Help I'm Craving Peanut Butter

Luann

...A peanut butter substitute! I switched to one made with palm oil and real sugar (no corn solids) but would like something more Peat-esque?

Peata

What about PB2? That powdered peanut butter. It has only 1 g. fat per 2 T. It's made of peanuts, sugar, salt. There is another one that has cocoa powder in it. You mix it with water to make a consistency you like. Or mix it with coconut oil maybe.

OP
Luann

Luann

Will try that, thanks.
I may have partly cured the problem: haven't had peanut butter in a few days since starting Peat, so when I went to the cupboard for some today, there was a little left that I planned to finish but I couldn't bring myself to eat more than a teaspoon or two, let alone clean out the jar. Perhaps what I wanted the whole time I "craved" it was sugar, and now that I eat more sugar I don't need pb?

DaveFoster

Perhaps what I wanted the whole time I "craved" it was sugar, and now that I eat more sugar I don't need pb?
Definitely. If you eat enough sugar, protein, and salt, all your cravings will lessen, including for fat.

OP
Luann

Luann

Ok thank you, hey Dave I saw that you have done ZeroCarb in one of your comments, how long did you do it for (I have done all-meat for two days with some butter as the only condiment, it was very unique and gave me a new perspective for sure)...?

Barry Obummer

If you buy the natural peanut butter the oil seperates on top and you can just pour it down the drain - LowFat peanut butter! Wha-La, I am a genius.

Last edited:

lindsay

Macadamia nut butter. You'll probably have to make it yourself, but it is delicious and macadamia nuts are mostly MUFA. I made a macadamia nut butter once with a tiny bit of Coconut Oil and some honey - it was SO good!

Also, you can buy Coconut Butter (sometimes called Coconut Manna).

I've determined I don't digest either super great, but they are really tasty, so it's worth a try.

P.S. I started eating cheese back at the end of 2014 and it has eliminated all needs for all these old foods I used to "Need". Turns out cheese is the most addictive food on the planet (according to one article I read) and it's very in line with RP :) Plus, hard cheeses have a decent amount of K2 and Vitamin A, in addition to calcium and protein.

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

If I were you, I'd probably try to find other things to fill the craving - I'm guessing something with some protein + salt + maybe some minerals could be relevant, and those other suggestions of cheese or more saturated nut-butters are worth a go. Have you tried a good liver pate?

But if the craving persists, and you've been used to eating a lot of PB before, I think there might be a case for allowing yourself just a little of it from time to time so you don't feel too deprived. If you eat much less than you used to, you could still be winning.

Also, you can buy Coconut Butter (sometimes called Coconut Manna).
Yum.

thegiantess

There is no replacement for peanut butter. No amount of sugar or fat or whatever will make you not want peanut butter. It's a magical thing. I choose to just not eat it, but for a few times a year. The PB2 idea is a good one as well

OP
Luann

Luann

^^ What you said is pretty much it, giantess. I'm coming to terms with that.

artist

Peanut butter cravings are so common and so specific I'm pretty convinced there is something beneficial or a combination of things in peanut butter that is beyond the obvious. There is definitely no substitute

Cliff Myles

I've been so addicted to peanut butter in the past, that I actually went to an "Addictions Anonymous" meeting once.
They laughed at me, but I was dead-serious !!
I love it, but it is hard on my digestive system in the volume I like to consume ...
I can eat a cup in one sitting like someone else might eat a dish of ice cream. :D

Interesting facts about peanut protein: http://crsps.net/wp-content/downloads/Peanut/Inventoried 8.22/7-1991-4-801.pdf

Last edited:

jyb

Peanut butter cravings are so common and so specific I'm pretty convinced there is something beneficial or a combination of things in peanut butter that is beyond the obvious. There is definitely no substitute

Although this could be an explanation, I'm not sure if our taste buds are rational at all. It could be almost poison and many of us would still eat it if it tastes really good, like peanut butter does. That is why I never agree when people say that there is usually a reason behind cravings: a craving can be due to the food providing something that is useful, but it could also be due to how our taste bud work and how they can be so easily fooled. Taste bud generally do not take into account medium term effect, they are just there for a short term choice: taste bud are fine with food that taste good while eating even if it leaves you poisoned a few hours afterwards. There are many other pufa friend foods that taste delicious and most people cannot resist. Peanut butter tastes salty, fatty and crunchy (=proteins), so I can understand why taste buds like it, and some of it could be useful but probably part of it is dangerous too.

whit

Peanut butter was hard for me to give up. I went cold turkey off of it and never looked back.
Coffee with cream coconut oil and a pinch of salt has a similar flavor to me. That helped me with the craving.
I used to live on pb and jelly sandwiches. There is something comforting about it for sure.

Milky

My happiness went back up a notch when I discovered the PB2 powder. It makes a really good, but light peanut butter if you just follow the directions (1 tbsp of water per 2 tbsp of powder), but you can mix it into any liquid, even honey. My favorite way to use it though is to make peanut butter banana smoothies with 0% Fage yogurt. Fantastic!

javin

I ate peanut butter pretty much every single day for 5 years before starting a Peaty diet, so I'm happy to no longer be eating it. Haven't had the craving for it yet. :p

Although this could be an explanation, I'm not sure if our taste buds are rational at all. It could be almost poison and many of us would still eat it if it tastes really good, like peanut butter does. That is why I never agree when people say that there is usually a reason behind cravings: a craving can be due to the food providing something that is useful, but it could also be due to how our taste bud work and how they can be so easily fooled. Taste bud generally do not take into account medium term effect, they are just there for a short term choice: taste bud are fine with food that taste good while eating even if it leaves you poisoned a few hours afterwards. There are many other pufa friend foods that taste delicious and most people cannot resist. Peanut butter tastes salty, fatty and crunchy (=proteins), so I can understand why taste buds like it, and some of it could be useful but probably part of it is dangerous too.

It doesn't make it fake or useless... craving something crunchy in a stressful situation is just like when you bite on something to ease a pain so there is a benefit.

jyb

It doesn't make it fake or useless... craving something crunchy in a stressful situation is just like when you bite on something to ease a pain so there is a benefit.

But that's a short term ease in pain, what if the medium term outcome is worse... I think that's a problem for almost everything discussed on health forums, being able to say whether a short term solution to an acute problem is actually any good at preventing it.

I think another good example is hot bread or cake straight out of the oven. In the short term, makes you happy and I feel is pretty addictive. But after taking into gluten, what it has done to your gut and possibly your brain...

artist

My point is that salty, fatty and crunchy can be found in many many foods yet none of these other foods will fill that gap. Our understanding of nutrition is still pretty limited which is why I don't really trust when people think they know exactly why someone is craving some really specific thing and insist some other thing is just as good. I avoid all PUFA myself but I keep it in the back of my mind

Look there's a million things that drive the people to that particular food, not last the memories that they have with it. "Salty, fatty and crunchy" are not the only three variables in the world of food. Also if you were an animal inside a tiny cage would you refrain from biting the bars because it's a "short term solution"?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals