I Miss The Warrior Diet (in Some Ways)

sprinter

Been Peating for about 4 years, before that I did the Warrior Diet Intermittent Fasting. I used to only eat in a 4 hour window, like 6-10 pm.

I think this totally goes against Peat right...Even if you're super healthy?

One thing I miss about it, is the ENERGY. I always get tired nowadays, especially after eating, which I dread. Honestly, I think having lots of energy is the most important and enjoyable thing for me.

Also the productivity. Not having to worry about eating until evening freed up so much time. I remember getting so much done. It was weird and nice to not hit that afternoon slump. Also I felt overall "sharper." Mind wasn't so cloudy.

Also, I kind of felt like a warrior lol. I worked all day and kept myself hungry and didn't and relax and feast until night. I bought into the whole philosophy that this is the natural order of things. I kind of still do. Eating all day seems a bit odd to me.

I'm tempted to try it again, but with Peat foods. Worst mistake ever?

Last edited:

Koveras

Been Peating for about 4 years, before that I did the Warrior Diet Intermittent Fasting. I used to only eat in a 4 hour window, like 6-10 pm.

I think this totally goes against Peat right...Even if you're super healthy?

One thing I miss about it, is the ENERGY. I always get tired nowadays, especially after eating. There is a part of me that dreads eating nowadays, because I know I will get tired after it.

Honestly, I think having lots of energy is the most important and enjoyable thing for me.

Also the productivity. Not having to worry about eating until evening freed up so much time. I remember getting so much done. It was weird and nice to not hit that afternoon slump. Also I felt overall "sharper." Mind wasn't so cloudy.

Also, I kind of felt like a warrior lol. I worked all day and kept myself hungry and didn't and relax and feast until night. I bought into the whole philosophy that this is the natural order of things. I kind of still do. Eating all day seems a bit odd to me.

I'm tempted to try it again, but with Peat foods. Worst mistake ever?

IIRC I believe in the book Ori mentions it is fine to snack on fruits during the day. Maybe try snacking on fresh fruits whenever you have the sensation of hunger throughout the day and eating the bulk of your calories as nutrient dense foods in that 4 hour window.

Herbie

I recall hearing Ray on a podcast mention something along the lines of that he suspects if a person isn't under much psychological stress and the liver was healthy that they could be ok with one main meal in a day but it came down to how well the liver was at storing glycogen.

OP
sprinter

sprinter

IIRC I believe in the book Ori mentions it is fine to snack on fruits during the day. Maybe try snacking on fresh fruits whenever you have the sensation of hunger throughout the day and eating the bulk of your calories as nutrient dense foods in that 4 hour window.

Yes he mentioned fruit, yogurt, milk, poached eggs, maybe some other things. So all somewhat Peat foods in small amounts during the fasting period.

But for me, I think if I ate anything during the fasting period, it would make me even more hungry. As if my stomach became ready for a meal if I introduced a little food, so I was better off with a complete fast.

I recall hearing Ray on a podcast mention something along the lines of that he suspects if a person isn't under much psychological stress and the liver was healthy that they could be ok with one main meal in a day but it came down to how well the liver was at storing glycogen.

Interesting. Did he say if that meal should be lunch or dinner? I think I remember him saying biggest meal should be midday when digestion is strongest or something like that.

Herbie

Yes he mentioned fruit, yogurt, milk, poached eggs, maybe some other things. So all somewhat Peat foods in small amounts during the fasting period.

But for me, I think if I ate anything during the fasting period, it would make me even more hungry. As if my stomach became ready for a meal if I introduced a little food, so I was better off with a complete fast.

Interesting. Did he say if that meal should be lunch or dinner? I think I remember him saying biggest meal should be midday when digestion is strongest or something like that.

From memory he didn't say specify which meal.

Kyle M

I did a Warrior Diet type thing, mixed with paleo, mostly raw meat, for a long time, and had a similar experience. The most consistent thing I did was skip breakfast, eat raw meat and fat for lunch, then the same for dinner sometimes with something else. I would feel more hungry after I started eating than before.

A.R

Yes. Terrible. Cortisol stress hormones kick in and in a year or so your metabolism is sh!t.

Maybe if a person supplements with Thyroid/androgens and eats gelatine/liver (other peaty food) with that main meal, they could manage to keep their stress hormones in check?

Once I manage to heal I personally plan on going back to one meal a day plan. I agree with sprinter you do be a lot more productive and feel a lot better.

However I think the key thing this time round will be to feel your bodies response. Maybe not do the diet for the whole week, but maybe just 2-5 times a week and actually give a chance for your stress hormones to come down (using peat tools).

whodathunkit

Funny. That's kind of the feeling I had between my personal experience and what I've read of Peat's work. Interesting that he actually said it.

Although who in the hell actually fits both those criteria now-days...?

Agent207

I use to eat 3 meals just under a 10-12hour window max. I don't like the idea of being constantly feeding the system, so better to keep the liver healthy.

Regina

Yes. Terrible. Cortisol stress hormones kick in and in a year or so your metabolism is sh!t.
Yea, I did a similar thing. Perfect Health Diet for maybe 3 years. Feeding window was like noon to 8pm. But I really often didn't want anything until afternoon. Felt great and energetic. Was lean and strong and didn't get sick. UNTIL, I tried to go back to training and rapidly looked like I had been in a concentration camp--poster girl for catabolism. Very happy to be done with that.

Maybe if a person supplements with Thyroid/androgens and eats gelatine/liver (other peaty food) with that main meal, they could manage to keep their stress hormones in check?

Once I manage to heal I personally plan on going back to one meal a day plan. I agree with sprinter you do be a lot more productive and feel a lot better.

However I think the key thing this time round will be to feel your bodies response. Maybe not do the diet for the whole week, but maybe just 2-5 times a week and actually give a chance for your stress hormones to come down (using peat tools).

I don't know. I don't think it sounds good at all. Ray's whole approach opposes high cortisol and this is a high cortisol approach. When I did the WD, I didn't eat at all during the fasting period. I suppose if you eat fruit and juice it's okay. But then, the liver likes protein...

PeatThemAll

... the liver likes protein...

Some more than others. Maybe Peating is doing its thing, but for now protein powders (even vegan) are starting to give me a nauseous feeling (which doesn't happen for the same # of grams of protein coming from meat, even canned). As the icon goes... Ray Peat right again!

A.R

I don't know. I don't think it sounds good at all. Ray's whole approach opposes high cortisol and this is a high cortisol approach. When I did the WD, I didn't eat at all during the fasting period. I suppose if you eat fruit and juice it's okay. But then, the liver likes protein...

I understand what you re saying, me personally though I would love to go back to that lifestyle. This time though, better equipped with more information and specifically ray peat information.

From what I've learnt from ray so far is that the main thing is to keep cortisol/stress hormones under control, and and from his work I've discovered some really fantastic tools to do so.

IMO if you are going to achieve something big in life, then stress hormones will inevitably go high. The most important thing though, is to get them back under control relatively quick, and by discovering peat ideas has made it look very possible.

You can still obviously other than the main meal incorporate coffee/healthy saturated fats/honey/Casein etc. And maybe thyroid/Androgens when feel need.

PeatThemAll

I'm doing something close to the WD nowadays. Not skipping meals, but breakfast and lunch are a portion of protein + 1 fruit/veggie, all spaced by 6 hours (I'll take a glucotab or a LifeSaver if I start having hypo feelings, usually 3 hours after a meal), then carb loading (low fat) at dinner. Then it's 12 hours fasting 'til 6 AM.

So far so good. Anybody had downsides doing something similar?

DaveFoster

I did a Warrior Diet type thing, mixed with paleo, mostly raw meat, for a long time, and had a similar experience. The most consistent thing I did was skip breakfast, eat raw meat and fat for lunch, then the same for dinner sometimes with something else. I would feel more hungry after I started eating than before.
I did the same thing; I always felt weird. Spacey and disassociated; maybe because I never ate with others.

When you don't eat gluten, people make fun of you.

But when you eat raw meat... they don't. It's a whole new level of social ostracism; they almost respect you for being such an outlandish badass.