Help On A HIIT Sprinting Protocol?

DannyIrons™

Could anyone who does sprinting for exercise help me with a beginner protocol in the best approach to HIIT sprinting? I’d just like to know;

- Warm up time (walking/jogging)
- how far/long to sprint
- how many times to sprint in a session
- how many days a week
Etc..

Also any technique advice on how to sprint properly would be welcomed (no ‘put one leg in front of the other over again really fast’ jokes please haha)

I don’t want to overdo it to begin with for the sake of my thyroid and will also be maintaining nasal breathing

Thank you!

meatbag

Could anyone who does sprinting for exercise help me with a beginner protocol in the best approach to HIIT sprinting? I’d just like to know;

- how far/long to sprint
- how many days a week
Etc..

Also any technique advice on how to sprint properly would be welcomed (no ‘put one leg in front of the other over again really fast’ jokes please haha)

I don’t want to overdo it to begin with for the sake of my thyroid and will also be maintaining nasal breathing

Thank you!

I think you can prevent a lot of the anti-thyroid effects of training by consuming fructose and proteins higher in bcaa and glycine and lower in methionine and tryptophan
Fructose as a Dieting Tool: 100g Fructose Per Day Exert Sign. Protein Sparing Effects & Ameliorate the Decline in Thyroid Hormones During Starvation Diet in the Obese - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone
Thyroid peroxidase activity is inhibited by amino acids – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

There are lot of different interval training methods, I think it should just be approached like weight lifting with a short 15-30second sprint and then a longer rest period. If you wanna train more for cardio then just shorten the rest period; kind of like weights with low reps and high reps. Tabata seems to be the most popular and they do a 20s:10s sprint:rest

This guys video seems pretty good. Big thing is keep what you're not using relaxed

Strecthing where you move nad doing some plyometric type stuff is a good way to warm up. Static stretching before sprinting can be dangerous

Maybe 20-30 sprints 3x a week would be a good start

Hans

Forum Supporter

- how far/long to sprint
- how many days a week
Etc..

Thank you!
For warmup I would jog the distance that I want to sprint. Then for the next round a little faster and faster until you reach the speed that you want to sprint at. Maybe 3 sets of warm-up.

I would stick to 20m sprints as they will rely mostly on the creatine phosphate pathway. Rest long enough to feel that you are ready to sprint again without breathing through your mouth. Time your rest periods so that next session you can improve on them.

As you get better, add in some 40m sprints and maybe a 100m as well. Hill sprints are also fantastic.

Example workout is 5 20s, 3 40s and 1 100m.

I would start doing sprints twice a week. Then bump up to 3 times per week. There is no need to do more if it's only for health benefits.

Another great form of HIIT is jumping rope. It doesn't tax the muscles or nervous system nearly as much as sprinting. Maybe do one session sprint and one jump rope session per week to start with.
For jump rope I would start with 5 sets of 30 sec with 60sec rest. You can make it more difficult by jumping on one foot, doing doubles, knee to chest, etc.

OP
DannyIrons™

DannyIrons™

For warmup I would jog the distance that I want to sprint. Then for the next round a little faster and faster until you reach the speed that you want to sprint at. Maybe 3 sets of warm-up.

I would stick to 20m sprints as they will rely mostly on the creatine phosphate pathway. Rest long enough to feel that you are ready to sprint again without breathing through your mouth. Time your rest periods so that next session you can improve on them.

I've been sticking to these short sprints, as it's a shock to my body for sure, it hasn't experienced this 'forceful' exercise for a very very long time and is quite difficult and feels unnatural for me - but I quite enjoy it. Could you elaborate on the creatine phosphate pathway? It sounds pretty interesting

Hans

Forum Supporter
I've been sticking to these short sprints, as it's a shock to my body for sure, it hasn't experienced this 'forceful' exercise for a very very long time and is quite difficult and feels unnatural for me - but I quite enjoy it. Could you elaborate on the creatine phosphate pathway? It sounds pretty interesting
Don't run maximal sprints every time. Maybe 80-90% effort would be better.

The creatine phosphate pathway is basically where ATP is rapidly recreated from ADP using a phosphate donated from the phosphocreatine stores. Once the phosphocreatine store run out, glycolysis provides most of the energy up to around 70 seconds of maximal effort exercise.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals