How To Lose Fat Safely

cyclops

It's very difficult to lose weight safely if you are middle aged or older.

I don't think you can put all middle age people in one group. Thats a huge group and there are so many variables and differences. Some will do much better then others. I bet there exist 50 year old men who will lose fat safer then certain 25 year old men.

Last edited:

sladerunner69

@ecstatichamster Great to hear! I think you are on the right track, and with all the extra stresses of life, adding a powerful starvation stress is likely to cause problems.
Slow and steady is likely to dramatically lower the yo-yo effect of weight loss/weight gain and lower the heavy desire for a binge session, which typically eventually leads to the weight that was lost, added back, with some interest.
Once again, a good quality vitamin E is a very potent protector of those stored PUFA, as well as a fully saturated fat ( hydrogenated coconut oil )
Can keep things running high and help keep liberated PUFA from slowing the metabolism down, halting or slowing fat loss. :):

At the same time though, didn't you claim elsewhere that niacinimide and aspirin prevented you from losing fat? I've heard that from other forum members as well. And those two are the lord protectors on stored PUFA's.

OP
ecstatichamster
Except for those people who do it successfully, like Penn. I think he was 60 at the time

it was exceptionally difficult.
At the same time though, didn't you claim elsewhere that niacinimide and aspirin prevented you from losing fat? I've heard that from other forum members as well. And those two are the lord protectors on stored PUFA's.

I take both. Maybe they do hurt. I’m kind of stuck because I must take aspirin and niacinamide for now.

T

tca300

Not prevent fat loss, slow it down. When you are not in a hurry, slow weight loss is probably best anyways. I never recommended B3.

I think vitamin E, and hydrogenated coconut oil are the biggest protectors from PUFA ( stored or consumed ). B3 doesn't really help protect except by keeping stored PUFA from being released into circulation.

Last edited by a moderator:

managing

Not prevent fat loss, slow it down. When you are not in a hurry, slow weight loss is probably best anyways. I never recommended B3.

I think vitamin E, and hydrogenated coconut oil are the biggest protectors from PUFA ( stored or consumed ). B3 doesn't really help protect except by keeping stored PUFA from being released into circulation.
Any thoughts on topical vs internal coconut oil? If you rub it on fat areas, it adsorbs very quickly. Where does it go/what does it do?

T

tca300

Any thoughts on topical vs internal coconut oil? If you rub it on fat areas, it adsorbs very quickly. Where does it go/what does it do?
I use it topically for shaving, brushing teeth, or if I have washed my hands many times on that given day for a moisturizer. Ray has mentioned topically it can be absorbed and have therapeutic effects. I mostly use it internally, and am not sure of whether the topical vs internal effects are different. Topical application isn't likely to help with improved food digestion and or have antimicrobial effects on the intestine. I think topically much less would be absorbed as well.

Losing fat fast is a recipe for lowering metabolism, losing lean mass, and if you are older, never recovering.

Not true.

But if you are 50, you may have problems recovering from it.

Not true for this guy and many other people. And he did the most extreme form of fast fat loss, water-only fasting. Nothing but water for 25 days. And he's over 50.

Untitledn.jpeg

But you can go ahead and pretend that Peat says it's a good idea to lose weight fast.

He doesn't. But not everyone agrees with Peat on every single thing he's said. But he did say this when I sent him a study where a woman cured her cancer the most extreme form of fast fat loss:

I sent Ray the study and he said:

View attachment 2466

But LOSING fat is much more difficult because of the metabolic consequences.

What are the metabolic consequences?

Most people who are FAT and even middle aged (40 or older, let's say) have numerous metabolic problems already.

Yes and losing excess adipose tissue will help, not hinder them.

Losing fat makes their metabolism WORSE. Maybe it's PUFAs draining into their bloodstream. Maybe it's stored toxins now mobilized from the fat loss. Who knows.

