Glycogen, Metabolism, And Insomnia

Brian fitusi

I'm trying to wrap my head around some issues I've been having with some nocturnal insomnia. I recently started increasing my carbohydrate intake a few weeks ago. I never thought about my nutrition beforehand, and mostly ate what would most probably be considered a low carb diet. I was a pretty avid fitness enthusiast; mountain climbing, uphill and downhill running, weight training, and road biking, and more. Considering the amount of exercise I was getting, and the food I was ingesting, I know doubt believe I was hypothyroid, and possibly diabetic. So, after ingesting copious amounts of carbs, and eliminating my workouts apart from a once a week resistance training session, it somehow lead to some serious insomnia, with difficult breathing, and frequent urination. When I started my temps where low, and pulse low as well. Well, the past couple nights have progressively gotten worse. So, last nite I went to bed around ten, and know doubt knew that I could not fall asleep. That's when I decided to go for a light jog, with a few hill sprints, and performed several exercises; after which I took a hot shower, and back to bed feeling much better. After several minutes, my difficulty breathing came to a halt, my mouth got moist, and my breathing felt free. It was as if a mountain had been lifted off of my shoulders. I feel into a deep sleep, and woke up feeling really good. As I write this, I'm feeling my best yet, and feel like I have energy for days. All the work I've been doing for the past two weeks is now starting to make sense, and I believe coming into fruition.

So, now I'm curious if anybody can describe why some of my symptoms of insomnia took place. What are the ramifications of someone coming into a High carb diet who is hypothytroid, and starts consuming copious amounts of carbs? I'm trying to understand this more clearly, and I believe it's leading me to how metabolism works, and it's effects on someone who is hypothyroid, as opposed to someone with normal metabolic functions.

I feel like everyone here has this fear of physical exertion. Sure it has gotten better with discussion but I still feel like its lingering. People need to move, I went no exercise and I felt like crap, and then I went and worked out and I felt like a man again and my testosterone defiantly went up because my libido was through the roof, on top of that my hair even thickened.

What I'm trying to say is as long as you enjoy the workout and even the challenge of it, it will be beneficial. If you go beyond that point (the one we all know and have felt) then it is stressful and damaging.

I theorize that the reason you felt better is because you artificially raised your metabolic rate by exercising. You increased your energy needs so your body produced more energy. Hopefully you did this using carbs instead of fats, because the fats would hurt your RMR (resting metabolic rate), the one that matters.

The increase in metabolic rate is likely the reason for the benefits.

raypeatclips

A lack of exercise, a day in the house just playing games, or lazing around will guarantee I have a poor nights sleep and feeling restless. Exercise really does help with sleep, and so many other issues. My recent increase in exercise has a whole host of positive benefits. Over exercise also gives me insomnia, but I've found its far easier to under exercise than over exercise, it was very obvious when I was over exercising and got insomnia (trying to beat my leg press PB for example)

More "gentle" exercise such as daily walking, light weights or body weight exercise I haven't noticed any negatives with sleep

I remember James IV mentioning before that he didn't think a high carb diet worked for people unless they were very active, and thought Peat agreed with him. Perhaps high carb works for people that are smashing stimulants such as caffeine or taking thyroid. It wouldn't surprise me if exercise is necessary for "regular" people eating a high carb diet if they're not doing things like that.

lampofred

Exercise temporarily raises metabolism and body temperature. That's why so many people feel "high" after working out. Peat does encourage mild/moderate resistance exercise but not endurance exercise.

Exercise temporarily raises metabolism and body temperature. That's why so many people feel "high" after working out. Peat does encourage mild/moderate resistance exercise but not endurance exercise.
So do you know if there is any effect of moderate exercise on the RMR? Because I have benefits of a workout throughout the whole week even on off days. Could it be that working out raises the MR and then feeding proper metabolism keeps it there?

My read is that you were pretty insulin resistant coming from low carb, and eating more carbs led to more wild blood sugar undulations which are not conducive to sleep. Exercising before bed sucked your blood sugar into the muscles and lead to good hormonal stabilization.

tara

In addition to the other ideas above, you might also have improved CO2 levels by getting some exercise, and that might have helped sleep?

OP
Brian fitusi

Brian fitusi

Great feedback! It’s interesting because I talked to Mr. Roddy about it, and I think he was under the impression that I may have been exercising to regulate my thyroid, which clearly wasn’tthe case, and I think some people try to take that route. It was crazy, cause when I started my jog it felt like I could go forever, a feeling I never had when I use to train.
I’m not sure what wild sugar blood undulations are; can you expand on that more robknob?
My read is that you were pretty insulin resistant coming from low carb, and eating more carbs led to more wild blood sugar undulations which are not conducive to sleep. Exercising before bed sucked your blood sugar into the muscles and lead to good hormonal stabilization.

Last edited:
OP
Brian fitusi

Brian fitusi

In addition to the other ideas above, you might also have improved CO2 levels by getting some exercise, and that might have helped sleep?[/QUOTE
A lack of exercise, a day in the house just playing games, or lazing around will guarantee I have a poor nights sleep and feeling restless. Exercise really does help with sleep, and so many other issues. My recent increase in exercise has a whole host of positive benefits. Over exercise also gives me insomnia, but I've found its far easier to under exercise than over exercise, it was very obvious when I was over exercising and got insomnia (trying to beat my leg press PB for example)

More "gentle" exercise such as daily walking, light weights or body weight exercise I haven't noticed any negatives with sleep

I remember James IV mentioning before that he didn't think a high carb diet worked for people unless they were very active, and thought Peat agreed with him. Perhaps high carb works for people that are smashing stimulants such as caffeine or taking thyroid. It wouldn't surprise me if exercise is necessary for "regular" people eating a high carb diet if they're not doing things like that.

Who’s James IV? I did notice that I had some insomnia issues when I was overtraining. I clearly remember some big climbs that I did, and had some difficulty sleeping that evening, which shocked me because of the amount of exertion that it would take to climb over 4000 ft at elevation. You would think that you would sleep like a baby, and it was quite the opposite, but it all makes sense now. I’m pretty stoked, because I think I have the tools now to exercise efficiently, and without too many withdrawals.

iu

Good diagram of the reactive hypoglycemia phenomenon

OP
Brian fitusi

Brian fitusi

I feel like everyone here has this fear of physical exertion. Sure it has gotten better with discussion but I still feel like its lingering. People need to move, I went no exercise and I felt like crap, and then I went and worked out and I felt like a man again and my testosterone defiantly went up because my libido was through the roof, on top of that my hair even thickened.

What I'm trying to say is as long as you enjoy the workout and even the challenge of it, it will be beneficial. If you go beyond that point (the one we all know and have felt) then it is stressful and damaging.

I theorize that the reason you felt better is because you artificially raised your metabolic rate by exercising. You increased your energy needs so your body produced more energy. Hopefully you did this using carbs instead of fats, because the fats would hurt your RMR (resting metabolic rate), the one that matters.

The increase in metabolic rate is likely the reason for the benefits.

Im
Sounds like high blood sugar

My understanding is that carbs+insulin resistance creates large insulin secretion and subsequent hypoglycemia which triggers cortisol/adrenaline, basically chaotic endocrine activity.
So, you think because I may have been insulin resistant coming into a high carb diet it triggered many of my symptoms? Do you know how you would regulate a high blood sugar levels? I'm definitely curious as to what the right approach would be coming into a high carb diet from a low carb diet?

So, you think because I may have been insulin resistant
Yes, it is only natural to be so on a low carb diet.
Do you know how you would regulate a high blood sugar levels? I'm definitely curious as to what the right approach would be coming into a high carb diet from a low carb diet?
A gradual increase in carbs seems reasonable. I think circadian rhythm is an under-appreciated concept in terms of endocrine regulation. I personally like to get sunlight upon waking in the morning, this can powerfully tune your circadian rhythm, then i exercise and afterwards gorge on carbs and protein, tending to save the fats for nightime. Nightime is naturally a catabolic time, I think this should be embraced

I view sunlight as an anabolic signal, and its radiation an anabolic agent... pretty much across the biosphere including plants and diurnal animals.

OP
Brian fitusi

Brian fitusi

Yes, it is only natural to be so on a low carb diet.

A gradual increase in carbs seems reasonable. I think circadian rhythm is an under-appreciated concept in terms of endocrine regulation. I personally like to get sunlight upon waking in the morning, this can powerfully tune your circadian rhythm, then i exercise and afterwards gorge on carbs and protein, tending to save the fats for nightime. Nightime is naturally a catabolic time, I think this should be embraced
What would you consider a gradual increase. Do you think I should aim for a reset. I’ve been aiming for 200-300 carbs a day, but haven’t been that accurate in keeping track. I know Ray aims for 300-400 a day I believe. Unfortunately, I’m up pretty early for work, so don’t get to spend much time in the sun, except for maybe once a week when I get to golf, but will definitely take that into consideration on the weekends. Sheesh! You seem pretty dialed in...

What would you consider a gradual increase. Do you think I should aim for a reset. I’ve been aiming for 200-300 carbs a day, but haven’t been that accurate in keeping track. I know Ray aims for 300-400 a day I believe. Unfortunately, I’m up pretty early for work, so don’t get to spend much time in the sun, except for maybe once a week when I get to golf, but will definitely take that into consideration on the weekends. Sheesh! You seem pretty dialed in...
I would just go with your cravings during the day, more activity, physical and mental, increases the requirement. In terms of sunlight, it only takes a few seconds of solar radiation through the eye to calibrate your clock upon waking, doesn't matter if its cloudy, bright artificial light can also have some efficacy w/ regards to circadian tuning. But yes, the more sunlight you get during the day, the more anabolic/glycolytic your metabolism will be.

OP
Brian fitusi

Brian fitusi

I would just go with your cravings during the day, more activity, physical and mental, increases the requirement. In terms of sunlight, it only takes a few seconds of solar radiation through the eye to calibrate your clock upon waking, doesn't matter if its cloudy, bright artificial light can also have some efficacy w/ regards to circadian tuning. But yes, the more sunlight you get during the day, the more anabolic/glycolytic your metabolism will be.
Good stuff! So, I don’t think I’m that in tune with my cravings. I think I’ve become a bit desensitized, especially since starting a high carb diet. I think In the beginning the focus was on more milk, and more juice. I was so scared of dairy before I started this way of eating, and was brainwahed into thinking how bad it is for us. So, when you say cravings, are you referring to sweet, salty, or just food in general. Do you think it’s important to wait until hunger arrives to eat. Before I started the high carb diet; I would generally eat seasonal, and whatever looked good at the Farmers market. I still do, but it seems like I’m mostly admiring the fruit than the vegetable now. I also have a wife, and kid, so there a bit of a fine line. I’m actually scratching my head to find new, and exciting recipes that aren’t always so starchy.

Do you think it’s important to wait until hunger arrives to eat.
Yes
that aren’t always so starchy.
This is a big debate on the forum, I think most eat starch with no problems, it usually is metabolized quickly and efficiently. A breakfast of eggs and toast is very insulinogenic/fast digesting, and should have one feeling hungry by 2h postmeal. I tend to favor insulinogenic meals like this earlier in the day, fattier meals later. Adding fat will slow things down, a high fat meal is good to keep one going for 6h w/out a meal, more or less, one may favor this effect for their work schedule/convenience. Thinking about insulin sensitivity, macro ratios, timing etc is important for getting what you want out of food.

Glassy

Could it be that the exercise increased the amount of CO2 in your blood and led to better oxygenation within your body? Have you tried any breathing techniques to increase your blood CO2 levels (slowing down breathing, controlled pauses on exhalation, bag breathing, etc)? Might be worth investigating.

Exercising while breathing strictly through your nose or consciously slowing down/restricting your breathing is an interesting activity in itself. I breath less and better after doing it.

OP
Brian fitusi

Brian fitusi

Could it be that the exercise increased the amount of CO2 in your blood and led to better oxygenation within your body? Have you tried any breathing techniques to increase your blood CO2 levels (slowing down breathing, controlled pauses on exhalation, bag breathing, etc)? Might be worth investigating.

Exercising while breathing strictly through your nose or consciously slowing down/restricting your breathing is an interesting activity in itself. I breath less and better after doing it.
I think that’s very possible. I did do some bag breathing last nite, as well as breathing through my nose while exercising, which was quite challenging. I also have an intermittent hypoxic training unit that I’ve been using which simulated altitude training. I think rob knob is pretty spot on, and my blood sugar is most likely too high with too much insulin running through my blood. Don’t know for sure though. I did get some sleep though last nite, so my confidence is steadily improving.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals