HMB, β-hydroxy-β-methylbutyrate, Peat Approved?

Hans

Forum Supporter
A few studies are designed in such a way to over-hype it. It actually loses its benefit with high protein intake. It is effective at controlling elevated cortisol though.
HMB: steroid like results?
But to answer the thread question, it's just a metabolite of leucine and should be totally safe.

Dr. Peat has said that supplements all have dangers and that salt and E are probably safest. I would imagine this may be fine for short term use, but who knows.

Broken man

Hello, I found study where HMB improved gut. The study is with broilers but I think it could help humans too.

olive

I’d save your money unless you plan to do intermittent or extended fasts. What’s special about HMB is it’s ability to preserve muscle without an insulin signal, so you can use it in a fasted state to attenuate catabolism. Apart from that it’s pretty useless unless you are chronically under consuming protein and/or carbs. 1g 3x per day is sufficient. Taste is so-so, might be worth buying capsules if you are sensitive to those things.

Broken man

I’d save your money unless you plan to do intermittent or extended fasts. What’s special about HMB is it’s ability to preserve muscle without an insulin signal, so you can use it in a fasted state to attenuate catabolism. Apart from that it’s pretty useless unless you are chronically under consuming protein and/or carbs. 1g 3x per day is sufficient. Taste is so-so, might be worth buying capsules if you are sensitive to those things.
This is what interests me- http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.888.7989&rep=rep1&type=pdf
https://www.researchgate.net/public...HMB_against_obesity_induced_by_high-fat_diets
Histological and biochemical evaluation of supplementing broiler diet with β-hydroxy-methyl butyrate calcium (β-HMB-Ca)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals