Hypothyroid Blood Test Results Help

Andy316

Dear Peat er's, I am a 35 yo male and new forum member. Recently got my blood test results as indicated below. Doctor says I'm borderline Hypothyroid but refrained from starting any thyroid medicines until after a new test is done 6 months later. Would be really grateful if you think I should try removing excess iron from my system through chelation techniques suggested in prior posts (Cilantro, Kimchi, Zinc, Milk). Also, I understand Hypothyroid is considerable slowing down of metabolic rate, what are some of best tried and tested techniques (Diet, Supplements) you can suggest to bring it back up.

HDL - 46 mg/dl (Range >40 Men)
Triglycerides - 79.4 mg/dl (Desirable <200)
Total Cholesterol - 186.4 mg/dl (Desirable <200)

Iron, Serum 73.95 ug/dl (45 - 60)

TSH - 4.74 mlU/L (Adults 0.27-4.2)

alywest

How is that borderline hypothyroid? I would find a new doctor, there are plenty even mainstream ones who would call that a hypothyroid lab. wtf? Also, have you considered donating blood instead of chelating? Peat has written about it in articles about iron. I would be careful with cilantro as it can also start to move mercury around in the system if you have fillings. Some people get drastically ill from taking the oil or even eating the leaves. Also, try drinking coffee with meals containing meat and other high-iron foods to block some of the absorption. Good luck!

OP
A

Andy316

Thanks Alywest. I will try coffee with meals and see if it helps. My other issue is dry (almost lifeless) and falling hair. I know this is a side effect of a underactive thyroid. Any good fixes for this? I have tried Biotin, Vitamin D and Zinc and although they have helped with less hair fall I certainly dont see any improvements with dryness and overall thickness of hair.

alywest

Thanks Alywest. I will try coffee with meals and see if it helps. My other issue is dry (almost lifeless) and falling hair. I know this is a side effect of a underactive thyroid. Any good fixes for this? I have tried Biotin, Vitamin D and Zinc and although they have helped with less hair fall I certainly dont see any improvements with dryness and overall thickness of hair.
Honestly, the only fix I know is taking thyroid supplement, and in my experience that necessitates taking t3 which you aren't going to get from an allopathic physician, even if your TSH was 1,000. I would check out mymexicandrugstore or look into experimenting with idealabsdc.com/tyromix which is a t4/t3 combination that you apply topically. You may even have some adrenal issues as a result of long term thyroid issues, so you might want to actually see an endocrinologist and have them do a full work up although many here would say that's pointless too. However, if you actually have low cortisol as I have had they may at least prescribe something for that like prednisone. Self-medicating with thyroid can be tricky but if you stick to the more t4 than t3 rule and don't go overboard on either then you should be ok. if you go overboard on t4 you will start to have very low cholesterol, so that's why I would proceed with caution and start with a very low dose. That's why idealabs' version is nice, each drop is a small amount but in the correct ratio according to Peat so unless you went crazy it would be difficult to overdo it.

Luckytype

@Andy316 that really sucks. A lot of us here have had the same experiences. I am a couple years your junior and went through 4 docs that were resistive and close minded. Until inplayed their game I was just slowly declining until I got specific test results and went on my own path to recovery.

There is a chance that supplementing thyroid may be the fix however, and either way, youre going to want to start really getting onto a nutrient dense diet now. Thyroid hormone is only part of it - quality calories, sunlight on skin and in eyes, easy maintainable exercise like walking, being cognizant of not breathing heavily(hyperventilation) even at rest are some of key things as well.

You can start by just scouring the forum and reading - diet support is absolutely critical when fixing thyroid.

dbh25

You should get an iron panel for a more complete picture before proceeding- iron, ferritin, %saturation, Tibc, etc.

tara

There is a chance that supplementing thyroid may be the fix however, and either way, youre going to want to start really getting onto a nutrient dense diet now. Thyroid hormone is only part of it - quality calories, sunlight on skin and in eyes, easy maintainable exercise like walking, being cognizant of not breathing heavily (hyperventilation) even at rest are some of key things as well.

You can start by just scouring the forum and reading - diet support is absolutely critical when fixing thyroid.
+1
Read up on how thyroid hormones work, start monitoring you body temps etc so you can monitor progress.
If you want to give a bit of an idea of what your lifestyle has been like, or any other clues about the possible causes of your low thyroid state, feel free to post them.
If you decide to get some thyroid from prescription or other means, start small and increment slowly. I'm no expert, but I get the impression that it's easier to increase the dose a little at a time than to figure out the tangle if you go to far too fast. T4 has a long half life (incrementing ~4 weekly can be reasonable). T3 has a shorter half life.

OP
A

Andy316

Honestly, the only fix I know is taking thyroid supplement, and in my experience that necessitates taking t3 which you aren't going to get from an allopathic physician, even if your TSH was 1,000. I would check out mymexicandrugstore or look into experimenting with idealabsdc.com/tyromix which is a t4/t3 combination that you apply topically. You may even have some adrenal issues as a result of long term thyroid issues, so you might want to actually see an endocrinologist and have them do a full work up although many here would say that's pointless too. However, if you actually have low cortisol as I have had they may at least prescribe something for that like prednisone. Self-medicating with thyroid can be tricky but if you stick to the more t4 than t3 rule and don't go overboard on either then you should be ok. if you go overboard on t4 you will start to have very low cholesterol, so that's why I would proceed with caution and start with a very low dose. That's why idealabs' version is nice, each drop is a small amount but in the correct ratio according to Peat so unless you went crazy it would be difficult to overdo it.

I agree with you. I will check on tyromix and see if i can get it shipped here in Australia.

Arrade

You need T4 for hair T3 isn’t good enough.
>4 TSH I would medicate

Idk what the issue is with chelating iron, but curcumin could be an option for you.
Has several benefits for hair and is pro-thyroid

OP
A

Andy316

@Andy316 that really sucks. A lot of us here have had the same experiences. I am a couple years your junior and went through 4 docs that were resistive and close minded. Until inplayed their game I was just slowly declining until I got specific test results and went on my own path to recovery.

There is a chance that supplementing thyroid may be the fix however, and either way, youre going to want to start really getting onto a nutrient dense diet now. Thyroid hormone is only part of it - quality calories, sunlight on skin and in eyes, easy maintainable exercise like walking, being cognizant of not breathing heavily(hyperventilation) even at rest are some of key things as well.

True and i like most people on this forum dont want to rely on commercial thyroid medications for life...would like to try natural remedies first. I saw an earlier post from Nathan who said dairy fat like butter and coconut oil has helped him get off thyroid medication with good results so will give that a go.

I have stopped heavy workouts and now my exercise routine is 30mins of moderate walks with occasional light weight machine lifts 4-5 days a week. I dont eat bread and my grain consumption is limited to white rice. I did use to consume a lot of chicken and protein supplements/ pre workouts which may have created problems in my gut. I have had hep-a jaundice as a kid and 5 years ago got deficient in vit d (living in melbourne where sunshine is rare) and cholestrol was up (due to consuming a lot of egg yolks). My vit d and cholestrol are under control now but i think i need to heal my gut/liver further and hopefully that should activate my thyroid more.

OP
A

Andy316

+1
Read up on how thyroid hormones work, start monitoring you body temps etc so you can monitor progress.
If you want to give a bit of an idea of what your lifestyle has been like, or any other clues about the possible causes of your low thyroid state, feel free to post them.
If you decide to get some thyroid from prescription or other means, start small and increment slowly. I'm no expert, but I get the impression that it's easier to increase the dose a little at a time than to figure out the tangle if you go to far too fast. T4 has a long half life (incrementing ~4 weekly can be reasonable). T3 has a shorter half life.

Thanks Tara. I have been an active person my whole life although stress and anxiety come naturally to me. Also been into fitness/bodybuilding for almost 10 years, butmy mistake would have been consuming the wrong things in very high amounts like protein supplements/pre workouts, chicken/eggs, bread and less on good stuff like fruits/veggies and good saturated fats and salt. I have had hep A jaundice as a kid. Also was vit d deficient 5 years ago with high cholestrol (both are under control now). Which gets me thinking that maybe a bad gut/liver may be the cause of my hypothyroid (aka slow metabolism).

tara

Thanks Tara. I have been an active person my whole life although stress and anxiety come naturally to me. Also been into fitness/bodybuilding for almost 10 years, butmy mistake would have been consuming the wrong things in very high amounts like protein supplements/pre workouts, chicken/eggs, bread and less on good stuff like fruits/veggies and good saturated fats and salt. I have had hep A jaundice as a kid. Also was vit d deficient 5 years ago with high cholestrol (both are under control now). Which gets me thinking that maybe a bad gut/liver may be the cause of my hypothyroid (aka slow metabolism).
Chronic energy deficiency - under-eating and/or overworking can be one possible contributor to reducing thyroid function. I don't know if you've pushed the fitness/bodybuilding too far, but some do.

If you want you can use cronometer or similar to see and/or show estimates of nutrition in your food (but ignore its low calorie recommendations).
Supplementing thyroid without adequate nutrition can probably exacerbate some difficulties, so you would probably benefit from looking at this anyway.

If there is remaining liver weakness that might not help, but I I'm no expert on effects of past hep A.

OP
A

Andy316

Here’s me posting so it can get ignored again

Sorry mate didnt see your post. I have tried fresh circumin tea for a while but didnt see any improvements. What do you suggest other natural ways to increase T4?

Wayne J

Dear Peat er's, I am a 35 yo male and new forum member. Recently got my blood test results as indicated below. Doctor says I'm borderline Hypothyroid but refrained from starting any thyroid medicines until after a new test is done 6 months later. Would be really grateful if you think I should try removing excess iron from my system through chelation techniques suggested in prior posts (Cilantro, Kimchi, Zinc, Milk). Also, I understand Hypothyroid is considerable slowing down of metabolic rate, what are some of best tried and tested techniques (Diet, Supplements) you can suggest to bring it back up.

HDL - 46 mg/dl (Range >40 Men)
Triglycerides - 79.4 mg/dl (Desirable <200)
Total Cholesterol - 186.4 mg/dl (Desirable <200)

Iron, Serum 73.95 ug/dl (45 - 60)

TSH - 4.74 mlU/L (Adults 0.27-4.2)

suggest https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/ LOTS of info there