Not true for those that didn't experience anything negative from it. You don't have a real argument. According to you, you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. Not everyone wants to live by that. Some people want to actually take action to change their lives. You have to pay the price for the poor choices you've made in the past. There's nothing wrong with that. It's called learning from your mistakes. With health, there are no off days. Everything you do effects you. Outside of getting into an accident or someone deliberately hurting you or being poisoned from your environment, your health is in your own hands with the choices you make every singe day, day after day. Blaming others does nothing.

We can look at the Biggest Loser to see the terrible effects of dramatic and fast weight loss.

TBL is not a good example to use. People who go on that show are seeking some cash and their 15 minutes of fame. They are average fat Americans who got fat by eating SAD. To claim that they didn't go back to eating SAD after they lost all that fat is to ignore facts. They don't care to stick to a diet that will keep them lean. Body fat is about what you eat. There are active people who are still fat because it's the food that determines your body fat.

The people who crash diet and don't understand how to eat afterwards shouldn't be mentioned. Of course they will fail, they don't know what they're doing.

Exactly.

There is a vast social machine at work convincing people the answer to their problems is losing weight, and I believe that is very harmful.

SJW mentality. Take responsibility for yourself.

Last edited:

managing

So lots of people are challenging the notion that weight loss (quick weight loss at least) will reduce metabolism.

Anybody care to talk about how to lose weight quickly w/o reducing metabolism?

OP
ecstatichamster
So lots of people are challenging the notion that weight loss (quick weight loss at least) will reduce metabolism.

the only way I have heard of, is to use chemicals like DNP and other uncouplers.

OP
ecstatichamster
Uncouples metabolism. Essentially uses calories to overproduce ATP and then wastes some of it. A search will bring much more info.

yes, converts energy into waste heat and CO2 basically. Every organism has the ability to do this via certain mitochondrial uncoupling proteins that "waste" energy this way...

Palpatine

Nothing revolutionary here... exercise, preferably weight train with big compound movements a few days a week. Walk other days if you have time. Correct any vitamin and micronutrient deficiencies you might have (zinc, magnesium, d3, k2). Oh yeah... don't eat like a pig.

You'd be surprised how much fat you will actually lose, quickly, if you're even 20 or more pounds overweight.

Peatful

My 49 year old husband just quickly loss 15+ pounds by under eating, meal skipping, cardio daily.

He looks 10 years older; can’t kick his cough/cold; has aches and pains; and is stressed out emotionally/mentally.

I have to wonder if not only weight loss itself is stressful- but if it is also a barometer for what your health was prior to the weight loss.

The adage “you don’t lose weight to be healthy, you have to be healthy to lose weight” comes to mind.

He had terrible sleeping, eating and exercise habits prior to his new routine- and the weight loss has exasperated this Achilles heel.

OP
ecstatichamster
My 49 year old husband just quickly loss 15+ pounds by under eating, meal skipping, cardio daily.

He looks 10 years older; can’t kick his cough/cold; has aches and pains; and is stressed out emotionally/mentally.

I have to wonder if not only weight loss itself is stressful- but if it is also a barometer for what your health was prior to the weight loss.

The adage “you don’t lose weight to be healthy, you have to be healthy to lose weight” comes to mind.

He had terrible sleeping, eating and exercise habits prior to his new routine- and the weight loss has exasperated this Achilles heel.

I’m sorry for your husband and I hope he gets better quickly. I’m seeing this all the time with people who lose weight.

All this society can think about is losing weight. Health be d**mned. I saw it in a friend today who gobbled down two huge Outback steaks and cheesecake, and today 3 burgers (meat only) and cheesecake. The cheesecake is probably loaded with cost-saving PUFA fat and he’s looking thinner and gaunt.

This is the craziness that people are living today. Losing weight uber alles. It is literally sickening people at an astounding rate.

I’m kind of resigned to my fat at this point. I just am not willing to starve myself.

YamnayaMommy

I’m sorry for your husband and I hope he gets better quickly. I’m seeing this all the time with people who lose weight.

All this society can think about is losing weight. Health be d**mned. I saw it in a friend today who gobbled down two huge Outback steaks and cheesecake, and today 3 burgers (meat only) and cheesecake. The cheesecake is probably loaded with cost-saving PUFA fat and he’s looking thinner and gaunt.

This is the craziness that people are living today. Losing weight uber alles. It is literally sickening people at an astounding rate.

I’m kind of resigned to my fat at this point. I just am not willing to starve myself.

Hey, I know you had a bad experience with intermittent fasting and are now anti-fasting. But did you try a “clean fast”—where you consume only plain coffee or tea or unflavored sparkling water during the fast?

There is a popularizer of intermittent fasting, Gin Stephens, who wrote a book, “delay don’t deny,” and runs several Facebook groups with members numbering in the tens, if not hundreds, of thousands. She claims, based on personal experience and abundant member feedback, that the key to making fasting work for you is fasting clean: that it reduces appetite, makes it “effortless” (after a transition period for some of up to a couple weeks), and results in slow and steady fat loss. She has sciencey reasons for why the clean fast matters (clean fast keeps insulin low, fixed hunger hormones, etc.). I lack the credentials to evaluate her claims, but my personal experience is that clean fasting (no sipping juice of broth, no milk in coffee, no gelatin, etc) results in effortless fat loss and improved quality of life.

Stephens has an easy going and casually intelligent personality. She has two podcasts. The first, the “intermittent fasting podcast,” is cohosted with an idiotic millennial who uses “bio hacking” unironically. The second, “intermittent fasting stories,” offers weekly interviews with successful fasters from her FB group. They’re fascinating testimonials that show how different people have used different forms of fasting to lose weight and improve their health. I highly recommend the interview podcast. The other one is okay if you’re, you know, cooking or cleaning and need something new to listen to.

While I really like IF and have twice lost pregnancy weight fast with it, I question whether my thin skin, attenuated libido, and “skinny fat” condition are exacerbated by IF. I’m open to having my mind changed about the healthfulness of fasting. But I think it’s more likely that being seven months postpartum, breastfeeding, and caring for three small children are to blame for all my issues.

And if I had to choose, I’d rather be skinny fat than just fat.

two weeks into an RP plus IF eating patten, I am fitting into my second smallest “goal” jeans, and have had a weird skin excrescence go away. Once I’m done breastfeeding, I want to experiment with some of the “youth hormones” to see what gains can be made with those.

Anyway, I say listen to Gin Stephen’s podcasts and reconsider IF before throwing in the towel on safe, sustained fat loss.

OP
ecstatichamster
No I won’t fast. I think it’s crazy because it releases free fatty acids and increases insulin resistance. Why would I want to do that?

I’m not interested in harming my health to lose some fat. I did that already when I was on low carb, keto, IFing.

I think fasting is very unhealthy unless it’s for an occasional and very health promoting reason, such as trying to recover from disease.

If I were to fast I’d have juice to try to keep the electrolytes up and try to keep FFAs at bay. But I’m not going to fast.

YamnayaMommy

But drinking juice all day isn’t fasting. Then it’s just calorie restriction, and the experience of fasting is totally different than calorie restriction. You get this wonderful zen, empty and light feeling. Your digestion gets a break. You feel powerful because you are exerting your will and mastering your appetite instead of being a slave to your appetite. It doesn’t sound like you’ve given real IFing a shot.

How do you know that eating within an eight-hour window increases insulin resistance and releases FFAs? There are credible doctors who claim that fasting increases insulin sensitivity and that running on fat is not harmful (I understand RP disagrees). I don’t know because I have humanities degrees and am totally ignorant about medicine and biology. But i do know that credentialed health professionals debate these subjects, so the science isn’t settled. And I know that clean fasting seems to work well for a lot of people. So why not try it? Start with a big eating window and gradually scale down.

If you can be overweight and happy/unstressed about it, then don’t sweat it.