I Don't Know What To Eat

Katelove

I started about a 6 weeks ago, doing OJ, gelatin, cheese, supplements, and more...I had a really intense menstrual cycle and a lot of swelling in my body...I pulled back....no more OJ and milk, stuck with the morning coffee with half and half, stuck with allowing more sugar in my diet, still taking most supplements...
I think I was taking in a LOT of fluids, plus extra salt made me totally swollen, especially my lower legs and fingers...
My daily temps are about 96.8. I decided to order Cytomel, I am waiting for it from Mexico. I am not sure what to eat though.
I have given up gluten. I believe I have Hashimoto's and my body is feeling better with no wheat...I do massage therapy and am sedentary otherwise...I get tired doing massage, but do feel good if I have energy and get a walk in the outdoors, under the sun.
I am looking for some suggestions about foods to focus on. My metabolism is very slow it seems and I hold a lot of water. I have a puffy face and a big belly. I have sleep apnea and am aware that my cortisol had gotten very high over the years that was undiagnosed...suffocating every night, which was spiking my cortisol...I still sleep with a cpap, but lately I have been waking up a lot. I wake up hungry since I was a teenager. I eat in the middle of the night almost every night.
Any insights? Suggestions?

Sup buddy,
Here are a few ideas: - Check out this thread by Charlie and the picture with many food choices.
Ray Peat Diet, Food Choices, And General Guidelines
ray-peat-final-food-choices-jpg.112

-Peat says 5 small meals a day is ideal. Also, around 8 oz of meat a day is fine. I forget what podcast he said this though.
You could try doing beef/lamb meats or seafood or liver or eggs with perhaps some veggies like mushrooms/carrots/potato/rice/or fruits etc whatever really is in that picture. Could do like 3 or 4oz per meat of proteins(meat) per meal. All depends on the amount you can eat I guess.
-Could eat like fruit or coffee's or milk product or fruit juice as snacks... meal/snack/meal/snack/meal etc.
-Load up on sugars before bed. Perhaps honey, or fruit, or a meal. Maybe add extra sleep things like glycine or pregnenolone or whatever helps u relax and keep some sugars near bed to eat when you wake up.

theLaw

These links should answer most of your questions:

Formula for calories

VoS uncoupling thread

This explains how to start to burn sugar instead of fat, and get rid of stored PUFA safely.

I am looking for some suggestions about foods to focus on. My metabolism is very slow it seems and I hold a lot of water. I have a puffy face and a big belly. I have sleep apnea and am aware that my cortisol had gotten very high over the years that was undiagnosed...suffocating every night, which was spiking my cortisol...I still sleep with a cpap, but lately I have been waking up a lot. I wake up hungry since I was a teenager. I eat in the middle of the night almost every night.

Progestene - Liquid Supplement With Progesterone

Specific food ideas:

To Haidut : What Do You Usually Eat In A Day?

A List Of Peat(ish) Junk Foods

My Theory on Digestion

Danny Roddy

Just keep in mind, that you will continue to experience health issues to some degree until you get rid of stored PUFA:

PUFA Depletion Can (probably) Be Accomplished In 30 Days!

Cheers!:D

Orion

This explains how to start to burn sugar instead of fat, and get rid of stored PUFA safely.

This is very important for most coming to Peat's ideas, they have insulin resistance and are stuck in fat burning mode(fatty liver, sluggish liver) To move away from burning fat primarily; B1, B3, aspirin and caffeine are very important to shift the balance to glucose oxidation. Also B5 is helpful at blocking fat metabolism as well.

I found that thyroid meds didn't help me, thyroid got my temps up, but I wasn't healing my problems. Since it was my liver having issues I wasn't shifting away from burning fat as my primary fuel.

Could be helpful to shift you to glucose burning, will bring up temps, get stress hormones down, should allow for better sleep (you can search the forum for explanations on why each helps):
B1: 100-300mg every ~3hrs
B3: 100-500mg spread throughout day
B5(pantethine): 300mg-900mg spread throughout day
Caffeine: Start low and work up tolerance; 200mg to 1200mg per day will help lean out liver and can correct liver fibrosis(higher amounts)
Aspirin: 1000mg first thing and 500mg every 4hrs will uncouple cells to use glucose, you can start low and work up, or jump right in
K2: help with aspirin 1mg per 325mg aspirin is a good start
Liver: small amounts weekly could be helpful
PUFA: keep very low
Vitamin A: helps create progesterone to oppose estrogen, topical ~5K to start

Adequate calories/sugar is needed to provide energy, restorative sleep requires lots of energy.

Some staples I use (all 0% fat versions): skim milk, cottage cheese, quark, greek yogurt, cooked mushrooms, honey, sugar, fruit(juice, cooked, jams, dried, ripe), instant coffee, haribo gummies, gelatin

Last edited:

Elysium

Regarding the picture above, that COKE and the SUGAR CUBES (btw why the "cane" emphasis there, it makes no difference) have no place there. That is not Peat. And the same could be said, to a lesser extent, of the potato.

CoolTweetPete

Regarding the picture above, that COKE and the SUGAR CUBES (btw why the "cane" emphasis there, it makes no difference) have no place there. That is not Peat. And the same could be said, to a lesser extent, of the potato.

I wouldn't say they have "no place". I would say the coke and the sucrose are not optimal sources of fructose (fruit would be preferable), but they have their place from a perspective of convenience. Potatoes have very high quality protein according to Dr. Peat, but he has given his perspective on the negative affects of starch (which can be mitigated).

theLaw

From a post by VOS from:

Ray Peat Diet / Protocol Name?

Here are Ray Peat's suggested daily allowances --- which Jennifer has coined (earlier in this thread) as the RDA (Ray's Daily Allowances) --- for the various Peatian foods and supplements, gathered mostly from email exchanges.

If you're gaining weight as bodyfat, or having other metabolic issues, just ask yourself, are you getting Ray's Daily Allowances?!!

UNCOUPLERS
  • Thyroid: 40 mcg T4/10 mcg T3 once a day; 3 mcg T3 every few hours. Chew it up before swallowing.

Coffee: equivalent of 18 cups regular strength, 4.5 cups at 4x strength

Aspirin: 1 gram either in morning OR at bedtime, .5 grams every four hours through the day

Sleep: 8-8.5 hours, sound without panic, nightmares, or frequent waking

Red light: 750 watts clear flood incandescent, as needed depending on season for a total of 15 hours daylight.

CO2/bicarbonate: supplement with breathing or ingestion as needed, until 5-6% in exhaled breath;
MINERALS
  • Magnesium: 2 grams spread over the course of the day, to bowel tolerance, preferably in milk (27 mg per cup) , coffee (7 mg per cup) or magnesium bicarbonate (~50 mg per ounce).

Calcium: 5 grams spread over the course of the day, to bowel tolerance, preferably in milk (305 mg per cup) or calcium bicarbonate (~35 mg per ounce).

Sodium: salt food generously to taste

Potassium: one quart of orange juice.
PROTECTIVE STEROIDS
  • Progesterone: men - one drop men (3 mg); women - three drops (10 mg). frequency: as needed to resolve symptoms, provided thyroid (and for men DHEA/testosterone) is also supplemented in balance.

DHEA/testosterone: men - trace amount (5 mg) mixed with drop of progesterone; frequency: every few hours as needed to resolve symptoms (i.e., low testosterone).
NAD+/NADH (anti-lipolytic)
  • Niacinamide: 250 mg every few hours

Aspirin: see above, uncouplers.
GSH/GSSG (Tissue oxidation)
  • Thiamine: 300 mg every few hours

DMSO/MSM: if needed for therapeutic purposes

Methylene blue: suggested dosage not yet referenced in Peat's email. Studies say 2 mg/kg of bodyweight is safe.
FAT
  • IMPORTANT: 0-2% unsaturated fat!!!

Coconut/MCT oil: a teaspoon several times throughout the day, depending on activity and energy requirements.

Egg yolks: for fat soluble nutrients, one or two, depending on bodyweight

Liver: for fat soluble nutrients, once a week, or every few days, depending on bodyweight
PROTEIN
  • 2-3g/kg of body weight, divided into doses every two hours.* More if very active.

Gelatin: 6 tablespoons a day (42 grams protein)

Nonfat milk/cottage cheese: the rest

Potato juice: if digestion is impaired.

Very lean meat with cartilage intact: occasionally.
SUGAR
  • At least equal to protein intake. More if high cortisol or adrenaline.

Orange juice: 1 liter per 70 kg of bodyweight; ripe, no pulp.

Nonfat milk (lactose) or fruit sugar (fructose): the rest
VITAMINS
  • A: 5,000 IU; increase as needed if high stress

D: 1,000 IU; in 5:1 proportion to Vitamin A.

E: 100 mg/70 kg bodyweight, increasing with age when iron stores increase [Edit per johns74: can in theory decrease to 0 when PUFAs and iron are minimal]

K2: 15-45 drops depending on liver function.
TRACE MINERALS
  • A few oysters once a week, or scallops.
ENDOTOXINS
  • Raw carrot; 1 per day, grated and then rinsed chewed well, with salt and coconut oil.

Activated charcoal: if digestive upset, 1/4 cup.

Here you go buddy:
Sarah: How much meat, grains, whole grains or legumes would be the maximum to eat in a day?

Peat: Probably something like half a pound would be tolerable.

Taken from KMUD: Phosphate And Calcium Metablolism (2012)

It's a contradicting statement especially with the grains and legumes in there.

"Muscle meats (including the muscles of poultry and fish) contain large amounts of the amino acids that suppress the thyroid, and shouldn't be the only source of protein.

When only the muscle meats are eaten, the amino acid balance entering our blood stream is the same as that produced by extreme stress, when cortisol excess causes our muscles to be broken down to provide energy and material for repair. The formation of serotonin is increased by the excess tryptophan in muscle, and serotonin stimulates the formation of more cortisol, while the tryptophan itself, along with the excess muscle-derived cysteine, suppresses the thyroid function.

If an enlarged gland does begin to secrete too much thyroid hormone, it can be controlled with tablets of propylthiouracil, or even raw cabbage or cabbage juice, and cysteine rich meats, including liver."

"Muscle meats (including the muscles of poultry and fish) contain large amounts of the amino acids that suppress the thyroid, and shouldn't be the only source of protein.

When only the muscle meats are eaten, the amino acid balance entering our blood stream is the same as that produced by extreme stress, when cortisol excess causes our muscles to be broken down to provide energy and material for repair. The formation of serotonin is increased by the excess tryptophan in muscle, and serotonin stimulates the formation of more cortisol, while the tryptophan itself, along with the excess muscle-derived cysteine, suppresses the thyroid function.

If an enlarged gland does begin to secrete too much thyroid hormone, it can be controlled with tablets of propylthiouracil, or even raw cabbage or cabbage juice, and cysteine rich meats, including liver."

the more concerning thing is that the high phosphate in relation to calcium.... will start to drive up the need for calcium hard..... thus pushing your vit D down and your PTH up.... very very bad news down the line from there.... need to think about this one big time

@op, check ur vit D

In your quote Peat does not give a weight amount, just that it shouldn't be the only source of protein which I did not say it should be the only source... but what amount should it be then, can you find an amount he quotes?
8oz was the best I could find, and I did not include grains or legumes in my recommendations.
Peat has mentioned he eats things like ribs, liver, and I think steak along with other foods when asked what he is currently eating. I don't know his amounts, though at his age it is probably less than 8oz.

8oz of beef is around 55g protein. So, around half of an average day's worth of recommended protein depending on the type of person. A low amount for some, and maybe high for others.
I've read quite a few people here are very active/athletic, myself included, and 8oz of meat in a day is easy to digest.
Of course context, and there are sick people here that 8oz beef would not be good for them.

Dobbler

That Peat picture food diagram thing from 2012 is outdated. Mangoes are not Peaty, neither are potatoes. And the seafood and ruminant sections are not daily foods.

She tried the part where VOS wrote OJ and milk and it's not working.

I doubt that.
Really seafood not daily? Ive been eating 200g shrimp daily for months, that amount has less than 0,8g PUFA.

Sucrates

Don't talk about potatoes that way. :hammer::jawdrop:

OP
Katelove

Katelove

Lol, ok, a bit confusing, seems not everyone agrees about what is best. It's always like that. Thank you all.
I just know I got very swollen when I was doing cottage cheese, OJ and milk in abundance, also, lots of salt...
So, I do resonate with more protein: eggs, some meat, some gelatin (but too much can lead to a herpes breakout for me - arginine)...some cheese too...I will add some OJ back in...I just got my T3 delivered...I will see how that goes, some supplements: Mg, E, aspirin, D, K2, C...but I don't take them all everyday. Coffee with 1/2 and 1/2...other things.
I think more shellfish will be good and tasty too...I do like potatoes too... I use some coconut oil and grass-fed butter. Mild exercise mostly fresh air and sun and a pleasant walk.
I am optimistic. I think I have Hashimoto's so I was reading about Low Dose Naltrexone...I am researching this now.

Lucenzo01

Megdoses of Niacin have been a miracle for me. Lysine, taurine and glycine should be staples for anyone's with digestion problems, as well as coffee and the fat solubles in the right quantities (always topical). It's not the food, it's the body where the foods goes. That's the problem. Restore stomach acidity and everything will go smooth. Good luck.

OP
Katelove

Katelove

Thank you Lucenzo01...Ok, I have done well on niacin before...topical fat solubles? D, E and A I think? But only topically? Ok, this leads me to a good question...I do massage, I wonder if I have been and still am at times absorbing these oils that are probably PUFA all these years?
I mostly use coconut oil now but at this spa I work at, I use what they buy...

Lucenzo01

Thank you Lucenzo01...Ok, I have done well on niacin before...topical fat solubles? D, E and A I think? But only topically? Ok, this leads me to a good question...I do massage, I wonder if I have been and still am at times absorbing these oils that are probably PUFA all these years?
I mostly use coconut oil now but at this spa I work at, I use what they buy...

The skin absorb things easily, so better be cautious and don't put thing on it that you would not swallow (maybe there are some exceptions lol).

Regarding the fat solubles, people with digestion problems tend to not absorb them. I can feel a world of difference between oral vs topical, being topical always superior. K2 megadoses with coffee are extremely good for the liver.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals