only seen in the unsaturated group, and the saturated group still had healthy smooth, young looking skin. I think the higher the saturation the better, which is why I only use hydrogenated coconut oil. Even butter has a decent amount of mono and poly in it.

I wonder would this account for dry acne prone skin? Been running a low fat diet and starting to think my bad skin is from my skin being irritated and dry from either too low calories or too low fat?

superhuman

@tca300 get you. 120g is not high and should not be a problem in terms of raising prolactin i think. RP told me that 120-150g protein is enough and good for most athletes, so that is the highest we would go. Thats from good animal sources of protein. You can replace some with gelatin also, like 100g from milk and 50g from gelatin for example RP told me.

T

tca300

I wonder would this account for dry acne prone skin? Been running a low fat diet and starting to think my bad skin is from my skin being irritated and dry from either too low calories or too low fat?
I think poor thyroid function and not enough fat could predictably cause dry skin, especially if you go years on a very low fat diet. I did 8-15% fat for several years and my skin was dry. Adding 4 tablespoons of hydrogenated coconut oil to my daily diet, made my dry skin disappear practically overnight, although I wish I would have taken it slower because it also gave me digestive upset, probably because I hadn't had much Fat in a really long time. I get acne from skim milk, or if I'm not getting enough vitamin A. 1% milk with adequate vitamin A clears my skin up. Also constipation and dehydration gives me acne too.

EIRE24

I think poor thyroid function and not enough fat could predictably cause dry skin, especially if you go years on a very low fat diet. I did 8-15% fat for several years and my skin was dry. Adding 4 tablespoons of hydrogenated coconut oil to my daily diet, made my dry skin disappear practically overnight, although I wish I would have taken it slower because it also gave me digestive upset, probably because I hadn't had much Fat in a really long time. I get acne from skim milk, or if I'm not getting enough vitamin A. 1% milk with adequate vitamin A clears my skin up. Also constipation and dehydration gives me acne too.

I may try and increase fat a little or maybe calories in general might help. I never had a problem with acne before switching to a peat style way of eating. I don't drink milk at all and take vitamin A only at times. How much vitamin A do you take? It may be due to low protein also? I guess there are many variables...

T

tca300

I may try and increase fat a little or maybe calories in general might help. I never had a problem with acne before switching to a peat style way of eating. I don't drink milk at all and take vitamin A only at times. How much vitamin A do you take? It may be due to low protein also? I guess there are many variables...
Vitamin A needs are highly circumstantial. After months of experimenting I find I need about 15,000-30,000 IU's per day.

Ewelina

Interestingly, when I was eating a lot of raw butter (at least 100 gr. daily) for 2 months my skin got very dry and flaky. I couldn't understand it at all (and I still can't). I also put a bit on weight (3 kg.) and didn't feel that great in general. So now I'm embarking on a low fat diet and see how it goes.

EIRE24

Acne, libido, vision at night, etc.. Mostly acne though.

I find it weird that people here seem to need lots of vitamin A to get rid of acne but others say that it makes there acne worse? I guess it's individual?

EIRE24

Interestingly, when I was eating a lot of raw butter (at least 100 gr. daily) for 2 months my skin got very dry and flaky. I couldn't understand it at all (and I still can't). I also put a bit on weight (3 kg.) and didn't feel that great in general. So now I'm embarking on a low fat diet and see how it goes.

I thought eating more butter might make my skin less dry and flaky.

Ewelina

I thought eating more butter might make my skin less dry and flaky.

I thought so too. Could be too much fat in general. No idea. For sure there's an optimal level of fat that is needed for hormone synthesis and health but not necessarily more is better. I think you have to experiment and see what is best for you.

Last edited:

Ewelina

Also I forgot to mention, I got extremely smooth and silky skin when I started "Peat diet" over 3 years ago but my acne got much worse. Till this day I don't know what caused it. My best guess is potassium (silkiness not acne). My skin was literally shining. Unfortunately now I can't eat fruits anymore and my skin isn't so smooth, but nonetheless isn't too bad either. Also my acne is practically gone.

EIRE24

Also I forgot to mention, I got extremely smooth and silky skin when I started "Peat diet" over 3 years ago but my acne got much worse. Till this day I don't know what caused it. My best guess is potassium (silkiness not acne). My skin was literally shining. Unfortunately now I can't eat fruits anymore and my skin isn't so smooth, but nonetheless isn't too bad either. Also my acne is practically gone.

I showed high potassium in my last blood labs and my skin is flaky and dry so maybe it wasn't that. What made your acne go away?

Ewelina

I've cut a lot of fat (I was on a low carb high fat diet for 10 years) but most of all I've noticed that whatever gives me digestive problems makes my skin awful. For example, histamine is a big no no for me. All aged or fermented things cause breakouts. I never thought before Peat that digestion could be so important.

As for potassium, so maybe it was vit C from all that fruit. Also I was eating a lot of gelatine then, however I eat collagen now and I don't see this effect. It's really important to observe and experiment. I have a diary where I note everything health wise on daily basis. Sometimes I have to go back 2 or 3 days back to uncover a culprit of my malaise.

skycop00

All, do we have any studies or resources that show a LOW CARB DIET is detrimental to thyroid and or metabolism???

All, do we have any studies or resources that show a LOW CARB DIET is detrimental to thyroid and or metabolism???

This high fat HF diet was pufa rich. Hp stands for high protein.

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

The triiodothyronine (T3) declined more (P less than .05) following the HF diet than the HP diet (baseline 198 micrograms/dl, HP 138, HF 113). Thyroxine (T4) and reverse T3 (rT3) did not change significantly. Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) declined equally after both diets. The insulin level was significantly higher 30 minutes after the HP meal (148 microU/ml) than after the HF meal (90 microU/ml). The two-hour glucose level for the HP meal was less, 85 mg/dl, than after the HF meal (103 mg/dl). Serum triglycerides decreased more after the HF diet (HF 52 mg/dl, HP 67 mg/dl). Apparent benefits of replacing carbohydrate with polyunsaturated fat rather than protein are less insulin response and less postpeak decrease in blood glucose and lower triglycerides. The significance of the lower T3 level is unknown.

Effects of a high fat diet on thyroid activity, with special reference to thyroidal responses to cold - Springer

high fat diet caused a marked hypertrophy of brown and white adipose tissue, but no change in the weight of thyroid, while there was a significant decrease in the thyroid activity as indicated by low T/S ratio. Also, the 48-hr conversion ratio of131I to protein-bound131I (PB131I) was lower. However, plasma PB131I level in this group was not different from that in the control group of rats. At 20°C plasma PB131I levels were progressively decreased over a period of 48 hours in the control group, while in the high fat diet group the initial level was maintained throughout the period. In the control group cold exposure at 3° to 5°C caused a significant elevation of PB131I level, but later it decreased to the level at 20°C. In the high fat diet group the plasma PB131I was not influenced by the same cold exposure. Fractional turnover rate of131I-thyroxine was similar in the two groups. It increased significantly on exposure to cold in the control group, while it remained unchanged in the high fat diet one. These results suggest that a high fat diet has some depressive influence on thyroidal activity and the responses to cold.

skycop00

I will look into these thanks. I hate discussing this with the educated low carbers. I mean they judge success by lost pounds and if done right they do lose pounds and have new found energy in the early stages. I mean the onboard energy reserves of fat are far greater than CHO.

Luann

Ray talks about the rabbit study where they shaved the backs of rabbits then fed them either a unsaturated diet or Saturated fat diet and exposed them to the sun. Skin damage, etc was only seen in the unsaturated group, and the saturated group still had healthy smooth, young looking skin. I think the higher the saturation the better, which is why I only use hydrogenated coconut oil. Even butter has a decent amount of mono and poly in it.

Yeah I think it's odd when people say they avoid pufa and then eat lots of butter or even cheese or egg. My go-to is coconut oil and I'm trying to find Palm Kernel oil to buy.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom