Hair Loss (AGA) And Low Blood Flow: What Everyone Gets Wrong

Soren

Forum Supporter
Good article from Rob at Perfect Hair Health.

Basically presents a counter to the mainstream view that reduced blood flow to the scalp only occurs after the hair stops growing in other words reduced blood flow is not causative but rather a secondary event.

He presents evidence that what actually occurs is a build up of scar tissue on the dermal and connective tissue sheaths of the hair follicle this causes a reduction in blood and this reduction in blood flow then causes the hair to shed. So reduced blood flow is the cause of hair loss but the way by which the blood flow is reduced makes it appear that it is not. Really you could say that scar tissue is the cause of hair loss because this leads to the reduced blood flow. Either way it is the reduction of blood through some means that results in the hair loss.

"Fascinatingly, we see scar tissue accumulation in two locations surrounding AGA hairs: the dermal and connective tissue sheaths. And in later stages, this scar tissue creeps up to the surface — known as perifollicular fibrosis — which creates the infamous “shine” of a decades-bald scalp."

"It’s most likely that the excess disorganized accumulation of mesodermal tissue (i.e., fibrosis) is what first signals an AGA hair to prematurely miniaturize… even if it’s still in its anagen phase.
Importantly, AGA-related scar tissue accumulation is chronic and progressive. Without serious intervention (i.e., removing whatever is causing the fibrosis), scar tissue continues to accumulate, leading to progressive hair follicle miniaturization — particularly the kind seen in AGA. And if enough scar tissue accumulates… hair can no longer grow."

Furthermore he states that this scar tissue is built up due to chronic inflammation and for most people this inflammation is due to chronic tension in the scalp. Anyone familiar with Rob's work knows that he regrew his hair using scalp massages and that he has a regime to do just that.

"The chronic, involuntary contraction of the muscles along the perimeter of our scalps.
In my interview with Dr. Freund (a hair loss researcher from the University of Toronto), he mentions that in men with AGA, the muscles surrounding the scalp are almost always chronically involuntarily contracted."

"And the craziest part? We can’t even tell it’s happening.
Interestingly, these muscles are connected to the underlying tissues at the tops of our scalps. So when the muscles contract, the tops of our scalps pull tightly (like a drum)."

"This causes two things to happen in AGA-prone scalp tissues: Blood flow reduces to balding regions Inflammation increases"

My questions after reading this article are aside from implementing the scalp massages that he recommends to reduce scalp tension, what else could be done to remove fibrosis and are there any peat methods, supplements or topicals that could be used to speed up the removal of fibrosis from the mesodermal tissue.

Obviously anything that helps with the removal of scar tissue could be beneficial. The things I am thinking of have been discussed many times on this forum in regards to the topic of hair loss;

Aspirin, caffeine, serotonin antagonists. There are a number of Idealabs supplements that come to mind, defibron for example.

To reduce muscles contracting due to scalp tension I was thinking of magnesium.

I am going to email/message Rob with a list of potential peat like supplements treatments and see what his opinion on them is for reducing scalp tension and fibrosis. Anyone with any ideas of certain things that I should include please let me know.

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

Basically presents a counter to the mainstream view that reduced blood flow to the scalp only occurs after the hair stops growing in other words reduced blood flow is not causative but rather a secondary event.

He presents evidence that what actually occurs is a build up of scar tissue on the dermal and connective tissue sheaths of the hair follicle this causes a reduction in blood and this reduction in blood flow then causes the hair to shed. So reduced blood flow is the cause of hair loss but the way by which the blood flow is reduced makes it appear that it is not. Really you could say that scar tissue is the cause of hair loss because this leads to the reduced blood flow. Either way it is the reduction of blood through some means that results in the hair loss.

"Fascinatingly, we see scar tissue accumulation in two locations surrounding AGA hairs: the dermal and connective tissue sheaths. And in later stages, this scar tissue creeps up to the surface — known as perifollicular fibrosis — which creates the infamous “shine” of a decades-bald scalp."

"It’s most likely that the excess disorganized accumulation of mesodermal tissue (i.e., fibrosis) is what first signals an AGA hair to prematurely miniaturize… even if it’s still in its anagen phase.
Importantly, AGA-related scar tissue accumulation is chronic and progressive. Without serious intervention (i.e., removing whatever is causing the fibrosis), scar tissue continues to accumulate, leading to progressive hair follicle miniaturization — particularly the kind seen in AGA. And if enough scar tissue accumulates… hair can no longer grow."

Furthermore he states that this scar tissue is built up due to chronic inflammation and for most people this inflammation is due to chronic tension in the scalp. Anyone familiar with Rob's work knows that he regrew his hair using scalp massages and that he has a regime to do just that.

"The chronic, involuntary contraction of the muscles along the perimeter of our scalps.
In my interview with Dr. Freund (a hair loss researcher from the University of Toronto), he mentions that in men with AGA, the muscles surrounding the scalp are almost always chronically involuntarily contracted."

Interestingly, these muscles are connected to the underlying tissues at the tops of our scalps. So when the muscles contract, the tops of our scalps pull tightly (like a drum)."

"This causes two things to happen in AGA-prone scalp tissues: Blood flow reduces to balding regions Inflammation increases"

My questions after reading this article are aside from implementing the scalp massages that he recommends to reduce scalp tension, what else could be done to remove fibrosis and are there any peat methods, supplements or topicals that could be used to speed up the removal of fibrosis from the mesodermal tissue.

Obviously anything that helps with the removal of scar tissue could be beneficial. The things I am thinking of have been discussed many times on this forum in regards to the topic of hair loss;

Aspirin, caffeine, serotonin antagonists. There are a number of Idealabs supplements that come to mind, defibron for example.

I am going to email/message Rob with a list of potential peat like supplements treatments and see what his opinion on them is for reducing scalp tension and fibrosis. Anyone with any ideas of certain things that I should include please let me know.

Those are good ideas. I would also think topical K2, Lysine, Glycine, and Proline, probably in that order. Haidut also mentioned that cardenosine would be useful, especially with solban, and I know he also mentioned topical Taurine, as well. All of those substances would probably be useful systemically, as well (if you don't want to apply tons of different substances to your scalp).

Another idea, as mentioned by Andrew Fletcher of Inclined Bed Therapy, would be inversion therapy. Basically, tilting upside down (head down, feet up), to get blood flow to the scalp. You'd want to limit the time in this position, probably no more than 5-20 minutes a day max, as most of your body systems use make use of gravity best while standing upright, or when lying inclined (head up, feet down). I think he mentioned some people regrowing hair while doing this (although I think stretching the back was the main target of treatment). If you do this, do it well after any meal, otherwise gravity will be working the wrong direction on your digestive track, and I'm guessing the results could be very unpleasant.

Broken man

I think this was tried here without success for long time. I more believe travis thoughts about hairloss.

LCohen

I'm convinced. It's all about fibrosis and-or calcification. Targeting fibrosis significantly stops my hair loss.

Sadly treatment is limited. Glucocorticoids can stop and reverse collagen accumulation.

I am using Dexamethasone which completely stops my hair loss. I can see my temples are re-forming. Bald temples started to get "scalpy" looking. Minor hairs are growing.

Taurine is a powerful anti-fibrotic too and unlike Glucocorticoids, it's completely safe don't have any side effect.

I've been using micronized progesterone too. Almost 2 year. But I can't see a sharp effect like DEX or Taurine.

xetawaves

I'm convinced. It's all about fibrosis and-or calcification. Targeting fibrosis significantly stops my hair loss.

Sadly treatment is limited. Glucocorticoids can stop and reverse collagen accumulation.

I am using Dexamethasone which completely stops my hair loss. I can see my temples are re-forming. Bald temples started to get "scalpy" looking. Minor hairs are growing.

Taurine is a powerful anti-fibrotic too and unlike Glucocorticoids, it's completely safe don't have any side effect.

I've been using micronized progesterone too. Almost 2 year. But I can't see a sharp effect like DEX or Taurine.

So does dexamethasone almost completely stop your shedding?
So you don’t really notice any benefits from progesterone? It seems to really work for some guys.

Does anyone in here know why taurine makes me shed so bad? I shed like a dog when I take the stuff..

Last edited:
there's been cases of men losing hair, then going on some female hormones, and growing it all back. i don't think it is permanent.

there was a case of a women losing all her hair, then she got on thyroid and zinc, and she grew it all back.

if calcification is the problem, then simply having a really high calcium diet should reverse, no? Calcium and Disease: Hypertension, organ calcification, & shock, vs. respiratory energy
There are several such paradoxes: As bones lose calcium, the soft tissues calcify; when less calcium is eaten, blood calcium may increase, along with calcium in many organs and tissues; if an organ such as the heart is deprived of calcium for a short time, its cells lose their ability to respond normally to calcium, and instead they take up a large, toxic amount of calcium.
Magnesium deficiency and calcium deficiency have some similar symptoms (such as cramping), but magnesium is antagonistic to calcium in many systems. It is the basic protective calcium blocker.

i agree though on the "low blood flow". however i think it is a symptom of a greater problem, like your digestion is messed up or something and that lack of blood flow is actually causing less digestive juices or something and that is the after effect.

his website has good info, but he is ALL OVER THE PLACE, i can't really blame him, but he just posts every single possible route and cause all spread out. he has this post, then he has a post saying nutrient deficiencies and explain like 5 different vitamins and minerals that could cause hair loss. it feels like too much reading his stuff, but again good research, but it isn't good at connecting the dots.

i feel like danny roddy pretty much has it down, if your prolactin is high, you will lose your hair, or do everything diet wise to lower it. so interesting that if calcification is the problem, calcium is pretty much what lowers prolactin via calcium/magnesium and with good vitamin D?

Davinci

Those are good ideas. I would also think topical K2, Lysine, Glycine, and Proline, probably in that order. Haidut also mentioned that cardenosine would be useful, especially with solban, and I know he also mentioned topical Taurine, as well. All of those substances would probably be useful systemically, as well (if you don't want to apply tons of different substances to your scalp).

How does one find topical taurine?

tankasnowgod

How does one find topical taurine?

You could look for Taurine that is already in a liquid solution, but you can easily make it yourself. Just get some taurine powder, and mix it in water. It dissolves perfectly. You can also add a bit of ethanol to the mixture if you want.

Davinci

You could look for Taurine that is already in a liquid solution, but you can easily make it yourself. Just get some taurine powder, and mix it in water. It dissolves perfectly. You can also add a bit of ethanol to the mixture if you want.

Thanks!

CDT

Hi there, hope all is well! Just read your comment and was wondering what massages you perform on the scalp to reduce calcification/fibrosis, etc. and improve blood flow?

ddjd

@LCohen out of interest does the Dexamethasone make you ridiculously tired?

Did you see my thread about how Folinic Acid stopped my hair shedding. In my case I think it all relates to poor methylation and DNA production. But no doubt high Cortisol and high Prolactin ties into it somehow also

CDT

Did you see my thread about how Folinic Acid stopped my hair shedding. In my case I think it all relates to poor methylation and DNA production. But no doubt high Cortisol and high Prolactin ties into it somehow also
Interesting you mention prolactin. From what you have seen, is the effect of prolactin and cortisol reversible when one takes precautions to mitigate their effect?

LCohen

Nope. Actually, it made me feel great on first days. Increased my energy. I always combine DEX with magnesium oxide. I have never see a side effect from it.

Repas du soir

I think this was tried here without success for long time. I more believe travis thoughts about hairloss.

Does he have a specific thread for this? I've seen the The Travis Corner, but that seems like a giant thread to sift through (I will probably end up sifting through it at some point).