Fructose Malabsorption

Cirion

Interesting thoughts.

Any other options besides MCT oil and hydrogenated coconut oil? That sounds pretty boring long term lol. What's the fat content of cocoa butter of SFA vs. PUFA?

According to selfnutrition data, 100 grams of cocoa butter has 3,0 grams of PUFA. 100 grams of butter has less: 2,0 grams of PUFA.

There is also palm kernel oil, which has 1,6 garms of PUFA in 100 grams. You could use 100 grams or so of cocoa butter or butter or palm kernel oil( or a mix of these) and from this amount upwards, you use hydrogenated coconut oil or MCT oil. Doing this, you can still ingest a lot of fat and calories without going overboard on PUFA.

As for the ratios of SFA:PUFA, cocoa butter has a ratio of 20:1, butter, 17:1, and palm kernel oil, 51:1( approximately)

Hans

Forum Supporter
Forgot to mention in my other post, the SFA to PUFA ratio is almost just as important than total amount of PUFA intake. MCT oil and lauric acid would be oxidized first in the body, before PUFAs, but PUFAs are oxidized before other long chain saturated fats. Oleic acid is also oxidized almost as fast as lauric acid and would thus be oxidized before PUFAs.
Stearic acid competes and displaces PUFAs from cell membranes, and then a little oleic acid will help to speed up PUFA detoxification by the liver.
Vitamin E and iodine can be used to saturate PUFAs and prevent it from lipid peroxidation, and a little aspirin can be used to prevent it from creating toxic prostaglandins, leukotrienes, etc.

managing

According to selfnutrition data, 100 grams of cocoa butter has 3,0 grams of PUFA. 100 grams of butter has less: 2,0 grams of PUFA.

There is also palm kernel oil, which has 1,6 garms of PUFA in 100 grams. You could use 100 grams or so of cocoa butter or butter or palm kernel oil( or a mix of these) and from this amount upwards, you use hydrogenated coconut oil or MCT oil. Doing this, you can still ingest a lot of fat and calories without going overboard on PUFA.
I just bought a 3.5 lb tub of Ghee at Costco. It doesn't say "grassfed" but it is from Canada (BC) and the vast majority of their cattle I understand to be grazed.

But there is a fair amount of MUFA in these (cocoa, palm, butter) as well.

Cirion

Forgot to mention in my other post, the SFA to PUFA ratio is almost just as important than total amount of PUFA intake. MCT oil and lauric acid would be oxidized first in the body, before PUFAs, but PUFAs are oxidized before other long chain saturated fats. Oleic acid is also oxidized almost as fast as lauric acid and would thus be oxidized before PUFAs.
Stearic acid competes and displaces PUFAs from cell membranes, and then a little oleic acid will help to speed up PUFA detoxification by the liver.
Vitamin E and iodine can be used to saturate PUFAs and prevent it from lipid peroxidation, and a little aspirin can be used to prevent it from creating toxic prostaglandins, leukotrienes, etc.

Good to know, didn't know that stearic acid > PUFA > other sat fats was the burn order, all the more reason to focus on stearic acids vs. just any saturated fats.

What's some examples of oleic acid?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Good to know, didn't know that stearic acid > PUFA > other sat fats was the burn order, all the more reason to focus on stearic acids vs. just any saturated fats.

What's some examples of oleic acid?
Animal fat, such as beef, lamb, maybe goat and game, do contain a fair amount of oleic acid.
A little bit of olive would also work.:thumbsup:

I just bought a 3.5 lb tub of Ghee at Costco. It doesn't say "grassfed" but it is from Canada (BC) and the vast majority of their cattle I understand to be grazed.

But there is a fair amount of MUFA in these (cocoa, palm, butter) as well.
Ghee is good too. Fat from ruminant animals are safer, since they convert PUFAs that they ingest into SFAs, so even if it's not grass fed, it's not bad( at least from a PUFA point of view).

Yes, about 30 percent of the fats in butter and ghee are monounsaturated fats.
It's interesting that, as @Travis as well as other members have pointed out here in the forum, what you feed the chickens and pigs affect their fatty acid profile. So the fat of these animals would be very good from a metabolic point of view if they were fed coconuts. Their fat would be only 3% PUFA.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...iment_The_Pukapuka_and_Tokelau_Island_studies

OP
T

Tbone107

Quick update, first off thanks to everyone that chimed in.

I am doing MUCH better from lowering overall fruit intake, dropping honey and switching for white sugar, organic cane sugar, Mexican coke, organic lemonade, maple syrup, white rice, white potatos, and milk.

Looks for me that I just need to keep the fructose to glucose ratio as close to 1:1 as possible and with that all of my problems (stomach ache, diaherrea, bloating) all go away.

Cirion

Not all fruit is extremely high fructose. One of my staples, grapes, actually have slightly higher glucose than fructose. I believe the fructose to glucose ratio of grapes are like 0.9. so I still like to have plenty of those. Before you ditch fruit, I recommend looking up ones that are lower in fructose.

OP
T

Tbone107

I am still eating blueberries, 1-2 oranges a day and some pomegranate. Those all seem to work well.

managing

Not all fruit is extremely high fructose. One of my staples, grapes, actually have slightly higher glucose than fructose. I believe the fructose to glucose ratio of grapes are like 0.9. so I still like to have plenty of those. Before you ditch fruit, I recommend looking up ones that are lower in fructose.
Problem with grapes is that they are impossible to get ripe unless you are growing them.

Nope. Those aren't ripe. You've just been trained to have a very low reference point for ripeness in grapes. In terms of sugar development, most commercially available table grapes are 25-30% away from ripe. In terms of phenolics, maybe even more so.

OP
T

Tbone107

I believe RP is against pomegranate due to the arils. Are likely to irritate the gut.

I know, they agree with me while obviously a majority of fruits don’t die to there fructose to glucose ratio so I live with it

managing

I know, they agree with me while obviously a majority of fruits don’t die to there fructose to glucose ratio so I live with it
Cool. I am here to inform (and be informed). You clearly "Perceive, Think, Act" which is REALLY what its all about.

OP
T

Tbone107

Although the bloating and stomach pain has gone away, I am still dealing with pretty constant stomach gurgling and loose stools 2-3x a day. They’ve gotten better but I feel like it’s kind of plateaued.

Would replacing some of the sucrose with dextrose be a bad idea from a peat perspective? Any other thoughts on how I can clear this last hurdle?

jet9

I'm relying mostly on starches for carbs. Not the best Peat wise, but I feel good eating them. Sugar seems to depress me instead of being energizing.
what do you eat for starch? also does any sugar makes you depressed including fruits?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals