If PUFA's Are One Of The Main Causes Of Aging, Why Don't Fruitarians Look Younger Than Other People

Gadsie

I think fruitarians are pretty interesting to look at, because fruitarianism is a well-known diet (much more known than peat), but still quite close to a peatarian diet. Mainly because of the extremely low pufa intake. Yet when you look at faces of fruitarians there's nothing impressive about it. They're always lean, but when controlling for leanness they look just as old (if not older) than other people their age.

This is Ted Carr (random fruitarian I found on youtube) and kinobody (guy who eats anything as long as it fits his macros). I don't know their exact ages but from what I could find they're both in their mid/late 20's and to be honest I think kinobody actually looks better.
ted carr
Kino Body

This is of course just one random example but also durianrider, a well known fruitarian is in his 40's and looks like any other stressed out 40 year old to me.

It's actually a bit discouraging because you'd expect that with an extremely low pufa intake these people should look younger.

encerent

Durian rider looks stressed because he is extremely stressed. He regularly does long distance bike riding and racing.

Buttercup

Which fruitarians are you referring to? So many variables to consider.

Durianrider does a lot of cardio (cycling, marathons, etc). Excessive cardio raises all kinds of stress hormones. Cortisol will make you look old real fast. He lives in Australia, so perhaps out in the sun a lot whilst 'pushing for the burn'. Being out in the sun a lot will age your skin like nothing else.

Also. Last time I checked his videos, he was travelling a lot (not living solely off this fruitarian diet he was initially promoting). So was eating noodles, low fat cereals and other low nutrition (quick, easy & convenient) starch based foods.

His 801010 approach still should be fairly pro metabolic, though (despite the lack of protein).

Kyle M

I would think they would be extremely starved of some amino acids, fat soluble vitamins, and yes even fats.

OP
Gadsie

Gadsie

Yes, there are many factors to consider, but on a ray peat forum we should all agree that avoiding PUFAs are the main idea of this diet, so all the other factors shouldn't mitigate the benefits of avoiding pufas. Peat has even said that when your body contains little pufas, you're more resistant to other kind of stresses

Buttercup

Yes, there are many factors to consider, but on a ray peat forum we should all agree that avoiding PUFAs are the main idea of this diet, so all the other factors shouldn't mitigate the benefits of avoiding pufas. Peat has even said that when your body contains little pufas, you're more resistant to other kind of stresses

Not sure I completely agree with that. PUFA restriction is paramount (agreed), but PUFA isn't the only toxin to avoid.

To suggest that over-exercising and excessive exposure to sunlight isn't going to take a toll on how the organism presents is a bit reductionist. Even if you are low PUFA, but your cortisol is still high (through whatever means), it will still destroy the quality of your skin.

There are also more toxins to consider than just PUFA. Mercury (and all the bad heavy metals) will all annihilate all aspects of your health.

duckfoot

If I remember correctly, durian rider was on a 30 bananas a day diet...bananas are not really peat-approved b/c they are way too starchy and will lead to bacterial overgrowth, high serotonin levels, a leaky gut, high cortisol and estrogen, inflammation, weakened immune system which will impair the body's ability to heal itself, fibrosis and then calcification of soft tissues...esp. if you're not getting enough calcium in your diet, which would be very hard on fruit alone

duckfoot

Buttercup's post reminds me that ray wrote directly about skin and cortisol "excessive cortisol causes osteoporosis, aging of the skin, damage to brain cells, etc. "

Travis

I would think they would be extremely starved of some amino acids...
Like methionine and tryptophan?
...fat soluble vitamins...
Perhaps, but not if you eat leaves. A pound of leaves would throw vitamin K into the red and vitamin A towards 2000% RDA. Vitamin E levels wouldn't get over 100%, but without PUFA ingestion you might not need much. Also, the massive doses of the other antioxidant quinones (vitamins C and K) would work to protect and regenerate vitamin E on the cell membrane.
...and yes even fats.
There's always durian, cherimoya, and figs. These fruits have a non-negligible amount of mostly saturated fat.

Tarmander

You really have to withhold judgement of people in their 20s and the lifestyle they lead. I have seen people who have done meth in their teens looking pretty good in their mid 20s. There is a genetic pathway where the body throws all of its resources at looking the best it can in its younger years in order to maximize chances of procreation. This would be when puberty hits early and the adrenal hormones dominate until burn out.

Also, hypothyroidism really does not start to show its damaging effects until later in life. As someone who is 30 and was probably hypo for many years, I can tell you, the wall does hit, and it can hit hard. But I looked awesome at 25. Look at people who are 40, 50, 60, 70, and then start to make judgements.

DaveFoster

I think fruitarians are pretty interesting to look at, because fruitarianism is a well-known diet (much more known than peat), but still quite close to a peatarian diet. Mainly because of the extremely low pufa intake. Yet when you look at faces of fruitarians there's nothing impressive about it. They're always lean, but when controlling for leanness they look just as old (if not older) than other people their age.

This is Ted Carr (random fruitarian I found on youtube) and kinobody (guy who eats anything as long as it fits his macros). I don't know their exact ages but from what I could find they're both in their mid/late 20's and to be honest I think kinobody actually looks better.
ted carr
Kino Body

This is of course just one random example but also durianrider, a well known fruitarian is in his 40's and looks like any other stressed out 40 year old to me.

It's actually a bit discouraging because you'd expect that with an extremely low pufa intake these people should look younger.
Because fruitarianism appeals to naturalistic dogmatists, and brain size correlates with lifespan.

Go have a look at the 30 Bananas a Day forum, and make up your own opinions: Discussion Forum

Travis

DaveFoster

And if you want a virtual prefrontal lobotomy, go to this forum: Mark's Daily Apple
I agree; Mark's Daily Apple has even less credibility because of their corrupted guise of scientism, whereas one quickly finds the 30 BAD crowd has no real substance behind their views on nutrition.

Travis

Yet when you look at faces of fruitarians there's nothing impressive about it.
There are some, like Annette Larkins and Roger Haeske.

I agree with the previous comments that Durianrider is highly-stressed. Besides the high physical activity, he is also an angry person. He's an ***hole.

Ninety years is basically the limit for anyone who wants to be an athlete, political activist, soldier, or intellectual. To live to be 110 I think you have to be kinda laissez faire and be very frugal with the adrenal glands.

Last edited:
J

James IV

My observation is that generally, a long term, extremly low fat diet, will result in low bodyfat, but most will be stored in the midsection in close proximity to the liver, since that is where it's being made. You will notice many fruitarian and ultra low fat folks will be lean, but still have a slightly softer lower abdomen. A diet with enough fat that de novo lipogenisis isn't up regulated, will result in more distribution of subcutaneous fat, since dietary fat can be stored directly.

More subcutaneous fat will make you look more smooth, less wrinkles. You will lose sharpness, but generally gain a more "youthful" appearance.

I don't know if either of them are better than the other, and how "good/bad" you look likely in reguards to your fat distribution, probably depends a lot on your bone structure.

Inadequate protein will cause the skin to lose elasticity faster as well, and this will be accelerated on a carbohydrate based diet, due to higher amino acid needs.

Kyle M

Like methionine and tryptophan?

Yes, and others. Fruits, like any plants, have a pretty poor profile for the protein synthesis needed to build animal tissue, which makes obvious sense when you think about it. I tried a fruitarian diet for over a year and lost a ton of muscle even eating huge, gut discomforting amounts of fruits. In my 20s mind you.

Perhaps, but not if you eat leaves. A pound of leaves would throw vitamin K into the red and vitamin A towards 2000% RDA. Vitamin E levels wouldn't get over 100%, but without PUFA ingestion you might not need much. Also, the massive doses of the other antioxidant quinones (vitamins C and K) would work to protect and regenerate vitamin E on the cell membrane.

The form of K and A in plants is either not usable by some or not usable by all (in the case of K it's totally different).

Travis

The form of K and A in plants is either not usable by some or not usable by all (in the case of K it's totally different).
Vitamin K₂ can be made from K₁ through a tail-switching procedure. This is the same isoprene tail that humans synthesize for CoQ₁₀ (although of a different length.)

Even if only 5% of β-carotene was cleaved by β-carotene monooxygenase, you would still have 100% RDA for vitamin A. In general, efficiencies are higher than this. This enzyme is under regulatory control, which limits the amount of vitamin A produced.
A diet-responsive regulatory network involving the intestine specific homeodomain transcription factor ISX has been shown to regulate the intestinal vitamin A uptake and production via a negative feedback control.
I can only see this as a good thing. Vitamin A is a powerful vitamin–hormone and its concentrations seem to be well-regulated in plant-eating species through the transcription of this enzyme. There are two nuclear receptors for vitamin A so it is easy to see how vitamin A levels can affect transcription of the BCMO1 gene, producing more or less β-carotene monooxygenase depending on the vitamin status.

Kyle makes a good point. There can be quite the variation in human β-carotene conversion efficiencies:
More importantly, the conversion efficiency of BCMO1 for β-carotene was 32% reduced in carriers of the 379V variant allele and 69% reduced in carriers of the 267S/379V variant allele compared to the wildtype.
(Pre-formed vitamin A might be a good idea for some people.)
Lietz, Georg, Jennifer Lange, and Gerald Rimbach. "Molecular and dietary regulation of β, β-carotene 15, 15′-monooxygenase 1 (BCMO1)." Archives of biochemistry and biophysics 502.1 (2010): 8-16.

Last edited:

Kyle M

Anything "can be" made from anything else, the question is how much and will it actually happen. Everyone "can make" all of the testosterone they need from cholesterol, which they can make from sugars.

michael94

The philosophy and simplicity of fruitarianism is appealing for sure. ( Not promoting it but with the people it's helped Iwon't knock it either ). I also don't buy this RDV RDA for vitamins b.s. isn't the word vitamin strange. Vita-min ( as in minimize ?? ). Lol. I'm not saying vitamins are bad but I think our understanding of what they are and how they work is cursory at best.

Btw I rarely eat fruit